Proposal: Downtown Convention Center

vicupstate

14 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

The old Palmetto Bank building, right?

They also have offices in the old Erwin Penland building on Broad Street. My guess is that these jobs will be just relocated ones from their headquarters in Georgia. Will be interesting to see if all of their office space downtown will all be consolidated under one building or remain in separate ones. 

Edited by gman430

3 minutes ago, motonenterprises said:

Yes. It was built only a few years ago. Are they building another one? I missed this information somehow.

Looks that way: https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/53390-leasing-property-transfers-in-downtownwest-end-vicinity/page/20/#comments

Edited by gman430

4 hours ago, Skyliner said:

I would love to imagine a new, truly iconic highrise, but am doubtful that either of these developments are moving in that direction.  We could add $100 million to the aforementioned UCB investment and still not achieve a new "tallest" building downtown.  The museum/hotel/conference center may emerge with greater potential, but it sits very low alongside the Reedy River and seems unlikely to be considered for such a design in today's economy.

I would love to see a new tallest on the vacant lot at the intersection of South Main and Broad Streets.  I would also love to see a new tall office tower incorporated into the redevelopment of the aging municipal parking garage between the Hyatt Regency and County Courthouse.  Other properties with notable potential include the bus transit terminal site, the Gateway site (including properties on the arena side of Beattie Place), properties southeast of the Broad Street and Falls Street intersection, and of course properties within the redeveloping County Square site.

We're on the same page.  I too would love something iconic, or at least unique, but we generally see 6-10 story modern boxes. Unless someone can think outside of said box, that's what we'll continue to get.

On 1/10/2021 at 3:30 PM, distortedlogic said:

We're on the same page.  I too would love something iconic, or at least unique, but we generally see 6-10 story modern boxes. Unless someone can think outside of said box, that's what we'll continue to get.

Put me down for team iconic tallest as well.  I agree that all of those locations are prime although having a convention center and museum as part of the project, this one seems like it would be an incredible waste of opportunity if not iconic.

Edited by gvegascple
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, gman said:

agreed, that thing would be terrible there.  Its the shape that kills it for me.  It looks like three giant offset shipping containers stacked right on top of each other offset a little bit.  For me, if you are leveraging something as overdone as the offset shipping container look, do something new with it.  Twist them on an axis, stand one straight up or diagonally, sheesh.

Edited by gvegascple

1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

I’d like that for the CU-ICAR campus. 

Agree. And i actually wouldn't mind something like that downtown either, its unique and a bit daring for Greenville and would be different than all the modern boxes. I don't love it but it's something different. 

Edited by distortedlogic

22 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

agreed, that thing would be terrible there.  Its the shape that kills it for me.  It looks like three giant offset shipping containers stacked right on top of each other offset a little bit.  For me, if you are leveraging something as overdone as the offset shipping container look, do something new with it.  Twist them on an axis, stand one straight up or diagonally, sheesh.

It is actually supposed to look like shipping containers due to its location. For charleston...that building is totally new. I wouldnt mind it being in downtown G-ville. 

• 2 months later...
37 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

That looks like operating budgets, not Capital improvements (aka "Bond Bill"). 

I hope you’re right but I looked at the appropriations for the House & Ways Committee which is where it was listed last year and it’s not there either now. I’ve got a bad feeling it got yanked due to budget constraints from Covid. 

Edited by gman430

3 hours ago, vicupstate said:

^^ There were many other bond projects in the same list with the Convention Center.  Are those gone too?  I doubt they would have all been cut. Especially with the last round of stimulus in DC getting approved.  I think it is just too different pots of money.  

Gotta be included in that big pot of stimulus money...you know, the one that includes all that free $$$ for stuff that has little to do with covid relief.   :yahoo:

4 hours ago, vicupstate said:

^^ There were many other bond projects in the same list with the Convention Center.  Are those gone too?  I doubt they would have all been cut. Especially with the last round of stimulus in DC getting approved.  I think it is just too different pots of money.  

According to the media, none of the stimulus money is being used right now. It’s all going towards the reserve funds: https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article250140649.html They went from having $800 million in revenue to spend down to just $189 million in revenue to spend. Gotta cut somewhere with that big of a difference.

Here is last years: https://www.scstatehouse.gov/CommitteeInfo/2000000325/full ways and means committee meeting_02202020/SCD FY20-21 Full Committee 2-20-20.pdf It is listed under “Arts Commission.”

Here is this years: https://www.scstatehouse.gov/CommitteeInfo/Ways&MeansBudgetDocuments/FY2021-22/FY 2021-22 Summary Control Document.pdf Not listed under “Arts Commission” anymore.

“Lawmakers had to work with a limited amount of new recurring projected revenue, just $189 million to spend — down from the $800 million they expected to have before the COVID-19 pandemic — and they also have $956 million of nonrecurring dollars available. However, much of that one-time money is being set aside for the state’s capital reserve fund and a COVID-19 reserve fund to help ease any future stress on the state budget resulting from the pandemic.

As a protection against the economy slowing again, House budget writers set aside $500 million of the nonrecurring money in a contingency fund to cover shortfalls in the future.”

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

^^ I got an email saying the meeting  was cancelled.  

It has indeed been cancelled. Not sure why either. :( The whole project is probably not gonna get built now thanks to the state legislators screwing us over. Ugh. 

Edited by gman430

• 2 weeks later...

Some good news possibly: https://www.postandcourier.com/politics/sc-legislators-can-add-1-7b-to-their-negotiations-for-the-states-budget/article_3c960ace-987e-11eb-b7f0-43a5aa157e11.html

“Legislative budget writers will have about $385.8 million of new recurring money, up from $182.8 million the Board of Economic Advisors last estimated. A projected surplus, $646 million the state had available but did not spend for the current fiscal year, will give lawmakers up to $1.3 billion of one-time money available to be appropriated during the 2021-22 fiscal year.

In total, lawmakers have an additional $1.7 billion available to spend that they didn’t in the budget year that ends June 30.”

Edited by gman430