Proposal: Downtown Convention Center

vicupstate

On 1/24/2018 at 11:59 PM, Jet-set said:

It's amazing seeing how some of these office spaces are decorated.  I share office space with seven other people, in  a windowless room with concrete walls.

6 hours ago, Galley said:

It's amazing seeing how some of these office spaces are decorated.  I share office space with seven other people, in  a windowless room with concrete walls.

I know how you feel. I work in a manufacturing plant. What are windows? Lol. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

The more I think on it, the more I feel this proposed CC should go in the conceptual “Innovation District.” For those not aware of the “Innovation District”, it’s a recommended district by consultants to lure in technology/startup companies education facilities among other things. A CC would, theoretically, be the first major city investment in that conceptual district. As I posted on Friday, Prisma, formerly GHS, proposed a “Destination/Innovation Zone” near their Memorial Campus to have hotels, affordable housing and startups, how about that proposed district consolidate with the downtown “Innovation District.” Would be an absolute killer start to developing said district.

The conceptual renderings of the “Innovation District”

11DAEC97-F39D-42CD-8468-A6D074317338.png

Just now, gman430 said:

Downtown is on fire right now. Crazy with all of the projects in the works and under construction right now. 

Tell me about it! One of my biggest fears at this point of time is a repeat of 07/08 where there were plenty of proposals, but the economy popped otherwise we’re in for some exciting developments over the next few years. Three years until the THIRD LARGEST religious museum in the world + a new convention center may be open? This is amazing!

7 minutes ago, GVLover said:

Tell me about it! One of my biggest fears at this point of time is a repeat of 07/08 where there were plenty of proposals, but the economy popped otherwise we’re in for some exciting developments over the next few years. Three years until the THIRD LARGEST religious museum in the world + a new convention center may be open? This is amazing!

Think of the tourism this could bring in. We all know how popular the Vatican and Louvre are. Holy moly. I can’t even think straight right now. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

Just now, gman430 said:

Think of the tourism this could bring in. We all know how popular the Vatican and Louvre are. I can’t even think straight right now. 

I can’t even imagine the impact of such a project. Can’t wait to see renderings. Hopefully a donation site goes up as well; I’d be more than interested to contribute a few dollars a month. 

8 hours ago, GVLover said:

I can’t even imagine the impact of such a project. Can’t wait to see renderings. Hopefully a donation site goes up as well; I’d be more than interested to contribute a few dollars a month. 

Wonder if Hughes will build his proposed state’s tallest building now seeing how it’s right across the street? 

Edited by gman430

9 hours ago, GVLover said:

I dislike the fact that they mention a skybridge for the Embassy Suites, UNLESS the Embassy Suites expands to what we have been calling the 'future office building'. Bridging to that building pad would be fine, but definitely NOT across River Street. That would be antithetical to everything that Greenville is about. 

Otherwise, this sounds like a great development for the future of Greenville. The museum component sounds quite impressive! 

10 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Bridging from the project site to either the Embassy Suites or the office building pad would require it cross River Street.

No-- to the office building, it would only cross the drop off drive behind Embassy Suites (in the direction of the Innovate building). 

3 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

No-- to the office building, it would only cross the drop off drive behind Embassy Suites (in the direction of the Innovate building). 

I don't think that would be considered part of this project.  I take it the skywalk would connect the Embassy Suites to another hotel or to a garage on the project site. 

1 minute ago, vicupstate said:

I don't think that would be considered part of this project.  I take it the skywalf would connect the Embassy Suites to another hotel or to a garage on the project site. 

I'm just saying what I deem an acceptable use of a skybridge.  Internal to Riverplace is NBD. Jumping across River Street would be really inappropriate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gman430 said:

Skybridges hurt and hinder pedestrian activity on the ground level.

I see. But I don't get the impression that anything will ever be oriented toward that portion of River St, and if there is a meeting facility included, attendees at Embassy Suites would like not to have the prospect of walking through the rain/sleet/snow to get to their meetings. Maybe instead of a skybridge, some sort of awning.