Southtown - South Division - Burton Heights projects

organsnyder

54 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Also, weren't people here complaining that the Silver Line was a complete mess (in part) because nobody ever set a plan for development? Seems like this is trying to address multiple issues around growth and revitalization.

Joe

The Silverline was supposed to have spurred that on its own from what I remember. :P

These places dont need top-down plans. Sure, they need the city to keep the public infrastructure in good shape, enforce aesthetic standards and codes for the exterior of existing buildings, insist on standards for new ones that will not allow cheap Dollar General places to develop, start issuing demolition permits more generously to clear old derelict homes, and remove odious red tape that makes higher-density mix-use or mixed-income developments hard to produce, including knowing when to tell NAs and NIMBYs when their helpful input is turning into unreasonable stonewalling. Offer some tax credits if you must if a developer is willing to really go the extra mile to put something substantial over there.

Get that squared-away, and developers will do what they do best.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

The Silverline was supposed to have spurred that on its own from what I remember. :P

These places dont need top-down plans. Sure, they need the city to keep the public infrastructure in good shape, enforce aesthetic standards and codes for the exterior of existing buildings, insist on standards for new ones that will not allow cheap Dollar General places to develop, start issuing demolition permits more generously to clear old derelict homes, and remove odious red tape that makes higher-density mix-use or mixed-income developments hard to produce, including knowing when to tell NAs and NIMBYs when their helpful input is turning into unreasonable stonewalling. Offer some tax credits if you must if a developer is willing to really go the extra mile to put something substantial over there.

Get that squared-away, and developers will do what they do best.

Um, a lot of what you listed is exactly why they make plans... There isn't one person who gets to decide what's "in good shape," what counts as "cheap" or "derelict," or whether NA concerns should be deemed reasonable or "stonewalling."

I'm not, like, a huge fanboy of they city's planning process or anything, but I get the utility of these exercises.  And plans can be a problem when they are used as a weapon to stop development (like the old SWAN used to do).  They're not meant to be binding, but should be used as a guide for the neighborhood stakeholders, who are going to be involved for better or for worse, to state their vision and compromise where they can.  And yeah, of course some people are just going to oppose everything anyway.  All that being said, this Southtown effort, honestly, doesn't seem to be really much of a plan so far - it's just an effort to coordinate between the different associations that are on South Division and identify focuses of effort.

If the "Development without Displacement" headline is what set you off, I get it.  But I also think they have to say that because anytime the city talks about developing a low-income neighborhood that's the first thing people ask about.  I don't think there's enough here to worry about displacement in the first place, but people are still gonna ask.

Edited by RegalTDP

21 minutes ago, RegalTDP said:

I don't think there's enough here to worry about displacement in the first place, but people are still gonna ask.

As a neighborhood resident, I find this both offensive and inaccurate.

Edit: I jumped the gun in my reaction.

Edited by organsnyder

2 hours ago, organsnyder said:

As a neighborhood resident, I find this both offensive and inaccurate.

What I meant was that the "vision" articulated is just an effort at coordination between associations - it's not a concrete plan and from the way I read the article I felt concerns about displacement were premature.  At least as of yet.

It wasn't a comment on the neighborhood itself.  Sorry that wasn't clear.

Edited by RegalTDP
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the clarification. I guess I'm sensitive enough to perceptions of the area that I quickly interpret "[not] enough here" as "nothing of value in the neighborhood".

On that point: there are definitely amenities I would appreciate having nearby (coffee shop, LMCU branch...). And there are some empty storefronts. But there are already many thriving businesses in this corridor—ones that are too often overlooked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, organsnyder said:

Thank you for the clarification. I guess I'm sensitive enough to perceptions of the area that I quickly interpret "[not] enough here" as "nothing of value in the neighborhood".

On that point: there are definitely amenities I would appreciate having nearby (coffee shop, LMCU branch...). And there are some empty storefronts. But there are already many thriving businesses in this corridor—ones that are too often overlooked.

I'm glad you gave me a chance to clarify :thumbsup: I realized when I saw your reply how inarticulate my statement was and was like "Oh crap! Not what I intended"

• 4 months later...

If this work outs maybe people will have a little more faith and reason to take the silver line.  Bringing business and people to the neighborhood that seems to be doing much better as of late. Also excited about Arvon Brewing  opening soon.   Like the idea of community events weddings and quinceaneras.  

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 7/15/2020 at 12:25 PM, GR_Urbanist said:

Bit of a suprise development at the Salvation Army store+ rehabilitation building just south of Hall!

20200715_112105.thumb.jpg.90607a14ff7eb417c2c683a448991da1.jpg

20200715_112110.thumb.jpg.a6403dadcdabc055e72ca08cead4d881.jpg

Will it remain a Salvation Army or different use?

21 hours ago, walker said:

Just an historical footnote in case you didn't already know it - the building is the original Steelcase factory.  They donated it to the Salvation Army in 1960:

Steelcase donation

1074217811_SteelcaseDivision.png.9ec180f45149d14879749a4dff888c8e.png

Never knew that! Was this the first Steelcase plant? I worked in the office building on Hall/Century and that was considered plant #2. Looks like they’re going for the original look. 

Joe

55 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Never knew that! Was this the first Steelcase plant? I worked in the office building on Hall/Century and that was considered plant #2. Looks like they’re going for the original look. 

Joe

Yes.  From an Mlive article celebrating their hundredth year:

They built their first factory at 1491 S. Division Ave. and began making fireproof metal and four-drawer filing cabinets for the Macey Co.

MLIVE: 03-2012 - 10 notable moments in Steelcase history

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks for posting the pic. I kept meaning to stop and take some, but I don't walk that way anymore since I work from home. West Garfield is a really cool piece of infill: it occupies space formerly taken by part of a crumbling church parking lot. The church building is still there (I think it's casting the shadow in the lower-right), and they share the remaining parking lot plus plenty of on-street parking on Jefferson.

I've been wondering if there is an "East Garfield" in the works. There's another unused parking lot on Burton next to Korean Grace CRC (former Burton Heights CRC) that could be similarly developed, I think.

18 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

I'm gonna plug a business on South Division just South of Wealthy. I don't know if anyone else is in the aquarium keeping hobby, but if you are, go to WaterColors. They opened a space after moving from Jefferson. Highly recommend it.

My fiancée's mom and aunt both supply them with guppies. Next time you are in there if they have any monarch guppies, those came from her mom. They are a coloring that the owner's of the store had never seen, so she got to name them. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

My fiancée's mom and aunt both supply them with guppies. Next time you are in there if they have any monarch guppies, those came from her mom. They are a coloring that the owner's of the store had never seen, so she got to name them. 

I need to get some elders live bearer's soon. They have those?

• 2 months later...

This would be a pretty significant development, if / once all phases are complete. I'm not 100% sure, but per the rendering below, it kind of looks like the existing masonry building on the NE corner of the lot would be saved and repurposed -

Brownfield incentives approved for first phase of industrial redevelopment in GR
Kate Carlson | MiBiz
January 13, 2021

GRAND RAPIDS — Amplify GR and Rockford Construction Co. were awarded about $2.2 million in tax incentives Tuesday to redevelop an industrial site on the city’s south side for a data management company. The 10-acre property, at 1601 Madison Ave. SE, is set to be repurposed by demolishing an industrial building and replacing it with a 60,000-square-foot office and industrial facility as well as a surface parking lot...

2021_01_13_Grand%20Rapids_1601%20Madison
Source: MiBiz | Courtesy Rendering

Edited by deja vu