Proposal: Downtown Convention Center

vicupstate

17 hours ago, gman430 said:

Looks like mid-late 2022 for construction start. You can read more on Bob Jones plans here: https://beautymatters.museumgiving.org

I really hope the new Bob Jones museum is befitting of the artwork. I really like the layout and artistry of the rooms themselves, including the molding and decorative doorways, etc of the old one. It really felt like the setting and art work went together.  A new modern building would not fit the display at all.

Edited by distortedlogic

Interesting in the website for the new museum how it appears they're trying to give themselves a bit of distance from Bob Jones University and the Bob Jones name.  I wonder what they'll name the museum when it's built... On the site they just refer to it as the M&G, which is pretty vague. 

Truth be told though, I hope they do distance themselves and I hope they give it a better new name.  Anything attached to the Bob Jones name makes you think that if you try to visit, Sister Beulah Betterthanyou will be on door duty, appraise you, and refuse to let you in on the grounds you are a wicked sinner who will burn in the depths.  Either that, or you'll be forced to handle a snake before you can get in or something.  Either way it's offputting.  

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, hauntedheadnc said:

Interesting in the website for the new museum how it appears they're trying to give themselves a bit of distance from Bob Jones University and the Bob Jones name.  I wonder what they'll name the museum when it's built... On the site they just refer to it as the M&G, which is pretty vague. 

Truth be told though, I hope they do distance themselves and I hope they give it a better new name.  Anything attached to the Bob Jones name makes you think that if you try to visit, Sister Beulah Betterthanyou will be on door duty, appraise you, and refuse to let you in on the grounds you are a wicked sinner who will burn in the depths.  Either that, or you'll be forced to handle a snake before you can get in or something.  Either way it's offputting.  

I would think BJU should get credit and recognition for putting the collection together; after all, they wouldn't be building a new exhibition space if the collection didn't exist. Why the disdain for BJU? Your post reads very judgemental and intolerant of them; perhaps a bit of irony?  If you don't like the gallery you certainly don't ever have to visit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

I would think BJU should get credit and recognition for putting the collection together; after all, they wouldn't be building a new exhibition space if the collection didn't exist. Why the disdain for BJU? Your post reads very judgemental and intolerant of them; perhaps a bit of irony?  If you don't like the gallery you certainly don't ever have to visit.

The disdain comes from the fact that nothing is so toxic or has hurt more people than morbid religiosity, and because I have been on the receiving end of it more times than I care to count, as has my husband -- which is to say that Bobby has made it abundantly clear he wouldn't want my kind visiting anyway. And not only because I'm gay: I'm white and my husband is Black, so we've got a compound sin going on here as far as Mr. Jones is/was concerned. Tell me for instance, has a Southern Baptist minister ever interrupted your stepfather's funeral to point at you and tell you you're going to hell, in front of the entire church?  That happened to me. 

That being said, I appreciate beauty, even when ugly institutions which cause pain and darkness in the world collect it. I intend to visit.  

And that is all we need to say about the matter. Consider the subject dropped. 

Edited by hauntedheadnc
  • Like 2

Budget that includes $19 million for this project has passed both the House and Senate. It now goes to the governors desk for this approval: https://www.postandcourier.com/politics/legislators-send-gov-mcmaster-a-10-8b-spending-package-with-200m-in-earmarks/article_3eea6dbe-d2bd-11eb-b8ec-0fff57aaea43.html

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gman said:

Well, it looks like McMaster has vetoed a lot of earmarks, including $19 million for our projects. Am I wrong?  https://www.postandcourier.com/politics/mcmaster-vetoes-153m-in-earmarks-from-legislatures-10-8b-spending-plan/article_73a53f20-d5ce-11eb-853b-6ba9b250182e.html

It appears he vetoed all of them. These vetoes may be overridden however. That was par for the course under Sanford. Not sure what the record has been under McMaster. 

Lawmakers will meet on June 29 to discuss if they want to override McMaster's vetoes and keep some of these projects in the budget.  I expect all of these vetoes to be overridden by the legislature. 

Edited by gman430

Uh oh: 

The Legislature will return next week to consider whether to uphold or override McMaster’s vetoes. The vast majority, if not all, of the spending is expected to survive his veto pen. 

That’s partly due to the way the items are bundled. While each recipient is disclosed, the earmarks are packaged together in seven segments in the budget. 

