Proposal: Downtown Convention Center

vicupstate

19 hours ago, apaladin said:

When does construction start? :rofl:

Expect a story from the P&C regarding a construction timeline within the next week or two. I imagine construction will start within the next year. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

With $19 million in state funding now committed from South Carolina's budget, public input sessions for a new downtown conference center will likely begin in the next month or so, city spokesperson Beth Brotherton said: 

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/greenville/downtown/2021/07/06/downtown-greenville-conference-center-plans-start-funding-sc/7831979002/?utm_source=greenvilleonline-Daily Briefing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily_briefing&utm_term=hero&utm_content=1120GN-E-NLETTER65

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, gman430 said:

With $19 million in state funding now committed from South Carolina's budget, public input sessions for a new downtown conference center will likely begin in the next month or so, city spokesperson Beth Brotherton said: 

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/greenville/downtown/2021/07/06/downtown-greenville-conference-center-plans-start-funding-sc/7831979002/?utm_source=greenvilleonline-Daily Briefing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily_briefing&utm_term=hero&utm_content=1120GN-E-NLETTER65

30 story building?

• 2 weeks later...

Didn’t know where to put this but since it mentioned the Greenville Convention Center I put it here. There was a full page ad in this mornings GNews from www. MYIECA.com about being in Greenville 7/20 thu 7/24 to evaluate and/or purchase couns, watches, jewelry etc. The only problem is the address they give is in Greenville, NC not SC. They never mention SC or NC. Thought it was comical. They just waisted a full page ad. Somebody screwed up!

:rofl:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/politics/19m-for-downtown-greenville-conference-center-among-dozens-of-state-earmarks-for-upstate/article_f844319e-f09c-11eb-b215-c73343cd009c.html

Currently, the city is performing “due diligence” on options for the site and financial feasibility, city spokeswoman Beth Brotherton told The Post and Courier on July 29.

In mid-August, the city plans to seek stakeholder and public input on the project, Brotherton said. City Council will be briefed on progress on Aug. 23.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

https://www.wyff4.com/article/greenville-city-seeks-to-sell-convention-center-maybe-build-new-conference-center/37247223

Interesting piece about the city wanting to sell the Convention Center to the county. It could be the end of the convention center if it happens; it was the city who bought it out and made it usable again a few years back. This is interesting timing. The city previously said they wanted to keep the convention center and that there was plenty of room for both it and a new conference center, yet now they want to dump it. I don't know; I still think there is plenty of reasons to have a large convention center and I would hate for us to lose it. Also interesting she said there is still no design for the new conference center, so the preliminary stuff we saw may not be anything close to what actually happens.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, apaladin said:

i bet the "tall" building we've seen in renderings is either not there or not over 8 stories. 

Oh…you don’t have to worry about it being tall. If it’s anything over four stories in height the NIMBY’s from the West End Neighborhood Association or whatever it’s called will show up to the DRB meeting and act like the sky is falling if it gets approved. :console:Remember County Square? :D Will probably even make @ausrutherfordstart drinking again. 

Edited by gman430
  • Haha 1

Greenville could lose events if convention center sold

If the losses became 'unsustainable' only due to Covid, that is not a reason to sell.  The city got $8 mm in Federal relief just last month, and replenishing lost revenue was one of the purposes for that. I hope the city/county don't do something they will regret later.  You will NEVER get that much square footage back again for pennies on the dollar like the original purchase. Although ,a size/footprint reduction might make sense.    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, apaladin said:

i bet the "tall" building we've seen in renderings is either not there or not over 8 stories. 

Yeah, it'll be like, "Developers want the scale and architecture of the project to fit in with the surrounding area; construction will include up to a 6 story tower with mill style brick and boxy boring architecture. It will mark a game-changer for downtown and will expand the ever growing skyline. Developers will continue to work with area residents who have concerns the massive scale of the project could change the atmosphere of downtown." "We've lived in Greenville for decades and we're concerned the amount of development and height of buildings is taking the 'Green" out of Greenville; this isn't Atlanta and we don't need all these skyscrapers," says one local resident.

See, I could write for the snooze... :D

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Yeah, it'll be like, "Developers want the scale and architecture of the project to fit in with the surrounding area; construction will include up to a 6 story tower with mill style brick and boxy boring architecture. It will mark a game-changer for downtown and will expand the ever growing skyline. Developers will continue to work with area residents who have concerns the massive scale of the project could change the atmosphere of downtown." "We've lived in Greenville for decades and we're concerned the amount of development and height of buildings is taking the 'Green" out of Greenville; this isn't Atlanta and we don't need all these skyscrapers," says one local resident.

See, I could write for the snooze... :D

Hopefully it has a flat roof and is made out of brick at least. :D 

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2