Proposal: Downtown Convention Center

vicupstate

• 1 month later...

13 hours ago, gman430 said:

This project appears to be on hold until further notice. 

If we don't get 25,000 sq ft of event space or more and a big beautiful tower with this, put me down for building an aquarium here instead.  Maybe Art Museum/Aquarium and they can still connect ES to it.

Edited by gvegascple
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, GVLover said:

I’m still waiting for clarification if this is indeed on hold, and the reason why. 

It is not on hold. Don’t believe those few that keep saying that just because they don’t get updated every single day. I guess they are trying to be funny.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Is this for the downtown one or the current one on Pleasantburg Drive? Not real clear going off the agenda: 9545?fileID=52751

I don't think the City has ever really referred to the downtown proposal as a "convention center". Typically, they use the term "Conference Center". 

Ah, I must have let my hopes override my vision. Most likely it is the Pleasantburg facility. In the State of the city address, Mayor White said the county would be taking it over after the new center in built, that is if I understood it correctly.  

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Though not related to the conference center project, I can only imagine the costs of this project have increased quite a bit considering the Greenlink bus depot project is now approaching the costs of Unity Park. Government dragging their feet on getting projects like these done is unacceptable as it now will costs taxpayers even more money. Does the money appropriated by the state towards the conference center project have a date that it must be used?

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/cost-estimates-for-greenlink-bus-depot-jump-19m-threatening-delays/article_8734cc9c-edae-11ec-b5e6-eb4eb7a9552b.html

Edited by GVLover

Does the money appropriated by the state towards the conference center project have a date that it must be used?

I can't speak to this specific appropriation, but I have not heard of there being a deadline per se, in previous appropriations of this type. 

I honestly thought the Transit facility had at least broken ground already.  Nobody has a crystal ball, but there is a big risk to delays and this is an example.     

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

No news does not mean bad news. There is far too much money on the table for this to just go away.  

Well, when can we expect some news? Would be nice if we could get some sort of update so we’re not sitting here twiddling our thumbs. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gman430 said:

Well, when can we expect some news? Would be nice if we could get some sort of update so we’re not sitting here twiddling our thumbs. 

Would be nice if you’d pull out your fabulous drone and twiddle your thumbs with making some fine new pics for our enjoyment  :D

• Like 1