Republican National Convention in Charlotte

HopHead

Will the city/CMPD eventually make public the plans they devise in the next year or two to keep Charlotte safe from any unruly protests/counter protests during the convention?  Did they do something like that during the run up to hosting the DNC?  Does CMPD and/or neighboring Police Departments even have enough officers to spare in this effort?

13 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Will the city/CMPD eventually make public the plans they devise in the next year or two to keep Charlotte safe from any unruly protests/counter protests during the convention?  Did they do something like that during the run up to hosting the DNC?  Does CMPD and/or neighboring Police Departments even have enough officers to spare in this effort?

If the city couldn’t handle it, we wouldn’t have been chosen for a second time. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 7:05 PM, mpretori said:

Wish they would have attracted a classier organization. Maybe a scientific one or something like that.....

I'm not a big fan of SBC (for no other reason than I don't find his stuff entertaining).  That said, this was just awful and though I feel some sympathy for this dumbass (just because his wife and kids will never view him the same way), he's clearly an awful person and completely unqualified to be in office.  I don't necessarily think he is any more representative of  the Republican party than Hank Johnson (also from Georgia) is representative of Democrats:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tipping-point/

I am not saying the two are equivalent though.  What Jason Spencer said and did is infinitely worse.  Besides, I think both parties are awful and irredeemable.  

^"Besides, I think both parties are awful and irredeemable. 

I would restate that to be the leadership not the party itself or at least not all members of it.

Did you see there is a movement in the House to change rules to result in more bipartisan discussions?

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/398700-problem-solvers-caucus-has-a-vision-a-bipartisan-house

It'll be interesting to see how leadership squashes it like a bug.

Maybe leadership should only be members who can live on Sugar Mountain? (Neil Young reference). ;-0  Although the age limit should always be 1 year older than I am.

Edited by elrodvt

5 hours ago, JBS said:

I'm not a big fan of SBC (for no other reason than I don't find his stuff entertaining).  That said, this was just awful and though I feel some sympathy for this dumbass (just because his wife and kids will never view him the same way), he's clearly an awful person and completely unqualified to be in office.  I don't necessarily think he is any more representative of  the Republican party than Hank Johnson (also from Georgia) is representative of Democrats:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tipping-point/

I am not saying the two are equivalent though.  What Jason Spencer said and did is infinitely worse.  Besides, I think both parties are awful and irredeemable.  

I think the GOP is at fault for this, they set their standards so low to include this guy in their party.  The party needs to up their standards. His  party picked him to represent them through his qualifications.  Minimizing the actions of Jason Spencer in relation the party he serves under is absurd. Each person and party he/she serves under should be weighted equally.  

8 hours ago, JBS said:

Hillary Clinton was the Democrat nominee in the last Presidential election.  Donald Trump represented the Republicans.  I'd say both parties need to do a better job of picking candidates (though the establishment rigged the primary for Clinton and would have liked to rig it against Trump).  Not sure why I'm responding to a guy who accused me of being a Trump supporter though...

I'm waiting on a video of Hillary acting the fool like Jason. And don't slander me and put words in my mouth. The party that wanted Jason to represent them needs to step up and up their standards. Why always retract to Hillary. Who said "N##er, put camera's up peoples robes, slandered Asians, and yelled homophobic slurs all in one disgusting video?  Jason Spenser under the GOP. 

9 hours ago, JBS said:

Hillary Clinton was the Democrat nominee in the last Presidential election.  Donald Trump represented the Republicans.  I'd say both parties need to do a better job of picking candidates (though the establishment rigged the primary for Clinton and would have liked to rig it against Trump).  Not sure why I'm responding to a guy who accused me of being a Trump supporter though...

Amen to your statement JBS!!! This country has over 300 million people and Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton is all we could muster???? I voted at the age of 19 back in 1984 for Reagan and I have alternated with both Republican and Democratic candidates for the Oval Office.  But the 2016 election was the first I had ever presented a write in on my ballot which was for George Washington!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mpretori said:

I'm waiting on a video of Hillary acting the fool like Jason. And don't slander me and put words in my mouth. The party that wanted Jason to represent them needs to step up and up their standards. Why always retract to Hillary. Who said "N##er, put camera's up peoples robes, slandered Asians, and yelled homophobic slurs all in one disgusting video?  Jason Spenser under the GOP. 

I'm pretty sure I already said this guy is awful (and a dumbass, and completely unqualified) and was careful not to make a false equivalence to others (see above).  In NO WAY did I defend this moron, he stands for everything I oppose.  I'm also not a Republican.  I simply don't think you can completely blame the party for a guy like this getting elected (they did immediately condemn him and pushed for him to resign and he had already lost in the Republican primary, so there is that).  If you do blame the party, what do you think of these folks:

Patrick Cannon, Bob Walton and Jim Black, locally

Rod Blagojevich, Robert Menendez, Ed Murray, Jesse Jackson and Jr....

