Proposal: Downtown Convention Center

vicupstate

On 12/1/2020 at 1:31 AM, gman430 said:

Contract awarded to LMN Architects for the Downtown Conference Center & Mixed-Use Development: https://www.lmnarchitects.com

This is going to be really cool.  I like the other projects this firm has done.  This project along with the park and county square will be three exciting projects running concurrently.  Looking back,  its been one after the other here for decades.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, cabelagent said:

Hope I'm wrong...Covid may knock this down a few floors.  Also hope we're not looking at same rendering this time next year. 

I would think so too, unless it will be a few years, in which case the downtown economy should have a chance to recover better, meaning hotel rooms will be more needed and the other new rooms coming on line will have more chance to be absorbed.

As for the renderings, if it ends up being this boxy I am going to puke. The tall one literally looks like the Landmark building without the external elevator shaft. Please, PLEASE let it not look anything like that, even shape wise.  Even the 3 shorter ones are so boxy and will look like all the other 6-10 story buildings in downtown. I realize this is sort of a napkin conceptual rendering (I hope), just saying I really hope we can get something truly creative and daring for this. Let's please not do another Camperdown here! Camperdown architecture is ok, but lets no replicate that.

Sure is a lot of negativity in this thread. Maybe they should just cancel the whole project and leave the site a parking lot. That would be a much better use. Seriously though, it hasn’t even started construction yet. By the time it does and is complete which is several years away, Covid might and will probably be long gone by then. Also, this is a placeholder to show you the scale of the proposed buildings not actual renderings. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, gman430 said:

Sure is a lot of negativity in this thread. Maybe they should just cancel the whole project and leave the site a parking lot. That would be a much better use. Seriously though, it hasn’t even started construction yet. By the time it does and is complete which is several years away, Covid might and will probably be long gone by then. Also, this is a placeholder to show you the scale of the proposed buildings not actual renderings. 

This was my thoughts exactly. We are very spoiled in this area. And it shows sometimes.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

I would think so too, unless it will be a few years, in which case the downtown economy should have a chance to recover better, meaning hotel rooms will be more needed and the other new rooms coming on line will have more chance to be absorbed.

As for the renderings, if it ends up being this boxy I am going to puke. The tall one literally looks like the Landmark building without the external elevator shaft. Please, PLEASE let it not look anything like that, even shape wise.  Even the 3 shorter ones are so boxy and will look like all the other 6-10 story buildings in downtown. I realize this is sort of a napkin conceptual rendering (I hope), just saying I really hope we can get something truly creative and daring for this. Let's please not do another Camperdown here! Camperdown architecture is ok, but lets no replicate that.

Thats a lot of assumption based off a line drawing. For all we know...the tower could be compleatly covered in glass panels (which is  alook I like) but yes it could also end up looking like the Landmark Building. In any case, I welcome a bit of diversity in the way downtown looks. I am rather tired of the homage to textile mills with UFO landing pads on top. 

1 hour ago, sptgguy said:

Thats a lot of assumption based off a line drawing. For all we know...the tower could be compleatly covered in glass panels (which is  alook I like) but yes it could also end up looking like the Landmark Building. In any case, I welcome a bit of diversity in the way downtown looks. I am rather tired of the homage to textile mills with UFO landing pads on top. 

I'm not really assuming anything too much, just making comments on the conceptual rendering as is, but I know it could end up being totally different (and hope it does). The UFO landings don't bother me. They were a fad for a few years, and we have enough of them, and don't need anymore. But, we have way more textile building tributes and brick/glass shoe boxes, and that is the last thing I want to see at this development. Surely there are other types of architecture we can get that would "fit in" that wouldn't just be more rectangular boxes. The Bohemian Hotel is a great example of more creative and different architecture.

Edited by distortedlogic
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, vicupstate said:

This is not a rendering but only shows rough massing.  Every building shown is not going to be built all at once either.  Covid will be old news before they even break ground.  

Man...I hope you're right about that.  I'm praying there's not another (new) strand of this one that shuts the country down again. We need some solid answers where this one came from...

Edited by cabelagent

28 minutes ago, cabelagent said:

Man...I hope you're right about that.  I'm praying there's not another (new) strand of this one that shuts the country down again. We need some solid answers where this one came from...

We know where it came from and it's well known that complete prevention of the occurrence of these viruses happening is impossible. What we need is global leadership to identify and eliminate threats as quickly as possible. A sort of Pandemic Playbook with designated members and responsibilities if you will.  Getting off topic here though.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, gman430 said:

I would love to imagine a new, truly iconic highrise, but am doubtful that either of these developments are moving in that direction.  We could add $100 million to the aforementioned UCB investment and still not achieve a new "tallest" building downtown.  The museum/hotel/conference center may emerge with greater potential, but it sits very low alongside the Reedy River and seems unlikely to be considered for such a design in today's economy.

I would love to see a new tallest on the vacant lot at the intersection of South Main and Broad Streets.  I would also love to see a new tall office tower incorporated into the redevelopment of the aging municipal parking garage between the Hyatt Regency and County Courthouse.  Other properties with notable potential include the bus transit terminal site, the Gateway site (including properties on the arena side of Beattie Place), properties southeast of the Broad Street and Falls Street intersection, and of course properties within the redeveloping County Square site.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1