BR/NOLA 2023 Pan American Games

timelordnerd

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand what your saying. The benefits really would be the transportation and further development, for this to happen the people must want it to happen. I think we are reaching a point where people will want to see these events here, and when that happens were ready for it. 

I'm not sure we could support all the facilities after. Also, Baton Rouge is a pretty close-minded place, most people aren't ready for something like that. If Death Valley and Skip Bertman Field are full and the crawfish plentiful, they are happy.

I'm not sure we could support all the facilities after. Also, Baton Rouge is a pretty close-minded place, most people aren't ready for something like that. If Death Valley and Skip Bertman Field are full and the crawfish plentiful, they are happy.

Many of the facilities would be temporary, or all ready exist. The plan I have in mind is New Orleans serves as the main host (and we use the venues they have in place to save money) Baton Rouge would use the games to grow a bit and establish a stronger transportation network. Below are images of the various disciplines that would be held in each city. The main reason I think we don't see the excitement necessary to bid, is because many people do not know the benefits or the fact that both cities could host a top-notch games together. Both cities are very sports oriented and hosting the Pan-Am's is a step up. 

- never mind I can't upload the pics, tinypic is being a jerk.

They won't support it because there's only about 800,000 people in the target area that's already packed with college athletic entertainment options and limited demand for for housing .....their state of mind has nothing to do with it.

If you consider it to be close minded to reject the construction of expensive public projects that would be far beyond the scale to meet the local demand and realize about three weeks of realistic use, then you've got a pretty twisted world view.

It costs $20 billion for London to host the Olympic Games. Suppose that's an affordable figure.....you still have to figure out how to use and maintain the housing and massive infrastructure.

http://m.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/07/3-reasons-why-hosting-the-olympics-is-a-losers-game/260111/

The reason this idea isn't the worst I've heard is because the risks would split between two cities- both of which are too small to handle the games on their own.

They won't support it because there's only about 800,000 people in the target area that's already packed with college athletic entertainment options and limited demand for for housing .....their state of mind has nothing to do with it.

If you consider it to be close minded to reject the construction of expensive public projects that would be far beyond the scale to meet the local demand and realize about three weeks of realistic use, then you've got a pretty twisted world view.

It costs $20 billion for London to host the Olympic Games. Suppose that's an affordable figure.....you still have to figure out how to use and maintain the housing and massive infrastructure.

http://m.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/07/3-reasons-why-hosting-the-olympics-is-a-losers-game/260111/

The reason this idea isn't the worst I've heard is because the risks would split between two cities- both of which are too small to handle the games on their own.

You also must look at HOW London spent that ridiculous amount. It's easy to say that London spent $20 billion on the Olympics or Sochi $60 billion, but when you look at how they spent it in ways it makes sense. Another thing to keep in mind is that those were OLYMPICS, a Pan American Games is half the size. For Baton Rouge many venues would be temporary which means they are taken down or sold after the games and do not stay. In their place are new parks and canals that surround the permanent venues. Out of all the venues in Baton Rouge (specifically) only two permanent venues will be built. New Orleans will have a few more only because they are the title city. I guess my point is that this event is highly sustainable and the legacy it leaves behind for both cities will allow them to enter the international stage and become more modern cities. 

Lets look at the BENEFITS of hosting these events when planners were smart. Rio (hosted in 2007) showed it could host major sporting events and landed the Olympics two years later. Now the city is experiencing on unprecedented growth and renovation. It has become safer, cleaner, and more recognized. Indianapolis (1987) has also experienced substantial growth making it an important US city. London (2012 Olympics) has experienced the highest numbers of tourist recorded post games, by 2016 the Olympic Park will become a hub for British culture and living in East London, in fact East London is one of the fastest growing 'cities' in England. Sydney also experinced growth after the 2000 games and now their Olympic Park is in the heart of a booming residential district in Sydney. Even Atlanta had a pretty strong legacy post games due to the revitalization of the downtown.

Cities who plan the games correctly will experince growth, and I'm sure that Toronto 2015 will have a similar positive legacy.  

Woah woah Cajun. I'm no more supportive than you about this, but I like the idea.

You also must look at HOW London spent that ridiculous amount. It's easy to say that London spent $20 billion on the Olympics or Sochi $60 billion, but when you look at how they spent it in ways it makes sense. Another thing to keep in mind is that those were OLYMPICS, a Pan American Games is half the size. For Baton Rouge many venues would be temporary which means they are taken down or sold after the games and do not stay. In their place are new parks and canals that surround the permanent venues. Out of all the venues in Baton Rouge (specifically) only two permanent venues will be built. New Orleans will have a few more only because they are the title city. I guess my point is that this event is highly sustainable and the legacy it leaves behind for both cities will allow them to enter the international stage and become more modern cities.

Lets look at the BENEFITS of hosting these events when planners were smart. Rio (hosted in 2007) showed it could host major sporting events and landed the Olympics two years later. Now the city is experiencing on unprecedented growth and renovation. It has become safer, cleaner, and more recognized. Indianapolis (1987) has also experienced substantial growth making it an important US city. London (2012 Olympics) has experienced the highest numbers of tourist recorded post games, by 2016 the Olympic Park will become a hub for British culture and living in East London, in fact East London is one of the fastest growing 'cities' in England. Sydney also experinced growth after the 2000 games and now their Olympic Park is in the heart of a booming residential district in Sydney. Even Atlanta had a pretty strong legacy post games due to the revitalization of the downtown.

Cities who plan the games correctly will experince growth, and I'm sure that Toronto 2015 will have a similar positive legacy.

lol. You can do all the planning you want but that doesn't make you a city on par with Sydney, or Toronto, or London.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I am very proud to unveil the new logo for the NOLA bid! The logo was designed by a Montana teen and recently finalized. The logo's shape is meant to reflect the shape of a ball, which represents the sport. The river shown in the center of the ball represents Lake Pontchartrain and the Mississippi River. Finally the red stripe represents Baton Rouge, while the green is symbolic of Louisiana culture.

10cixkl.png

Thanks. Thanks to some national and international readers here, the plans were revealed on Olympic and Int. Sport bidding site Games bids and the response has been very positive. Many have said that they would be very excited to see these games come to this area. Some have even predicted that if we did officially bid, we would win with-out a doubt. My favorite comment however was this one: "I must admit that New Orleans looks exciting for all its Cajun and French, African and Caribbean, Southern US and Native American mix of cultures that the 2023 would be special and unforgettable." Maybe our motto should be, "Unforgetable. Inspirational. Passion" ;)

Archived