This is a very small list of many Democrats who were crooks and/or perverts off the top of my head.  Guess what?  I could compile a similar list for Republicans (and priests, preachers, teachers, executives, actors, athletes, etc.).  My only point was that Republicans haven't cornered the market on bad people.  A little intellectual honesty would go a long way.  For the sake of everyone else, let's move on.

Edited by JBS

3 hours ago, JBS said:

I'm pretty sure I already said this guy is awful (and a dumbass, and completely unqualified) and was careful not to make a false equivalence to others (see above).  In NO WAY did I defend this moron, he stands for everything I oppose.  I'm also not a Republican.  I simply don't think you can completely blame the party for a guy like this getting elected (they did immediately condemn him and pushed for him to resign and he had already lost in the Republican primary, so there is that).  If you do blame the party, what do you think of these folks:

Patrick Cannon, Bob Walton and Jim Black, locally

Rod Blagojevich, Robert Menendez, Ed Murray, Jesse Jackson and Jr....

This is a very small list of many Democrats who were crooks and/or perverts off the top of my head.  Guess what?  I could compile a similar list for Republicans (and priests, preachers, teachers, executives, actors, athletes, etc.).  My only point was that Republicans haven't cornered the market on bad people.  A little intellectual honesty would go a long way.  For the sake of everyone else, let's move on.

Your deflecting and trying to lessen the severity of the video by trying to say the man has done something wrong, but look at these folks. Unfathomable. Still waiting on that video of those people you list do the same stuff Jason did seeing as you didn't find a similar Hillary video. But keep deflecting....

1 hour ago, mpretori said:

Your deflecting and trying to lessen the severity of the video by trying to say the man has done something wrong, but look at these folks. Unfathomable. Still waiting on that video of those people you list do the same stuff Jason did seeing as you didn't find a similar Hillary video. But keep deflecting....

It's "you're".  Ed Murray was accused of molesting at least five minors.  You are seriously a moron.

17 hours ago, mpretori said:

So we're comparing a State legislature to Clinton?  Comical.    Team Clinton is home to Huma and Anthony 'I want to send my d*ck picks to underage girls' Weiner and Harvey 'suck my d*ck for a part' Weinstein. That's not only the party of Clinton but her freaking inner circle.  This is the same woman who let her husband ram a cigar up an intern...and stayed with him...because that's where the power was.  The very same people who are getting into a lather about Trump saying 'grab her by the p*ssy' are the very same disingenuous and hypocritical slim that standby liberals who do the same or worse.  

Then...oh this is the best part...then when she runs for President she runs on a 'woman's power' pitch and freaking morons (many here) buy into 'I'm with her' all of the way and look the other way at all of her transgressions.   That's your party.  That's your problem.

• Like 2

I used to read this thread often to see if Charlotte would get the convention. 

It’s super exciting to host the convention. Hopefully when it gets closer we can talk about the actual convention and Charlotte and fun urban and logistical stuff, and Charlotte in the news, etc 

• Like 3

I am curious though how decisions are made who can make speeches and where?  If you want to see some action let this idiot speak as he did in CLE: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/this-will-never-be-normal/2018/07/30/9060c0c0-9437-11e8-810c-5fa705927d54_story.html?utm_term=.c07fa918fefe

OTH I am for letting anyone have a chance to hold a rally and speak their mind as long as it is not overtly racist or discriminatory. No klan or anti gay stuff. Tough to arbitrate as FB is finding out.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I am curious though how decisions are made who can make speeches and where?  If you want to see some action let this idiot speak as he did in CLE:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/this-will-never-be-normal/2018/07/30/9060c0c0-9437-11e8-810c-5fa705927d54_story.html?utm_term=.c07fa918fefe

OTH I am for letting anyone have a chance to hold a rally and speak their mind as long as it is not overtly racist or discriminatory. No klan or anti gay stuff. Tough to arbitrate as FB is finding out.

Although I do agree that Nazi or similar rallies really shouldn't happen, who decides where to draw the line. Isn't free speech for everyone? If they are calling for violence then it's forbidden. But can we really say that white supremacists or any similarly crazy groups aren't allowed to hold rallies? It's a difficult issue because one of the great things of our country is the pure free speech we have as citizens. Something that is enshrined in our culture and Constitution. 

This is a very difficult area to try to distinguish what should and shouldn't be allowed. Should true anarchists be allowed to protest? What about those in favor of instituting religious law? As much as I hate it, if Nazis want to march or assemble peacefully, should they be protected under the same freedom of speech as other causes even though it's nothing but a cancer to our society?

• Like 2

I mean. It’s not so enshrined. IE, it hasn’t been that long since black people were being sprayed with water hoses for trying to drink from white water fountains.

its a no brainer to not allow white supremacist to rally 

• Like 1