Living Downtown

Downtowngurl

I have followed these forums off and on for many years and I am able to conclude that some of the poster's work downtown (and have a lot of time to research...thank you!), some live downtown and others just love our city. As I was planning my transition to urban life, after raising our family in one of "the western suburbs", I searched for insight on downtown living and didn't find much.

It might be an interesting topic...

How did you find your condo or apartment?

The adjustments to your lifestyle...

Parking ins and outs...

Perks

Downfalls

Favorites

What businesses would you like to see?

and anything else?

(If I've missed an existing topic that covers this just spin me around and point me in the right direction...)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have followed these forums off and on for many years and I am able to conclude that some of the poster's work downtown (and have a lot of time to research...thank you!), some live downtown and others just love our city. As I was planning my transition to urban life, after raising our family in one of "the western suburbs", I searched for insight on downtown living and didn't find much.

It might be an interesting topic...

How did you find your condo or apartment?

The adjustments to your lifestyle...

Parking ins and outs...

Perks

Downfalls

Favorites

What businesses would you like to see?

and anything else?

(If I've missed an existing topic that covers this just spin me around and point me in the right direction...)

Welcome Downtowngurl! I don't live downtown but work downtown a lot. What businesses would I like to see? More destination retail, and a more rejuvenated safer South Division. I actually think that day is coming sooner than later. A drugstore/pharmacy like Walgreens, or CVS would be nice.

I think the riverfront is fabulous but needs a lot of work to make it more of a continuous year-round loop.

Parking is really going to depend on the project you live in. I don't think GR has reached the point where you can live car-free yet.

I've heard you have to get used to smaller more frequent trips to the grocery store, particularly if you live in an upper floor condo.

A lot of the old loft style condos/apartments are nice but the sound transfer in some of them is really bad. Take a look at a condo on a Thursday or Friday evening when there are a lot of people coming and going, not on a sleepy Sunday afternoon.

Downfalls or complaints I hear is that a lot of businesses downtown are not open very long on Sundays, which may change as the downtown population grows but prepare for it. It won't be like the Rivertown area where restaurants are open late on Sundays.

Many of these subjects have been covered over the last 8 or 9 years this forum has been around, but you'd have to do a lot of searching to find them.

Hopefully that helps some. :)

Welcome Downtowngurl! I don't live downtown but work downtown a lot. What businesses would I like to see? More destination retail, and a more rejuvenated safer South Division. I actually think that day is coming sooner than later. A drugstore/pharmacy like Walgreens, or CVS would be nice.

I think the riverfront is fabulous but needs a lot of work to make it more of a continuous year-round loop.

Parking is really going to depend on the project you live in. I don't think GR has reached the point where you can live car-free yet.

I've heard you have to get used to smaller more frequent trips to the grocery store, particularly if you live in an upper floor condo.

A lot of the old loft style condos/apartments are nice but the sound transfer in some of them is really bad. Take a look at a condo on a Thursday or Friday evening when there are a lot of people coming and going, not on a sleepy Sunday afternoon.

Downfalls or complaints I hear is that a lot of businesses downtown are not open very long on Sundays, which may change as the downtown population grows but prepare for it. It won't be like the Rivertown area where restaurants are open late on Sundays.

Many of these subjects have been covered over the last 8 or 9 years this forum has been around, but you'd have to do a lot of searching to find them.

Hopefully that helps some. :)

Thanks for your input. In searching for a condo we considered many things like walkability, noise, parking, etc. We are directly on Monroe Center.....and loving it! We park on the street and only have trouble during the holidays or when there is a large event, but even then a couple trips around the block and we're in. Hubby's favorite pastime is watching people try to parallel park, it is quite hilarious. Noise has not been an issue whatsoever, inside the building or from outside. 

We are on the third floor and take the stairs, so groceries are purchased in smaller lots. Thank heaven for Grand Butcher (if you haven't been there please go! 855 Michigan St NE). We love Grand Central Market, but it's not for everyday groceries...although they pack me a lunch a couple times a week. I have made a point to introduce myself to the local business owners, I want to know them and support them.

There is a need for a pharmacy. And yes some of the businesses need longer hours and more Sunday hours. I am sure they would if the demand were there, I'll be patient. I don't know what business I'd like to see, when I think of one I realize why they do not exist. MoDiv is an attempt at an "incubator mall" but I find the stores to be sparse...the whole place has a bit of a ghost town feel much like the ill-fated City Centre. I love the comic book store, they did an excellent job of making it vibrant and interesting. I feel like I may run into Sheldon Cooper and Co. when I go in there!

This extreme winter has made it hard to get around as much as we'd like...we are wimpy former-suburbanites. I will say that living on Monroe Center we get the benefit of Snowmelt both on the sidewalk and the street...it's like living living in the Truman Show!

I love seeing local businesses do well and be well represented, there does need to be a mix with some chains and national brands and thats one thing downtown is lacking. The top of the priority would be a drug store as mentioned above as well as a 7/11 and no MI ST and W. Fulton does not count as downtown. I worked at some of the hotels about 10 years ago and those would be the number one destinations that people would have to get a $10-20 taxi to get to and back. I still dont understand how you go to any larger city and they are on every block but there are NO chain convenience stores downtown!

Thanks for your input. In searching for a condo we considered many things like walkability, noise, parking, etc. We are directly on Monroe Center.....and loving it! We park on the street and only have trouble during the holidays or when there is a large event, but even then a couple trips around the block and we're in. Hubby's favorite pastime is watching people try to parallel park, it is quite hilarious. Noise has not been an issue whatsoever, inside the building or from outside. 

You know, my sneaking suspicion is that a good number of the people who complain about parking downtown (but don't live there) are, ultimately, just scared of parallel parking and won't admit it.  It's certainly a skill that atrophies if you don't do it very often, and most suburbanites don't.  And it's really embarrassing when you can't do it, because you're out there in public with traffic and people around.  Even worse if your spouse/significant other is in the car with you.  So it must be unnerving to those people whenever a proposal to build on a surface lot comes up.

You know, my sneaking suspicion is that a good number of the people who complain about parking downtown (but don't live there) are, ultimately, just scared of parallel parking and won't admit it.  It's certainly a skill that atrophies if you don't do it very often, and most suburbanites don't.  And it's really embarrassing when you can't do it, because you're out there in public with traffic and people around.  Even worse if your spouse/significant other is in the car with you.  So it must be unnerving to those people whenever a proposal to build on a surface lot comes up.

Yes, somebody finally says what we all know.   :lol:

Archived