Republican National Convention in Charlotte

HopHead

1 hour ago, tarwater said:

The RNC will definitely bring large protests (I'll join them).  Whether or not they turn into riots will depend on how the cops respond.

Ya...  It's always the darn cops that start the riots.  

Don't riot.  Don't destroy the city.  Don't kill people.   See if you can your buddies can follow those simple requests.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Let's not start this back-and-forth again (and again).

Honestly, I am unsure if this is just a call for people to not throw political dirt and take sides or if it's just a warning that the only point of view that's acceptable to be spoken here is the progressive left and to not bother with anything outside of those talking points.  Truly unsure.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

Honestly, I am unsure if this is just a call for people to not throw political dirt and take sides or if it's just a warning that the only point of view that's acceptable to be spoken here is the progressive left and to not bother with anything outside of those talking points.  Truly unsure.  

I'm referring to the cascading whirlpool (if you'll forgive the contradicting terms) of back-and-forth that never gets anywhere, and always has the unique ability to become crude mud-slinging from any given side in an instant.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JBS said:

I think you spoke ill of the President here...

Very unlikely we lose out on future companies and events because we host the RNC.  Has that ever happened anywhere?  This is a major political party and a lot of people support this guy.  Also, hosting is supported by our Democrat, female, African-American Mayor. 

I think it's very unlikely that the RNC will bring riots (with the heavy police presence and the prior riots being unprecedented for Charlotte).  I definitely don't think it's definite.

Look, I detest the dotard and absolutely do NOT want the RNC here for so many reasons.  However, there is a fair amount of hyperbole in your post.  Also, we could likely negotiate terms that would be extraordinarily favorable for us since no one else wants this thing.  

Please don't put words in my mouth. If I wanted to disparage the president or anyone else, I would. I am not one to mince words. I'm honestly not even sure how you came to the conclusion that that's what I was doing.

As for you asking if any city has lost out on future opportunities due to hosting a political convention, I ask you has there ever been such a polarizing candidate in recent history? That is the difference. Now, I believe I said it before, but in case I didn't - this only applies if the current president is seeking reelection. 

That statement is also tied to our struggle with HB2. There will be people linking the two together (right or wrong is not in question here) and there will be some sort of push back or repurcussion in one way or another. 

The mayor's personal demographics have nothing to do with her decision to support this bid. I should hope that those are not factors that influence her decision making in regards to what's right or wrong for Charlotte..... and anyone is capable of making bad decisions regardless of race, gender, etc. 

As I was getting off of the train today, I heard someone say "Get this n---er off the train". I don't know who said it or who it was directed towards, but that's not something I want multiplied for a week, and that will happen. Mr. President tends to attract those kinds of people. Those people gathering tend to attract counterprotesters. 

You may not agree with me, but empirical data points to a decent likelihood. 

1 hour ago, Hunted said:

lol wut?! Only sometimes?

I think the riots in Iran, for example, against the mullahs were not the fault of the rioters.  I think some of the race riots (including after the assassination of MLK) were mostly the fault of racist white Americans.  Shall I continue?

1 hour ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

Please don't put words in my mouth. If I wanted to disparage the president or anyone else, I would. I am not one to mince words. I'm honestly not even sure how you came to the conclusion that that's what I was doing.

As for you asking if any city has lost out on future opportunities due to hosting a political convention, I ask you has there ever been such a polarizing candidate in recent history? That is the difference. Now, I believe I said it before, but in case I didn't - this only applies if the current president is seeking reelection. 

That statement is also tied to our struggle with HB2. There will be people linking the two together (right or wrong is not in question here) and there will be some sort of push back or repurcussion in one way or another. 

The mayor's personal demographics have nothing to do with her decision to support this bid. I should hope that those are not factors that influence her decision making in regards to what's right or wrong for Charlotte..... and anyone is capable of making bad decisions regardless of race, gender, etc. 

As I was getting off of the train today, I heard someone say "Get this n---er off the train". I don't know who said it or who it was directed towards, but that's not something I want multiplied for a week, and that will happen. Mr. President tends to attract those kinds of people. Those people gathering tend to attract counterprotesters. 

You may not agree with me, but empirical data points to a decent likelihood. 

I'll let others decide if you disparaged the President when you wrote, among other things, "not the right guy" or said that he will attract racists who freely use the n word.  I agree with you, he's awful.  Not sure why you are offended?  You also said the RNC would "definitely, without a shadow of a doubt" bring more riots.  That's either hyperbolic or just silly.  We're on the same side (anti-Trump and convention) but your post was not accurate and you sound unserious.  Not going to argue with you if you can't see that... 

