Proposal: Downtown Convention Center

vicupstate

10 minutes ago, gman430 said:

It’s gonna be part of the mixed use development. Hughes will own the air rights above the ground level. Remember the state’s tallest proposed? Yeah, that’s part of this. 

Was the tallest building presented or discussed in yesterday's meeting? 

10 minutes ago, Den2Gvl said:

Was the tallest building presented or discussed in yesterday's meeting? 

No. The only thing presented and discussed was the museum, convention center and hotel. Hughes did mention that he wanted to build condos above the ground level and have the air rights/ownership to it though. That goes hand and hand with the new state’s tallest seeing how that building is proposed to be condos. We’ll just have to wait and see what actually gets proposed and built here. Fingers crossed. 

Edited by gman430

11 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

...I would like to see the taller building be less boxy, (can't we get something without a flat top please)

Yes. If we're aiming to emulate larger, growing cities, let's imitate Atlanta and not Houston. Let's have a "pinnacle".

4 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

I would also prefer more traditional, time-tested architecture.

I second this, too. Particularly if one of the biggest draws is BJU's religious art collection.

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

I was thinking the same thing about Trailside.  Just think of the possibilities if it were still vacant now.  Another thing is the architecture will probably not age well.  The DRB really erred in pulling them away from the Mill style architecture they started with.

Well, the good thing is that it seems easily accessible under the bridge. Maybe they could work out a mutually beneficial arrangement that will develop that parking lot into something more compatible with the events center. There's lemonade to be made there, at least potentially.

Only 5% of the museum's collection is on display at any one time?

Why such a small percentage? Why would you invest in art that may never go on display? Or are they rapidly rotating less-noteworthy works?

Clearly I know literally nothing about the business side of the art world.

Just now, Dale said:

Very nice! What are the odds it goes ahead as tallest ?

These renderings are conceptual at the moment, but Hughes has an excellent reputation in Greenville for following through so something could be built and it may be significant. 

9 minutes ago, Exile said:

Only 5% of the museum's collection is on display at any one time?

Why such a small percentage? Why would you invest in art that may never go on display? Or are they rapidly rotating less-noteworthy works?

Clearly I know literally nothing about the business side of the art world.

Most museums I’ve heard of have significant amounts of their art in storage. I’ll leave it up to someone more knowledge to provide answers for your other questions. 

4 minutes ago, GVLover said:

Most museums I’ve heard of have significant amounts of their art in storage. I’ll leave it up to someone more knowledge to provide answers for your other questions. 

Thanks. I've been to lots of museums on both sides of the Atlantic, but it never occurred to me that what I was looking at was just the tip of an iceberg of works.

I can see most of this being built but looks like "the tallest building" was thrown in to make it look better. I have learned to not doubt Aughtry and Hughes as they are big time players/doers. However does anyone really think this building has any chance of becoming a reality in the next 10 years?

4 hours ago, gman430 said:

I’m just waiting for the county to say no to the $26 million the developers are requesting. Once that happens, we can kiss this project goodbye. 

Well one thing that probably helps is that there are two BJU grads on the Council. I assume they would like to get the M&G a more prominent center. 

17 hours ago, GVLover said:

Just watch the movie Night at the Museum for proof! https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477347/videoplayer/vi1663697689

Edited by gman

7 hours ago, gman430 said:

I’m just waiting for the county to say no to the $26 million the developers are requesting. Once that happens, we can kiss this project goodbye. 

While it is not a done deal yet, by any means, I would not bet the mortgage that they would say no. Assuming everything else falls into place, there will be a lot of political pressure to come through. Rememebr Hughes donated millions for the main library years ago.   Plus you have the BJU crowd, which is quite powerful. 

The county already levies a Room tax which MUST go to tourism, so they have a source that isn't levied on residents. Frankly, I  would bet they are sitting on most or all of that  $26mm already.  The tax has been in effect for many years now and  the only thing I know of that it has been spent on is the Visitor Center study/land purchase. And they sold the land to Aughtry at a  profit.

Even if they don't have it on hand, they can bond the revenue stream, which should be more than sufficient to fund it.  Also, the county has a pretty massive fund balance to start with.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, apaladin said:

I can see most of this being built but looks like "the tallest building" was thrown in to make it look better. I have learned to not doubt Aughtry and Hughes as they are big time players/doers. However does anyone really think this building has any chance of becoming a reality in the next 10 years?

Yes I do. First, the building will not start on the ground to begin with. It is on top of the Museums/ Conference center and they look to have  high ceilings on each of about four or five levels.  Judging from the rendering there are about 14-15 floors on top of the base.  Given the prominent site and all the other things included in the project, it isn't hard to see offices, condos or a mix needing that many floors.   The height equvalent would be 18-20 floors  Caperdown is essentially fully leased and construction has barely started.   

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

Yes I do. First, the building will not start on the ground to begin with. It is on top of the Museums/ Conference center and they look to have  high ceilings on each of about four or five levels.  Judging from the rendering there are about 14-15 floors on top of the base.  Given the prominent site and all the other things included in the project, it isn't hard to see offices, condos or a mix needing that many floors.   The height equvalent would be 18-20 floors  Caperdown is essentially fully leased and construction has barely started.   

But the building in reference inst on this site, it is next to RiverWalk... correct?

3 minutes ago, Gville2012 said:

But the building in reference inst on this site, it is next to RiverWalk... correct?

That's correct about the location of the "state's tallest" study that was being discussed. This property is supposedly a part of the donated land according to an earlier post. 

1 hour ago, Gville2012 said:

I got confused. My post was in reference to the tall building in the Convention Center rendering. 

As for the Riverwalk likelyhood, i would imagine it would depend on the Convention Center gets done and how successful it is.  I have a hard time seeing Hughes just pipe-dreaming though.