Republican National Convention in Charlotte

HopHead

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

We have had all kinds of national religious groups convene her. We had the NRA national convention. They come here, spend their money and then the return to their home. The do not proselytize us. They return to their home and say kind things of us to their friends and neighbors. They leave their money here. That is a great exchange. Cleveland was happy to have the Republicans in 2016 and was uninjured in reputation. A Democrat run city will remain so. A Republican adventure here may attract Republicans around the state and they may find much to admire from our city and temper their opinions when they return to Raleigh. 

Well said. 

There is much to be gained from hosting and little to loose that insurance cant fix. If the donald should declare Charlotte to be a nice place or a well run city (he did complement North Korea after all) then that might help reduce some of the hate we get from the NCGA — Mark Sanford getting primaried on tuesday certainly ended any republican pushback against their leadership.

If the convention goes badly its hard to see our relationship with Raleigh or Washington getting any worse.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

We have had all kinds of national religious groups convene her. We had the NRA national convention. They come here, spend their money and then the return to their home. The do not proselytize us. They return to their home and say kind things of us to their friends and neighbors. They leave their money here. That is a great exchange. Cleveland was happy to have the Republicans in 2016 and was uninjured in reputation. A Democrat run city will remain so. A Republican adventure here may attract Republicans around the state and they may find much to admire from our city and temper their opinions when they return to Raleigh. 

All 100% true.  I personally just don't want Charlotte to be a historical footnote to the Trump Presidency.  And I'm (predominantly) conservative...

• Like 1

If we have more and more protests, as personally I believe we will, then there's the potential of some really bad press. As we saw recently our city may not be up to that. On the plus side CMPD will get to play with their paramilitary gear and the tower of power! 

• Like 2

On 6/15/2018 at 3:59 AM, TheOneRJ said:

No, Charlotte isn’t too good to host the President, but just because he’s the President doesn’t mean it’s a win for Charlotte or NC. Sure if we were to host it would bring in tourists, millions of dollars, and a spotlight, but it will also fuel the misrepresentation that Charlotte (and NC) is a Republican Mecca - the complete opposite look we need, as HB2 is still costing us corporate expansions. There are plenty of other events to host without the negative effect. 

I agree to a point.  If we can temper it (ever so gingerly) with the fact that we hosted the DNC not so long ago, it "may" be decent bookend for the city.  Overall, I'm still on the fence because there are so may uncertainties in the climate we live in lately.

• 2 weeks later...

I have deep concerns about hosting this convention in 2020. Not because this will be a GOP convention, I don’t have a problem with that, but because of how toxic and hostile the political climate will be months before the election. This has the potential to be worst than the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago, and I don’t want Charlotte to become a setting for a large scale riot that this city has never seen. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Third Strike said:

I have deep concerns about hosting this convention in 2020. Not because this will be a GOP convention, I don’t have a problem with that, but because of how toxic and hostile the political climate will be months before the election. This has the potential to be worst than the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago, and I don’t want Charlotte to become a setting for a large scale riot that this city has never seen. 

Uptown will be barricaded. There won’t be any mass riots that will make us look bad.

there could be but the odds are probably so low. This is the south and trump is still fairly popular. Uptown can become a fortress. The hotel supply is smaller so people coming to protest from other regions would really pay a premium. Etc 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

Second thoughts on hosting grow: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article214376054.html

While I agree with Egleston that the y'all queda in Raleigh will be pissed if we pull the plug on the RNC I don't think that is a good reason to hold our nose and do it anyway if the council is having a crises of conscience. Honestly I think new doubts are justified now that the GOP is putting kids in cages and (possibly) stripping citizenship from people.

image.png.fe6847a67ad9e1ffd35659b7f3f9ae7a.png

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:05 PM, elrodvt said:

If we have more and more protests, as personally I believe we will, then there's the potential of some really bad press. As we saw recently our city may not be up to that. On the plus side CMPD will get to play with their paramilitary gear and the tower of power! 