47 minutes ago, NewlyUpstate said:

Huh? The legislature is expected to override the veto. But yeah McMaster is a dumbass for this.. and many other things

The legislature is not excepted to override any of the vetoes according to the latest media reports. :( It’s over. Apaladin was right. I’ll bring flowers to the funeral. 

Edited by gman430

9 hours ago, gman430 said:

The legislature is not excepted to override any of the vetoes according to the latest media reports. :( It’s over. Apaladin was right. I’ll bring flowers to the funeral. 

That is not what I am hearing. The legislature knew McMaster was trying t make a point before they approved the budget. They will override the vetoes, but will make sure the system is changed going forward. 

1 hour ago, gman said:

That is not what I am hearing. The legislature knew McMaster was trying t make a point before they approved the budget. They will override the vetoes, but will make sure the system is changed going forward. 

“The Legislature will return next week to consider whether to uphold or override McMaster’s vetoes. The vast majority, if not all, of the spending is expected to survive his veto pen. 

That’s partly due to the way the items are bundled. While each recipient is disclosed, the earmarks are packaged together in seven segments in the budget. 

That also explains, McMaster said, why he ended up vetoing several of his own budget recommendations.”

Source: https://www.postandcourier.com/politics/mcmaster-vetoes-153m-in-earmarks-from-legislatures-10-8b-spending-plan/article_73a53f20-d5ce-11eb-853b-6ba9b250182e.html

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

The vast majority, if not all, of the spending is expected to survive his veto pen. 

Unless this is a typo and the word "not" is missing before expected. This says the veto will be mostly or completely overridden.

23 minutes ago, olrob said:

Unless this is a typo and the word "not" is missing before expected. This says the veto will be mostly or completely overridden.

No it doesn’t. It clearly says most if not all of the earmarks are expected to survive his veto pen signatures which means his vetoes will stay intact. 

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

No it doesn’t. It clearly says most if not all of the earmarks are expected to survive his veto pen signatures which means his vetoes will stay intact. 

So, what are you saying? Your original post implied the vetoes will NOT be overridden and that its over for this project..

8 hours ago, gman430 said:

“The Legislature will return next week to consider whether to uphold or override McMaster’s vetoes. The vast majority, if not all, of the spending is expected to survive his veto pen. 

That also explains, McMaster said, why he ended up vetoing several of his own budget recommendations.”

Source: https://www.postandcourier.com/politics/mcmaster-vetoes-153m-in-earmarks-from-legislatures-10-8b-spending-plan/article_73a53f20-d5ce-11eb-853b-6ba9b250182e.html

Yeah, I think you have to look at the context of this part above. In other words, the legislature will meet to determine of they will override his veto ( in which case the  spending bill will survive and the veto will not).  If they override, the money will be allocated to the specific earmarks; including, the convention center in Greenville.

I do think there is a conversation to be had about earmarks in general, AND the bundling that goes on for funding, but that is beyond this thread.

On 6/18/2021 at 2:00 PM, hauntedheadnc said:

The disdain comes from the fact that nothing is so toxic or has hurt more people than morbid religiosity, and because I have been on the receiving end of it more times than I care to count, as has my husband -- which is to say that Bobby has made it abundantly clear he wouldn't want my kind visiting anyway. And not only because I'm gay: I'm white and my husband is Black, so we've got a compound sin going on here as far as Mr. Jones is/was concerned. Tell me for instance, has a Southern Baptist minister ever interrupted your stepfather's funeral to point at you and tell you you're going to hell, in front of the entire church?  That happened to me. 

That being said, I appreciate beauty, even when ugly institutions which cause pain and darkness in the world collect it. I intend to visit.  

And that is all we need to say about the matter. Consider the subject dropped. 

I am more than happy to drop the subject. However, I do think, for the sake of having honest discussions, it's not helpful for one person to express their views and then "close" the topic before others can express theirs. I am  very sorry you have been hurt by what others have said to you, and I mean that.  However, your posts on this are painted with extremely broad brushes here, and I could easily argue that religious persons have done immeasurable good for humanity.  I know this is a very sensitive social issue, but despite what you have been told, almost no Christians have any hatred for you at all. I am glad to hear you would be willing to visit the museum and I seriously doubt you will be harassed at the door and prevented from going in. Anyway, I won't comment further on this unless you want to.

• Like 2