New Downtown Hotel at Monroe and Louis

GRDadof3

I was thinking about 50 Monroe the other day and it is kind of interesting that once the BOB Project and tower are finished, the south side will have obscured views. If the hotel gets built to the north, that would take away many of the windows on the north side. This would give CWD the opportunity to basically bring the two buildings that make up 50 Monroe back to their original configuration with facades on the east and west side. 

Joe

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

The Huntington sign is off the building now too. That would be cool if something IS finally happening. This is one of my favorite (looking) projects. 

12287106325_415bb6a803_o.jpg

I didn't realize in the conceptual renderings from before that it shows 50 Monroe deskinned and integrated into the architecture.  Now that all the tennants are vacating maybe we will see more movement on this too.  In the next couple years it might look like the entire city is under construction. 

• 2 months later...
47 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

http://www.grbj.com/articles/84538-international-hotel-brand-eyes-downtown

maybe we will see some movement at this site? Hilton says it would be open January 2018...that's not far out. 

I find this to be interesting timing on this article :whistling:

Wasn't someone just talking about that hotel brand, A C by Marriott, on here just a while ago? I remember looking up their website. http://achotels.marriott.com/

Oh yeah. So the cool modern addition has been nixed? 

AC is a pretty niche brand.  I stayed at the AC in New Orleans and didn't particularly care for it.  It's geared toward the European style minimalist crowd so they are smaller rooms.  They are definitely trendy and it will add a marque niche label toward downtowns image.  It's still surprising to me that we don't have a flagship brand in the works yet.  

Also they have been quietly emptying out 50 Monroe for over a year now.  The article seems to emphasize the parking lot at Louis as the likely site.  It would seem logical to me that 50 Monroe would be the target.  If they do build on the lot, I can't imagine what they have planned for 50 Monroe.  The optimist in me would love to see a major suburban tenant fill 50 Monroe.  (Although I would hate for X99 to start reading from the book of revelation for the parking nightmare that would create.) :)

19 hours ago, MJLO said:

The optimist in me would love to see a major suburban tenant fill 50 Monroe.  (Although I would hate for X99 to start reading from the book of revelation for the parking nightmare that would create.) :)

Too late to create a nightmare when its already here.  50 Monroe and anything else is totally undevelopable right now unless it includes a new construction ramp.  See http://grcity.us/enterprise-services/Parking-Services/Pages/Monthly-Cards-Available.aspx and you tell me how anyone leases anything.  Maybe there's private space, but I kinda doubt there's much.  You'd have to bus all those employees and customers in from the suburbs, too.  

Archived