300 North College - Residential tower at 6th and College in First Ward

birky

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could be wrong, but I think I remember this rendering just being a place-holder for marketing the lot rather than a rendering of the actual tower.

Yep, thats all it is. But it gives us an idea of scale and usage. 

Highest and best use isn't a parking lot or a single-floor structure.  The structure is being sold for land cost, not the building that sits on top.  When you buy something such as this, the building is actually cheaper than you think because you have to get permits to tear down, plus the cost of tearing down the structure.  Some landowners simply won't sell, even if you're willing to move quickly.

All of that said, don't expect this project to get out of the ground or get financing anytime soon.

• 6 months later...

^^Don't be surprised if we hear something within the next few months; I was talking to an acquaintance in the demolition industry who told me their company is being considered to receive the contract for tearing down the existing site...

^^Don't be surprised if we hear something within the next few months; I was talking to an acquaintance in the demolition industry who told me their company is being considered to receive the contract for tearing down the existing site...

I'd be extremely upset if it were bulldozed and stayed that way for any period of time

I'd be extremely upset if it were bulldozed and stayed that way for any period of time

I mean he did tell me they were planning on building this skyscraper afterwards but I don't read much into that as he is not part of the development process; just the demolition process... 

I mean he did tell me they were planning on building this skyscraper afterwards but I don't read much into that as he is not part of the development process; just the demolition process...

There are instances where sites are bulldozed with full intention of an imminent project being built that has stalled. I just don't want that to happen here. With Greystar, Novare's 2 Skyhouses, Mint, Stonewall Fountains, Woodfield Graham all planned for uptown... I'd hate for it to be bulldozed then have the project stall and be left with nothing.

Welcome to Charlotte...  This is how our surface parking lots were formed. 

There are instances where sites are bulldozed with full intention of an imminent project being built that has stalled. I just don't want that to happen here. With Greystar, Novare's 2 Skyhouses, Mint, Stonewall Fountains, Woodfield Graham all planned for uptown... I'd hate for it to be bulldozed then have the project stall and be left with nothing.

We can always build another "pocket park"  :dontknow:

• 6 months later...

There is a photo album called "300 North College" on ClearSkyImages

p442190139-3.jpg

Hmmmmm very interesting. Wonder what that means. As long as it's replaced by some meaningful retail I would not mind losing those 3 sketchy clubs.

I'm not about to launch a "save the sketchy clubs" campaign, but I do mind losing them. I've said it over and over but I could be psyched for this building if it were built on any of the dozens of still vacant lots or replacing something less vibrant (yes a seedy type of vibrancy, but I think it contributes some character to uptown nonetheless). 

Also I selfishly hope this isn't too imminent actually because I'm getting married in the Levine Museum later this year and would prefer the venue not be completely surrounded by construction zones (with 1st ward park probably in full swing at the time) :/

In my early college years, I would often visit this strip on college nights since I was under 21 ( and everyone that age knows someone who can get them in anyway). Of course now I despise these bars and even split off to another location when some of my younger friends want to go, but I must admit, this strip certainly has a niche and does a good job filling that "need" in Uptown. It's definitely anti-office park.

If there is demand for these types of establishments in the city, they will be reproduced at a different location.  While I, like others, would prefer this be developed on an empty lot, 300 N College is PRIME real estate in Uptown.  It was only a matter of time with these places.  I'll just hope for a quality product in it's place and then the likes of BAR and Republic can find new locations slightly farther away but still inside Uptown.  There are plenty of empty lots and buildings they could develop.

In my early college years, I would often visit this strip on college nights since I was under 21 ( and everyone that age knows someone who can get them in anyway). Of course now I despise these bars and even split off to another location when some of my younger friends want to go, but I must admit, this strip certainly has a niche and does a good job filling that "need" in Uptown. It's definitely anti-office park.

Everyone will miss Forum.....Wait...

Hmmmmm very interesting. Wonder what that means. As long as it's replaced by some meaningful retail I would not mind losing those 3 sketchy clubs.

Wanting to tear down pre-WWII buildings because a club is not currently cool is sort of exactly why we don't have much left here, and why we will end up with yet another sterilized development that will turn this corner from a place that actually brought people uptown for nightlife long before it was popular.  There are so many lots that are developable before this site, but obviously the owners of the land now want to sell out for big money, so they are request images as part of marketing the land to someone who will do something with it.

I'm hoping it fizzles out and we just get projects elsewhere for a while.  

Archived