IN PROGRESS: Miriam Hospital Expansion

Miriam Hospital starts work on new wing

The project will be built in three phases, with completion of the last part expected in 2012.

BY KAREN A. DAVIS Journal Staff Writer | May 24, 2005

PROVIDENCE -- Demolition began yesterday at Miriam Hospital to make way for a $116-million project that will add a wing with private rooms, an imaging center and 10 operating rooms.

Hospital officials will hold a groundbreaking at 10 a.m. tomorrow outside the main entrance, at 164 Summit Ave.

Contractors yesterday worked to raze the Sol Koffler building, next to the entrance.

The Koffler building had been used for research, said Nicole Gustin, a spokeswoman for the hospital.

The plan calls for demolition of an old intensive care unit no longer in use, behind the Koffler building.

The first phase of the project will be a three-story wing that will house a the imaging center, a cafeteria, a surgical suite with 10 operating rooms and 36 private rooms.

The operating rooms will be 600 square feet each, almost twice as large as the current operating rooms. The number of beds will bring the hospital to its licensed capacity of 247 beds.

The wing is expected to open in the fall of 2007.

The second and third phases will include the renovation of the emergency room and the addition of more private rooms.

The latter phases are not expected to be completed until 2012.

Continue reading at: ProJo.com

Miriam Hospital

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone seen an architectural render of the expansion? The current Miriam buildings are so devoid of any architecture at all (something that you'd think isn't possible, but is in this case) that almost anything there would be an improvement.

- Garris

• 1 year later...

I swung by Summit to look at the Miriam Hospital expansion and this large building looks like it's going very well. It looks quite clean, modern, and classy and will likely be the most attractive contemporary hospital building in the city when it's done (not in and of itself high praise, I know). The quality of the materials being used look outstanding and the whole piece has an expensive feel about it so far.

As much as I respect the Summit neighborhood group, I feel they hyperventilated about this a bit. This building in progress doesn't change the feel of the neighborhood at all and once done, I'm sure it'll just fade into the background like the rest of the Miriam Complex. The feel of the building is actually extremely urban, hugging the sidewalk the way it does around the perimeter. The view from 7th St is very urban, and not suburban the way the rest of the Complex was designed to feel. In my opinion, it enhances the urban feel of Summit and is a great addition to the area.

- Garris

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i took some photos way back when they broke ground, and I need to go back there and take more now that they are nearly done... You can see the building in the distance when you come off of exit 24 and ride up past the bus station to N Main Street. It looks like part of it is clad in plywood, like the Item building in the Jewelry district.

I've been so bad at updating AIR, but I'm getting back to it. Many new photos and projects will be put up in the coming weeks.

I think that the new Miriam building is only part of a larger expansion and rebuilding campaign.

They have renderings posted on Summit Ave. that show an entire second wing in the same style of the one being completed and to the south of the new structure. This second addition is depicted as being on the site of the older beige brick building, which will presumably be torn down at some point.

Does anyone know what the time frame for this next phase is?

Edit: I can't find any info on this. Maybe I'm just misreading the renderings but it does look like another wing is envisioned. Anyone know?

• 2 months later...

Archived