300 North College - Residential tower at 6th and College in First Ward

birky

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Niner National said:

so are we safe to assume that it may not be torn down afterall?

I'd love to see this area become some kind of retail though and not just more bars / restaurants.

From the article in the observer, it sounds like they plan to renovate in place. 

Real estate records show the partners paid $9.35 million for the property. The building’s new owners said BAR Charlotte, another business at the location, will stay open at the site. The owners have signed leases with two new tenants that plan to renovate the rest of the space and open soon, hopefully in the first quarter this year.

The property totals 33,000 square feet, and its new name will help highlight its connection to the north side of uptown, the new owners said. With the light rail extension underway and construction starting to move up from uptown’s booming south side, the North End is gaining interest and attracting more buzz.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article56475523.html#storylink=cpy

I agree that day use is preferred to evening only use and day/night is best.

5 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I'm just glad it will probably be a business that's open during the day. Night clubs are cool, but they kill the vibe in the day time*

*See: The ground floor of one of my favorite blocks in Uptown

Some years ago I thought to go to the main library and parked on College in front of Bar. I checked the parking sign along the curb and it said No parking 7-4. It was 8 pm or so at the time. I returned to find a parking ticket. I checked the sign a bit closer and in much smaller letters I could see it said No parking 7 pm-4am.  No night parking, day only. Reverse of my experience and expectations. The ticket stuck

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

I agree that day use is preferred to evening only use and day/night is best.

Some years ago I thought to go to the main library and parked on College in front of Bar. I checked the parking sign along the curb and it said No parking 7-4. It was 8 pm or so at the time. I returned to find a parking ticket. I checked the sign a bit closer and in much smaller letters I could see it said No parking 7 pm-4am.  No night parking, day only. Reverse of my experience and expectations. The ticket stuck

That happened to me in Dallas with a parking sign that said 7-7. I assumed it meant no parking during the day. I WAS DISPLEASED.

1 hour ago, DMann said:

Does anyone else think that $9 million is a lot to pay so you can rent space for a few restaurants (after you spend money to upfit it)?

Yup. It tells the true purpose of this purchase. Sit on the land until the next major upswing, and develop a residential building. 

15 minutes ago, HopHead said:

So is the residential tower here now off the table? I wouldn't be upset if it was..

It'll be built eventually. At least you have owners that understand retail. Don't be surprised if you see a residential building that leases it's spaces from 7th street station and builds on the air rights of the existing structure.

5 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

So it's fairly likely the 9 million dollar renovation is getting the structure prepared to be built on. And having it all done by March is pretty fast. Wonder when we'll see who the tenants are. 

its just a 9 million dollar land purchase. I suspect they won't put more then 50k into the reno.

3 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I think it's highly unlikely that they would build a tower on this thing later. The foundations would have to be completely redone to support anything short of a couple of extra stories.

I guess I should rephrase. Keeping the facade and building up. The point is, I suspect they will lease spaces from 7th street station and build a residential tower with no parking deck.

21 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I'm just glad it will probably be a business that's open during the day. Night clubs are cool, but they kill the vibe in the day time*

*See: The ground floor of one of my favorite blocks in Uptown

I hope they have some plans for Brevard. It looks a bit  deserted with the parking lots and . The open space across the street is not attractive, but I am sure something is planned there, Do you know of any plans for the area in the Brevard photo. It seems pretty isolated. Lots of potential there. That area could be the next cool district?

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, mpretori said:

ahh, alright. Anything but a podium apartment. 

You have to consider the price of the land. The only way this could feasibly be Podium apartments would be if they were 5-6000 a month in rent. You have to take into account return on investment. for a 10 million dollar site, you'd need to fit 3-400 apartments on it to make it financially viable. The site is pretty small, an acre or so, so you have to build up. This would need to be eventually be a 25-30 floor tower. 

7 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You have to consider the price of the land. The only way this could feasibly be Podium apartments would be if they were 5-6000 a month in rent. You have to take into account return on investment. for a 10 million dollar site, you'd need to fit 3-400 apartments on it to make it financially viable. The site is pretty small, an acre or so, so you have to build up. This would need to be eventually be a 25-30 floor tower. 

I can't wait to see the renderings. Hopefully it's not like that rendering in that twitter pic. I don't know how that would be profitable. 

Archived