• New York
    • Chicago
    • Los Angeles
    • Washington, D.C.
    • Dallas
    • Houston
    • Baltimore
    • Nashville

I put this on here because I wanted to know your opinions about what the best city for african americans is. My vote is for atlanta, because atlanta caters to minorities in climbing the ladder to a successfull business. Most talented african americans debut in atlanta( Atlanta has a multibillion-dollar music industry). AND Atlanta has been voted #1 tourist destination for african americans.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found a website that has ranked the cities...not surprisingly, most of the ones you listed are on here.

http://www.blackenterprise.com/AboutUsOpen...tBE/0704pr.html

I didn't vote for number 1, though, I voted for my hometown. :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that Charlotte could have been included in this poll. Also, I would consider Jacksonville as well. However, I wouldn't include any city in the western part of the US.

I was just curious what you thought, I didnt chose all the cities for any particular reason, but it is true. Los Angelos should not be listed. It is more difficult to find jobs there, there's a higher cost of living, and does not cater to minorities as well as southern cities do.

Black migration, 1995-2000--largest MSA gains:

1. Atlanta--114,478

2. Dallas--39,360

3. Charlotte--23,313

4. Orlando--20,222

5. Las Vegas--18,912

6. Norfolk-Virginia Beach--16,660

7. Raleigh-Durham--16,144

8. Washington-Baltimore--16,139

9. Memphis--12,507

10. Columbia-10,899

Black migration, 1995-2000--largest MSA losses:

1. NYC--(193,061)

2. Chicago--(59,282)

3. Los Angeles--(38,833)

4. San Francisco--(30,613)

5. Detroit--(15,095)

6. New Orleans--(13,860)

7. San Diego--(9,970)

8. Miami--(7,772)

9. Pittsburgh--(7,425)

10. Boston--(7,018)

http://www.brookings.edu/dybdocroot/urban/...040524_Frey.pdf

It also has the largest percentage of Black people in the nation in terms of total population.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its metro doesn't. For metros above 1 million, Memphis has the largest percentage at 43%.

I think Atlanta and DC are neck and neck, but I decided on ATL b/c of the large numbers of wealthy black entertainers/athletes who choose to live there. They are voting with their feet and money.

As to Jacksonville, this is, of course, anecdotal evidence but it seems like half of my black clients have moved down here from somewhere else, so we are definitely attracting black migrants from other areas of the country.

^ There definitely is a reverse migration in the southeast for Blacks - census is indicating that the historical trend of Blacks moving to the northeast from the southeast is now very dead & now the population trend of northeast to the southeast is now including Blacks.

I hope for the best that it is an indication that our society is modernizing & not just b/c of jobs & cheap homes.

^  There definitely is a reverse migration in the southeast for Blacks - census is indicating that the historical trend of Blacks moving to the northeast from the southeast is now very dead & now the population trend of northeast to the southeast is now including Blacks.

I hope for the best that it is an indication that our society is modernizing & not  just b/c of jobs & cheap homes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, most Blacks went north for economic reasons after agriculture played out. I'm not sure of any contradiction between "modernizing" and moving South for economic reasons. It's the same reason everyone else moves South.

I think Atlanta and DC are neck and neck, but I decided on ATL b/c of the large numbers of wealthy black entertainers/athletes who choose to live there.  They are voting with their feet and money. 

As to Jacksonville, this is, of course, anecdotal evidence but it seems like half of my black clients have moved down here from somewhere else, so we are definitely attracting black migrants from other areas of the country.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Atlanta might have more entertainers and sports people, but D.C. has the highest percentage of black college graduates with 4 year degrees or higher. Highest income for blacks than any major city, highest percentage of black lawyers and doctors. Even neighboring Prince Georges County Maryland has the highest income of any majority black county in the nation.

QUOTE FROM BLACK ENTERPRISES - "Atlanta, Georgia, ranks as the No. 1 city for African Americans, driven primarily by entrepreneurial opportunities, earnings potential, and cultural activities. Future job growth is strong at 23%, and Atlanta is home to a high number of black-owned businesses. African Americans make up 61% of Atlanta

Archived