Proposal: Downtown Convention Center

vicupstate

Oh lord the city better issue demo permits before people start protesting to keep it. I think the land is too valuable for that house of no significant historical value. If someone wants to do a go fund me to move it, that would be okay. Otherwise, let's look forward instead of backwards.

Edit to say: I researched and 15 Reedy View Drive was built in 1998...

Edited by johnpro318

The house is kind of a character piece and and I could see it being a well-known house if it was in a tourist city (it'd probably have nickname), but I wouldn't fight to keep it if it has no historical significance, even though I kind of like it. I do hope they childrens' park can remain, my little ones love it. And I like the idea of having this type of unique children's park as an alternative to the traditional playgound type park. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

That's interesting. History of the railroad claims that it stopped operation in 1998. I wonder if they sold it and it was extensively renovated?

Agreed, the timing of the railroad closure and the information about when this house was built is curious.  It could not have been used for the railroad office if it wasnt built until after the office was closed.  Maybe we should pump our brakes before sending the bulldozers over.  This house is either new, or renovated.  If it has historical significance it should be evaluated for consideration to be preserved.   This should be part of doing business in our town, we dont bulldoze history.  "Lets bulldoze all of our Mills. Hey then in 100 years lets fill in the falls, and build there.  its all for progress right? that land will be really valuable then."  Nah,  History is an important part of Greenville.   Those who ignore the past are destined to repeat it.

Edited by gvegascple

8 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

I walked through that house around 1998 and it had been renovated at that time. The RR took ownership of the property in 1920, so it probably already had the house then or it was built shortly after that.

I vote to move it. 

Is it the same owner as the conference center site?

I think it's kind of cool having it where it is. It's a really fascinating juxtaposition between old and new Greenville. Small old office & new modern museum/economy. Railroad past & current SRT/US Highway overpass. Would be neat to throw some tracks back on the ground as a part of the children's garden. I know there still some under the bridge.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

Is it the same owner as the conference center site?

I think it's kind of cool having it where it is. It's a really fascinating juxtaposition between old and new Greenville. Small old office & new modern museum/economy. Railroad past & current SRT/US Highway overpass. Would be neat to throw some tracks back on the ground as a part of the children's garden. I know there still some under the bridge.

I like the juxtaposition too. If moving was needed, it may only need to be moved a few feet.   That would keep it near the tracks and the children's garden.  If done right, Its a nice tie in and then maybe cements the Children's garden over there for the foreseeable future.   Well, unless someone wants to bulldoze the Children's garden to put a Tesla charging station there.

Edited by gvegascple

• 3 weeks later...

Happy to hear acknowledgement that they're moving forward with the design work! Updated renderings should trickle out over the next year. It will be interesting to see what this actually looks like as they really dive into design and building systems. The timeline they've set forth seems reasonable.

• 3 months later...

I wonder what the status of this is. I wouldn’t be totally surprised if it’s still somehow on schedule. By the time it’s completed, COVID-19 may be gone but there may be a large economic depression waiting on the other end of the tunnel. 

54 minutes ago, gman430 said:

I saw this thread updated and thought there was some good news that had come out. I’m gonna go cry now. :cry:

I feel I should’ve provided a warning. :tw_sweat: maybe we’ll hear an update soon... like.. totally within the next three years. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • The planning is in the hands of city and county governments who are preparing a Request For Proposal.
  • The plan will require $78 million in public funding from the city, county, state and governor.  However, COVID-19 delayed the project, including a Senate vote on $19 million in gubernatorial funding.
  • An estimated $300 million in private investments will fund the rest of the project.
  • The event center will be able to hold up to 2,000 people for sit-down dinners, and it will include an outdoor space and two world-class art museums. 
  • Aughtry estimates construction will begin in 2022.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...