121 Rhett Street

gman430

• 1 month later...

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm impressed. I'm glad to see condos coming back. Now let's make some affordable!

"Affordable" is subjective. I do not want Downtown Greenville to become a violent crime-infested ghetto. It is difficult to encourage higher standards (a key to a healthy and wealthy economy) when more low income people "own" their place of residence. Downtown is a place for almost everyone to enjoy, even though most people cannot afford to own property there. That is perfectly fine in my opinion.

"Affordable" is subjective. I do not want Downtown Greenville to become a violent crime-infested ghetto. It is difficult to encourage higher standards (a key to a healthy and wealthy economy) when more low income people "own" their place of residence. Downtown is a place for almost everyone to enjoy, even though most people cannot afford to own property there. That is perfectly fine in my opinion.

The mixing of income classes leads to less crime. The segregation of the income classes leads to more crime.

• Like 1

I inclined to agree with you in reguards to affordability. I think downtown for the most part won't be a place where low income individuals will be able to afford. Thats true in every resurging downtown in america. But we do have to keep affordable housing around the edges of the downtown area for the conviniences of everyone who can't afford that downtown life. And for the most part, the city of Greenville has done that. But it's getting ever more difficult as development inches away from downtown. It's becoming noticable every year. 

I'm really talking about young professional "affordable". But I agree on the mix of income comment.

And that is the reason for the keeping things affordable around the edges. Not particularly in downtown proper.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just received the documents. Construction bids go out May 11th. Yeargin Potter Shackelford is the general contractor. They're also the ones building Main at Stone and Link West End apartments downtown.

Edited by gman430