Google Fiber coming to Charlotte?

HopHead

Here's a list/map of potential fiber hut locations for Google on charmeck.org

(It's an 18.6MB pdf file.  Took about 10 seconds to download with TWC for me.  With Google Fiber, it will take less than a second...)

I'm all for using bits of city land.  Partial biased as I live within half a mile of one of the potential locations.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Triangle Business Journal has an interesting story on what kind of settings Google has put its regional fiber headquarters offices. The office has an administrative function plus it sounds like they offers classes and product information as well. Since they have picked urban sites in their other cities it sounds like Google may spark some nice urban activity.

My first choice spot might be here: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.223138,-80.842087,3a,75y,149.57h,81.15t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1srOQCvkqNjpotLj4eamUHhg!2e0?hl=en

There are probably some nice spots in the Gold District as well.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blog/techflash/2015/03/google-fiber-raleigh-durham-chapel-hill-nc-hq.html?ana=e_du_pap&s=article_du&ed=2015-03-31&u=jDmEk+CKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1427847505&page=all

• 3 months later...

Just got an email from AT&T offering gigabit internet plus a very decent TV package (incl HBO and HD) for $120 a month (with a one year commit, three year price guarantee). That looks to be about $10 less than Google's similar package in Kansas City. Its also about $60 less than I am currently paying for my uverse with much slower internet. I haven't called for installation yet but the web site says its available in my hood now -- I don't think Google has given any availability dates yet). They do have a footnote about useage caps (1tb with $10 for each additional 50gb) that makes me nervous (my 14 year old can really burn through some streaming video).

Overall I think I am really going to like competing fiber providers!

Meanwhile the free upgrade to TWC Maxx has been delayed due to slow adoption of digital boxes for people STILL using analog sets.  Apparently there was only a 70% adoption rate and, instead of cutting the analog bands completely off like they warned for MONTHS, the new idea is for them to slowly reduce the number of analog channels available until people get the point.  I'm disappointed by this as TWC gave more than enough warning for people to go pick up their digital box.  I don't see why people wouldn't want them, they give you more channels for free.  Ugh.  Was hoping for a good boost in speed until Google Fiber is ready.

That said, I'm super pumped that one of the fiber huts is being built about half a mile from my house.  Haven't driven by to see if there is any site work yet though.

Edited by AuLukey
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Google will provide free Internet to residents in select public and affordable housing properties across the country.

The program is launching in every current and future Google Fiber market, costing $0 a month with no installation fee, the Web giant said. At this point, Google Fiber is available in the Kansas City area; Austin, Texas; and Provo, Utah but Google plans to soon expand it to Atlanta; Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham, N.C; Nashville, Tenn.; Salt Lake City; Phoenix, Portland, Ore., San Antonio; and San Jose, Calif.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2487694,00.asp

Great news for connecting all citizens, regardless of income, to the internet.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Google is wiring my building in Plaza Midwood today.

They installers told us that we are the very first commercial building they're wiring in Charlotte. Also said they're running about 5 months behind schedule because of all the rain we've had recently.

So one month of rain has put them behind 5 months?!?!  Did they forget we were in a drought all summer before that? Hahaha. 

• 2 months later...

Lots of fiber being installed across the border in Concord as well. I have no idea if it is AT&T or Google. Google has stated they only have plans to offer service in Charlotte city proper and not for the rest of the county or surrounding areas. This leads me to believe that AT&T is jumping on the chance to snag eager customers wanting to switch to fiber away from crappy TWC before Google has a chance to expand outwards.

It does seem a little odd to me that Google ISN'T expanding outside of Charlotte city proper though. They're expanding outside of city limits in Raleigh and Atlanta so why not here?

12 hours ago, Neo said:

Lots of fiber being installed across the border in Concord as well. I have no idea if it is AT&T or Google. Google has stated they only have plans to offer service in Charlotte city proper and not for the rest of the county or surrounding areas. This leads me to believe that AT&T is jumping on the chance to snag eager customers wanting to switch to fiber away from crappy TWC before Google has a chance to expand outwards.

It does seem a little odd to me that Google ISN'T expanding outside of Charlotte city proper though. They're expanding outside of city limits in Raleigh and Atlanta so why not here?

I've wondered the exact same thing.

The map on their work area really made me sad.  There is major line burying project going on in Wessex Square which is just across the street from our neighborhood...but I guess that is just AT&T :-(  

I so need get ride of my craptastic TWC 50mb connection that slows to a crawl in the evening. 

I did read however that Google was looking to add a hut at Olde Providence Elementary. Don't know if that got approved yet. That area had a glaring hole in it when you mapped out all the other fiber huts. 

14 hours ago, jednc said:

I've wondered the exact same thing.

If I recall from looking at the maps, they're trying in all city regions to supply 800,000-1,000,000 people.

City of Atlanta and City of Raleigh both have much smaller populations and smaller geographic footprints than City of Charlotte.

If not this, I can't explain it, either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silicon Dogwoods said:

If I recall from looking at the maps, they're trying in all city regions to supply 800,000-1,000,000 people.

City of Atlanta and City of Raleigh both have much smaller populations and smaller geographic footprints than City of Charlotte.

If not this, I can't explain it, either.

That certainly makes sense...I just am hoping that in the not-to-distant-future I'll be able to get it in Cornelius/Huntersville. I'm jealous!