Calls to mind the violent Republican protests when the DNC camped here. Oh wait, that didn't happen. Maybe the Republicans aren't really the problem ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dale said:

Maybe the Republicans aren't really the problem ?

is this the hill you want to die on? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2018/07/03/a-short-history-of-alex-jones-claiming-that-the-left-is-about-to-start-a-second-civil-war/

Dale, you seem quite prickly following your Canadian vacation. Did you overdose on legal weed and socialized medicine?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, kermit said:

is this the hill you want to die on? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2018/07/03/a-short-history-of-alex-jones-claiming-that-the-left-is-about-to-start-a-second-civil-war/

Dale, you seem quite prickly following your Canadian vacation. Did you overdose on legal weed and socialized medicine?

Of course the Democrats don't want a civil war. They want to cut right to nukes ...

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/394986-steyer-floats-quickly-walks-back-nuclear-war-as-course

I actually liked Vancouver overall. I just came back early because I was coming down with a sore throat and didn't want to wait a week to see a doctor.

Edited by Dale

2 hours ago, Phillydog said:

So, you came back to the US?  Have you tried to get an appointment lately?  You must have a pretty incredible doctor if you can get an appointmemt for a "sore throat" in less than a week in the US.  Your doctor must be Dr. Urgent Care.

I have no comment on the rest of this conversation but if you have a smaller practice family doctor you can absolutely do this. People cancel appointments all the time for you to be able to snag a slot.

I think hosting the RNC would be a net positive for Charlotte and I (full disclosure, an admitted conservative but not a registered republican nor a trump voter) commend Mayor Lyles for extending an olive branch of sorts by supporting the hosting effort in a reasoned manner.   I believe Charlotte will be portrayed positively, as is was during the DNC.  It makes sense to hold national party conventions in Charlotte given that NC is essentially a purple state on the federal level.  Plus, let’s fill all the new hotel rooms and build momentum for our 1000 room convention hotel and it’s impact on our skyline (and impact on our convention business when we ultimately have a more competitive convention center facility).

Assuming Charlotte does host the event, I fully expect there will be protesting as we live in a very decisive political environment flamed by folks on both sides of the spectrum.  I hope the protesting, and counter-protesting, will be civil, which in my view means no hate speech, incitement, or violence. This isn’t 1968, when thousands of body bags were coming home from Vietnam, the economy was weaker, and racial tensions were higher on the immediate heels of the civil rights movement, among other devisive issues from that time in American history. I believe we tend to blow things out of proportion these days and forget how good we currently have it when compared to darker periods in our past.

So, I say let’s show the country that Charlotte is a welcoming place for folks of all views and put on a good show.  I won’t say, even sarcastically, “Charlotte’s got a lot;” that’s just a silly, lackluster marketing slogan.

Also, I’d feel differently about hosting the RNC if I worked uptown.  My colleagues who worked uptown when Charlotte hosted the DNC roundly complained that it was a major inconvenience and I wouldn’t want to deal with that.  My job is stressful enough as is.  So, if we do host the RNC I feel for those of you who will have to deal with triple-level immediate post 9/11 airport security.

• Like 3

The RNC in Charlotte would mean that there would be at least a few “alt-right” people and at least a few rednecks vs. the Occupy/Antifa movement.  No, thanks.

I see that former Massachusetts governor Bill Weld is on track to be the Libertarian nominee in 2020.  I’d be fine having the Libertarian convention.  Nobody would protest although the economic and media impact would be far smaller.  Maybe even somewhere like Greenville could host that one in a hotel ballroom, though.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens
  • Like 2

On 7/7/2018 at 10:11 AM, Cadi40 said:

But in this day in age this event has the possibility to be catastrophic to Charlotte and it’s growth. 

I'm not surprised you said this.  I'm surprised 4 people liked it.  Ridiculous (and I detest Trump and oppose the convention).

13 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

If it has the possibility for riots and large protests do you think that helps Charlotte’s growth??

Riots not so much, but I do think that large scale protests would help make Charlotte look less boring and make it better recognized on the world stage. [not trying to speak for JBS]