300 North College - Residential tower at 6th and College in First Ward

birky

An Atlanta-based real estate firm is exploring the development of a 30- to 35-story high-rise apartment tower at the corner of North College and East Sixth streets in uptown Charlotte.  Tivoli Properties Inc. is planning a project with up to 330 apartment units and ground-floor retail along College and Sixth streets, according to real estate records. The one-acre property at 300 N. College is currently home to Cosmos Cafe and other tenants. Its owner, a limited liability company called Ceres Properties,  began marketing the site for sale as a redevelopment project in late 2012.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/01/atlanta-firm-planning-high-rise-apartment-tower-in.html

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all exciting, but I'm started to feel really jaded about all these announcements of late with little actual build (towers) going on.   Yes - I know, I know, patience and/or *insert rational reason here*, but damn I want to see the cranes in Uptown skyline already.

I am actually a little concerned now. I like projects like this, Skyhouse, Crescent, etc but get the feeling the market is becoming a bubble. The smaller projects are seemingly less risky, but the market is saturated with those projects. My fear is that the three projects mentioned may become the tipping point and plunge the market into an over saturated state, with these signature projects being canceled outright, or worse, become lurking hulks of steel and concrete like The Park. I just wonder why some of these aren't combo hotel/residential projects to mitigate the risk of dumping too much inventory on the market. I think a combo Mandarin Oriental and luxury residence tower for this site would be awesome. (Also Skyhouse-Twelve Hotel combo, W hotel and residence at 210 Trade)

I am actually a little concerned now. I like projects like this, Skyhouse, Crescent, etc but get the feeling the market is becoming a bubble. The smaller projects are seemingly less risky, but the market is saturated with those projects. My fear is that the three projects mentioned may become the tipping point and plunge the market into an over saturated state, with these signature projects being canceled outright, or worse, become lurking hulks of steel and concrete like The Park. I just wonder why some of these aren't combo hotel/residential projects to mitigate the risk of dumping too much inventory on the market. I think a combo Mandarin Oriental and luxury residence tower for this site would be awesome. (Also Skyhouse-Twelve Hotel combo, W hotel and residence at 210 Trade)

I wouldn't worry until at least one of them is actually under construction.

It's all exciting, but I'm started to feel really jaded about all these announcements of late with little actual build (towers) going on. Yes - I know, I know, patience and/or *insert rational reason here*, but damn I want to see the cranes in Uptown skyline already.

Same here; believe it when I see it

Yep... 30 floors = 360 ft, 35 floors = 420 ft.

Man that would be a sweet addition to the building density, especially in that area, LET THIS HAPPEN. Only fear I have, and I am not alone, is the over saturation of the apartment market. As it stands now, with the exception of the vue it's nearly impossible to get an apartment uptown, especially one for a manageable price. With the addition of Element and others, I think we are set on the 'luxury' apartments and would like to see more affordable options. Although, with the location of this building, I doubt it would be very affordable.

I wonder why the economics work out that it is easier to buy a block of interesting and occupied buildings to tear down to redevelop rather than a semi-vacant asphalt lot for cars a block away.  Is Levine that impossible to work with?

It will be a huge loss of antique low rise buildings, even if the apartments and the required street retail would probably be a net benefit, it is a shame they can't leave well enough alone and build on an adjacent block of soul sucking asphalt lots. 

I wonder why the economics work out that it is easier to buy a block of interesting and occupied buildings to tear down to redevelop rather than a semi-vacant asphalt lot for cars a block away.  Is Levine that impossible to work with?

It will be a huge loss of antique low rise buildings, even if the apartments and the required street retail would probably be a net benefit, it is a shame they can't leave well enough alone and build on an adjacent block of soul sucking asphalt lots. 

What if the owner of those buildings wants to sell?  a couple of blocks can make a big difference, just ask the people in Courtside.

It may be a crappy rendering but that would be a very awesome addition. Love the look at the ground level.

In this spot I don't particularly like the pseudo plaza effect that happens at street level with the angle there and the big rounded corner piece. I'm against the placement of this building but if it goes there I'd rather have regular storefronts square to the street, and as many as possible. I also am afraid that they'll go with the big glass sheet aesthetic even at street level, that makes the retail at the bottom of Founders Hall/Ritz/1BOA a little less than inviting. 

Archived