Edited by JBS

12 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I'm referring to the cascading whirlpool (if you'll forgive the contradicting terms) of back-and-forth that never gets anywhere, and always has the unique ability to become crude mud-slinging from any given side in an instant.

Fair enough and on this I agree with you.  

• Like 1

On 4/23/2018 at 10:43 PM, JBS said:

I'll let others decide if you disparaged the President when you wrote, among other things, "not the right guy" or said that he will attract racists who freely use the n word.  I agree with you, he's awful.  Not sure why you are offended?  You also said the RNC would "definitely, without a shadow of a doubt" bring more riots.  That's either hyperbolic or just silly.  We're on the same side (anti-Trump and convention) but your post was not accurate and you sound unserious.  Not going to argue with you if you can't see that... 

I am not offended, but I mean what I say. I don't think anyone likes it when people assume otherwise, especially when one   explicitly states the intention.  Your slights are counterproductive and unnecessary, though. 

"Not the right guy" means that another candidate would presumably make for a more peaceful situation. He is not the right guy for a low drama convention. I'm not talking about who they are as people and I'm not disparaging anyone. This particular administration has a lot of "drama" surrounding it and that's not what we need here. I'm sorry if I was not clear before, but this is all I am saying.

Thinking that a convention involving people who have sparked several protests and marches would draw more of the same (especially in an era where people protest everything from news shows to coffee shops) while said people are all concentrated in one area is neither hyperbolic, silly, or unserious. It is statistical. There is a reasonably high mathematical probability that it will happen. 

1 hour ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

I'm not talking about who they are as people and I'm not disparaging anyone. This particular administration has a lot of "drama" surrounding it and that's not what we need here. I'm sorry if I was not clear before, but this is all I am saying.

I think that the drama and the circus could allow Charlotte to shine in the national spotlight. Charlotte is the stage, the circus is only in town for a week.

One last thought, this could be the cheapest access to nation wide audience that Charlotte will get. As long as there is no real competition Charlotte could have the upper hand here.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I think that the drama and the circus could allow Charlotte to shine in the national spotlight. Charlotte is the stage, the circus is only in town for a week.

One last thought, this could be the cheapest access to nation wide audience that Charlotte will get. As long as there is no real competition Charlotte could have the upper hand here.

I just worry the negatives will come too close to the positives to make it worth it. I'm not talking cataclysmic destruction, just a lot of unavoidable B.S.

10 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

I just worry the negatives will come too close to the positives to make it worth it. I'm not talking cataclysmic destruction, just a lot of unavoidable B.S.

To be fair, I will not be in town when RNC is here, and I was out of town when DNC was here, to avoid the "unavoidable B.S."

• Like 1

I was in Tampa when the RNC was there which was a few weeks after the DNC here. The local Tampa reporters who had covered both events lamented that Charlotte topped Tampa in nearly every way. A part of it was that the Republicans in Tampa insisted on security measures that were prison-like, but even beyond that the Charlotte group did well and recovered from the threat of rain  changing the Panther Stadium event to the Arena. Many residences in near downtown locations such as Dilworth and 4th Ward were available and delightful accommodations for the visitors was one example of Charlotte above Tampa, which had little like that at that time. Downtown Tampa was absolutely nothing like Charlotte after 6 pm (again, at that time). Plus we are in a purple state.

I certainly stayed away from downtown Tampa while it happened but the Tampa paper coverage as it was occurring was that it was disappointing and showed Tampa what it had to improve. I believe that Downtown Tampa has changed for the better since 2012 and the RNC visit was one major reason, as well as the improving economy.

• Like 1

IMO  one of Charlotte’s  biggest image issues is our reputation as a boring place. Big protests (along with CMPD handling them appropriately) would do a great deal to dispel that image. 

CMPD did a very good job at the DNC so I am all for a Charlotte RNC. I’ll be at the front of the baracades. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The Observer makes it sound like NOBODY want to host this thing. The article talks about a couple of other possibilities (Las Vegas and a mysterious Texas location that is neither Dallas or San Antonio) but no officials will provide conformation. Charlotte really sounds like the only horse in the race.

Given the lack of competition, Charlotte had better not offer a dime of support for their bid and save that CRVA money for more lasting investments like soccer [<-- that is a completely non-partisan statement]. They should also be sure to extract substantial federal contributions for law enforcement, that should be relatively easy to do given the context of the event.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article210464159.html

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1