Republican National Convention in Charlotte

HopHead

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

What about NYC? Mar-a-largo?  He has a strong New York identity. I don’t even remember the host city of Trump in 2016. I think an Ohio city. 

Its the president of the US and apparently he’s popular enough to win A majority of voters even in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin.  With all that said, if it looks bad for Charlotte, it looks bad for the entire country. 

That’s fair.  Time heals all.  But I think it will be challenging for Charlotte to promote itself as both a “progressive city of the new south” while also hosting Trump’s 2020 party.

None of you are fools.  Politics are as contentious as ever.  It’s “us or them” to the highest order.  We can argue all day about who is at fault for that.  However at surface level, hosting the 2020 RNC just further cements Charlotte as a conservative southern city.  On a national level.

1 hour ago, Popsickle said:

I believe that is referring to the fact that he did not receive over 50% of the total votes in any of those states.  Not that he didn't win the plurality of votes.  With other candidates, he ended up only at 47 or 48% of the vote in those...

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Popsickle said:

Since you cannot be bothered to actually look at the data. 

Screenshot_20180717-180517.png

To be fair, grodney made a claim on 6 states.  5 of the 6 were correct using 1 of the 2 sources you cited to start.   The first link you sourced shows a different set of numbers and supports their claim.  

So that's 6 states over 2 sources for a total of 12 data points.  Of which Grodney was correct on  91% on.  That's the only majority I see here.   I don't think it's fair to claim they didn't bother to look at the data.  

Screenshot 2018-07-17 11.26.34.png

2 hours ago, Popsickle said:

@grodney is correct. By definition a majority is more than half the votes cast, so >50% of cast votes. Of the traditional battlegrounds, he only accomplished that in Iowa and Ohio. He received a plurality in all of the other states mentioned. 

29 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

To be fair, grodney made a claim on 6 states.  5 of the 6 were correct using 1 of the 2 sources you cited to start.   The first link you sourced shows a different set of numbers and supports their claim.  

So that's 6 states over 2 sources for a total of 12 data points.  Of which Grodney was correct on  91% on.  That's the only majority I see here.   I don't think it's fair to claim they didn't bother to look at the data.  

Screenshot 2018-07-17 11.26.34.png

In fact, the NYT numbers were updated as of August 2017.  The Politico numbers were as of December 2016.

https://www.politico.com/2016-election/results/map/president/north-carolina/

So actually, it looks like the response was correct and he didn't get the majority of votes in NC either.  Wikipedia agrees:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_North_Carolina,_2016

1 hour ago, allthingsplanes said:

In fact, the NYT numbers were updated as of August 2017.  The Politico numbers were as of December 2016.

https://www.politico.com/2016-election/results/map/president/north-carolina/

So actually, it looks like the response was correct and he didn't get the majority of votes in NC either.  Wikipedia agrees:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_North_Carolina,_2016

I was simply saying that the data sources being used here in this discussion have a variance and that @Popsickle was a bit out of line complaining about looking at data when the data they sourced actually backed up the comment made by @grodney  and that correct on 5 of his 6 states it appears.  

To set the record straight, the FEC released the Offical General Election Results:  https://transition.fec.gov/pubrec/fe2016/2016presgeresults.pdf

Shows for NC:

• Clinton: 2,189,316 > 46.1%
  • Trump: 2,362,631 > 49.8%
  • Total: 4,741,564

This is the same data that the NYT is using.   Politico and NPR are showing incorrect data.  Most amusing is CNN is using the correct vote count but showing the incorrect %. 

The largest takeaway is we all have too much time on our hands.  

Screenshot 2018-07-17 11.52.10.png

• Like 1

Haha, no question about the too much time.  Yeah popsickle, I bothered to look at the data.....as shown by cjd5050 and others....it's all good....I could have easily chosen an out-dated source.  I was just being pedantic anyway.....now back to your regular programming.

I'm excited for it. I wasn't able to go to the DNC but I would have liked to and want to go to the RNC. It would be cool to brush shoulders with such prominent figures and be around such a different group of people. But then again, sometimes I just really like living for the experiences rather than living for an ideology. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DH17 said:

I'm definitely no fan of Trump but am a fan of the national press and coverage our city will get. 

Short of Chicago '68, this will be good for the city in the long run.

As long as the left wing, black masked/clad cousins of the KKK are not bused into town, we should have no problems with the controlled protests as was the case of the DNC.

Ironically that 2012 free speech zone is now inside of the Whole Foods!  The media who attended the last one will be in disbelief at the new hotels and will the Intercontinental be opened by then?  I know the Bohemian will be and what a great addition. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

I was trying to think of a city large enough to host an event of this size that is a strong or even moderately Republican city/county? Not including the suburb/exurb counties but the city/county that is the host. Anyone have an idea?

Oklahoma City and Salt Lake City are the only ones that come to mind.