Nashville's next "statement" public art?

nashvillwill

I love public art. Nashville has a few examples which some people love or hate. "Ghost Ballet", "Musica" (how could you not love that?), and now "strings" (or whatever it is called) at the MCC roundabout, to name a few.

But i think that we can all agree that The Parthenon is Nashville's premier and signature piece of public art. However, as much admiration as The Parthenon is due, let's face it, it's a copy.

So, are we ready for another such piece on such a grand scale?

The Arc de Triomphe, the Buckingham Fountain, CN Tower, David, Trevi Fountain, Coit Tower, Christ The Redeemer...the list could go on!

So, the question is this;

Is it time for Nashville to commision another "signature" piece of public art?

-Where would it go?

-What form would it take? (fountain, statue, tower, obelisk, other)

Just curious what you guys think.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good topic to ponder.    I had always thought the riverfront amphitheater presented a great opportunity to make such a statement.    Since the Gateway/KVB bridge was built, it's become the vantage point photographers favor for images of the Nashville skyline.     Imagine adding to the foreground of all those shots a graceful, well-designed, one-of-a-kind performance shell structure.   I so want a do-over of the bland design in last year's renderings.    I just feel like we're missing a golden opportunity here.      

The one at the roundabout is called Stix I believe and does anybody know when it is supposed to be completed?

According to this report -

"Cole could not say exactly when the art will be installed. Legal issues over land ownership could mean that it will take several years"

http://www.wsmv.com/story/23481325/arts-panel-selects-public-piece-for-outside-music-city-center

I know this project is already caching a lot of grief, but I like it. I would have preferred a local artist but apparently our local artists are only capable of projects in crayon media...it would have been interesting to see some of the submissions that didn't cut it...

According to this report -

"Cole could not say exactly when the art will be installed. Legal issues over land ownership could mean that it will take several years"

http://www.wsmv.com/story/23481325/arts-panel-selects-public-piece-for-outside-music-city-center

I know this project is already caching a lot of grief, but I like it. I would have preferred a local artist but apparently our local artists are only capable of projects in crayon media...it would have been interesting to see some of the submissions that didn't cut it...

I like it too.  I think it'll definitely be one of those projects that you can't get a good idea of the scale of it until you see it in person.

• 1 month later...

Which is your favorite Nashville Public Art Piece from the below collection?

Mine is "Reflection"(the shiny birdy thingy in Shelby park)...With "Ghost Ballet" a close second.

Collection

The Collection consists of completed Public Art projects, paid for by the Percent For Public Art Fund.

pa1.jpgpa13.jpgpa15.jpgpa2.jpgBR3.pngpa17.jpgpa16.jpgBR2.pngBR1.pngpa35.jpgBR6.pngBR5.pngBR4.pngpa14.jpgpa7.jpgpa3.jpgpa5.jpggb10.jpgpa33.jpgpa9.jpgpa8.jpgpa34.jpgpa4.jpgWTM002.jpgWTM006.jpgWTM005.jpgWTM001.jpgWTM003.jpgWTM004.jpg

Unfortunately, Picasso and Chagall and Miro are all dead.

And Chicagoans absolutely dested those public art works at the time that they were installed.  Some things take a while to grow on you.

My favorite Nashville public art piece would be Fannie Mae Dees park.  Interesting and functional.  I like Ghost Ballet as well, but I think that it is best viewed from the east bank, where it creates a rounded frame ideally suited for looking up Broadway.

I was actually going to post the same thing. I remember playing on that thing as a kid.

Me too man.  Great memories there.  My mom has told me that I used to hug it and talk to it...apparently, I needed more friends.  hahaha

Me too man.  Great memories there.  My mom has told me that I used to hug it and talk to it...apparently, I needed more friends.  hahaha

Did you ever play in the little tunnel behind the sea serpent? 

My friends and I used to play "war" on that. Man...for as simple as a lot of that park is, it was so easy to use your imagination.

I took my nieces to that park not too long ago...it instantly became their favorite park (and they don't get to go much, since they live in Spring Hill).

Did you ever play in the little tunnel behind the sea serpent? 

My friends and I used to play "war" on that. Man...for as simple as a lot of that park is, it was so easy to use your imagination.

I took my nieces to that park not too long ago...it instantly became their favorite park (and they don't get to go much, since they live in Spring Hill).

Oh for sure!!  That tunnel and that mound near there were perfect for a good game of war or king of the hill or hide and seek or just about any other childhood game.  It really is amazing how memorable and loved that park is when you consider how simple and bare-bones it really is aside from the dragon/sea serpent.  I guess it just goes to show how far unique stuff like that can go to creating a true sense of place. 

Archived