Republican National Convention in Charlotte

HopHead

15 minutes ago, kermit said:

So this is where the resistance begins...

Let me know if you want in on my bulk order of F_UCK Trump yard signs.

Careful, those are known to bring our the people who take moral issue with completely the wrong part of that sign.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

Probably easier said than done, but some of these apartment towers should rent out their more expensive vacant units for a quick buck. Novel station penthouse is 15k a month. Could probably easily charge that for the week. May be worth it to furnish and stage vacant apartments for the week and make a few thousand dollars in a couple days. 

59 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Katie Levans from the Agenda already put in a request for this

Hopefully Katie and her minions translate their novel protests into practical voting in November of 2020 against Trump (if he is nominated)....other wise this protesting is nothing but theatrics!

15 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

I was trying to think of a city large enough to host an event of this size that is a strong or even moderately Republican city/county? Not including the suburb/exurb counties but the city/county that is the host. Anyone have an idea?

Salt Lake City was suggested. It has had Democratic mayor for decades and now Democrat council. Omaha also mentioned. It has non-partisan council but party is known and currently is 4-3 Democrat with Republican Mayor.  Fort Worth and OKC qualify.

48 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Salt Lake City was suggested. It has had Democratic mayor for decades and now Democrat council. Omaha also mentioned. It has non-partisan council but party is known and currently is 4-3 Democrat with Republican Mayor.  Fort Worth and OKC qualify.

San Diego has a Republican Mayor, all 5 seats on Board of Supervisors are Republicans, District Attorney is Republican.  City Council is 5-4 Democrats.  A lot of retired military.  It's not super conservative relative to the rest of the country but it's fairly conservative.  Went for Dole, Bush 2X, Obama 2X and Clinton.  They have already hosted a Republican Convention.

• Like 2

Something to consider here.  It's not crazy to think that the RNC might return to Charlotte in the next 20 years as a thank you for 2020.   Especially if the city can pull the event off with class.  

I know that possibility might ruffle some feathers but it's possible and good business.  Charlotte should be bidding for both conventions every 4 years moving forward.  

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:32 AM, Jayvee said:

Just want to put in my two cents. I am not a republican nor a democrat. But I am very anti-trump. He’s a disgrace to this nation beyond measure and has set America back years as far as history will be concerned. 

That said. Hosting the RNC has more pros than cons. We will get a ton of capital improvements done and mostly paid for by the party this city will help vote out of office. In addition to that, Cleveland (a very blue city) only benefited from the clown show that was the 2016 RNC and I think we will do the same. Protests will be very controlled just by the sheer number of enforcement that will be in town. Additionally, long term, no one will remember the 2020 RNC was here but the capital improvements will remain. 

^ Who needs Nostradamus ?

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:08 PM, elrodvt said:

Let's get the London balloon. ;-)

Somehow I suspect Charlotte prevents it flying though.

The London balloon was billed as being so large as to require a permit. The real thing could have been shredded by a couple of ill-tempered cats.

1 hour ago, Crucial_Infra said:

Honestly I don't see why that would ruffle anyone's feathers. Of course Charlotte should be bidding for both conventions on the regular. This year was different for what should be obvious reasons. I support the RNC coming but I completely understand people being wary. I don't expect it to be like that in the future as it's hard to imagine either party ever having a nominee as polarizing as this one again. 

I wish I could agree but, sadly, I think that the vitriol against Trump is not going to go away once Trump exits stage left.    While he makes it very, very easy to hate him a lot of his policies or views are shared by many on the right.   

For example, anyone that suggests the US should enforce our immigration policies, allow for legal immigration and the use of ICE to deport illegal immigrants is going to be called a racist, nazi or whatever term is being used now.  Or anyone that supports police is somehow racist and a nazi for supporting terrorists.    

For what you think to happen actually be possible would require all the voices on the left to be rational, sensible and non-aggressive.  Since that's not a reality....the hate and vitriol that exists is here to stay I fear.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

I wish I could agree but, sadly, I think that the vitriol against Trump is not going to go away once Trump exits stage left.    While he makes it very, very easy to hate him a lot of his policies or views are shared by many on the right.   

For example, anyone that suggests the US should enforce our immigration policies, allow for legal immigration and the use of ICE to deport illegal immigrants is going to be called a racist, nazi or whatever term is being used now.  Or anyone that supports police is somehow racist and a nazi for supporting terrorists.    

For what you think to happen actually be possible would require all the voices on the left to be rational, sensible and non-aggressive.  Since that's not a reality....the hate and vitriol that exists is here to stay I fear.  

^ Let the record reflect that cjd blames the current political divide entirely on the left.

On another note: A massive windfall awaits the first two or three gritty entrepreneurs to open Russian restaurants in town.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2