Google Fiber coming to Charlotte?

HopHead

• 1 month later...

I live in Catalyst and received this email today:

Hello residents,

Starting on March 21st Google will be sending technicians out to begin installing the infrastructure for the inevitable roll out of Google Fiber. The installation period should last for approximately 15 days and they will need 2 hours in each apartment. I'm sure many people would like to know when the service will be available and our best indication is sometime late spring or summer, but we have yet to receive any definitive date. Before the installation begins there will be a reminder hang tag placed on the doors of the apartments about to be worked on. We will also send out daily updates to keep everybody aware of the timing of their installation. They will require that the master bedroom closet be cleaned out for the installation. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to let us know. 

2 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

"Circa Uptown has Google fiber up and running" lol

yea, I saw that, I just wanted to check if it was a typo. I didn't think Google had lit any fiber in Charlotte yet.

This is a big deal. Very exciting.

20 minutes ago, kermit said:

yea, I saw that, I just wanted to check if it was a typo. I didn't think Google had lit any fiber in Charlotte yet.

This is a big deal. Very exciting.

hahaha sorry, wasn't sure if you just read over it, happens all the time. I didn't think so either but yup, they are the first building in the entire city that has up and running Google Fiber. It is just the internet though, they advertise to use AT&T for cable.

• 1 month later...

^ its essentially the same pricing as gigabit from AT&T.

There is an increasing amount of talk that stringing fiber has been more difficult than Google had anticipated (largely due to issues related to accessing poles) so the slight price bump over their initial estimates is not a big surprise. 

Will Google Fiber also be supplying high speed wifi throughout Uptown?  I have AT&T now, and they have SOME spots where you can login using your account, but those are few and far between.  I would prefer connectivity all over the city.  If so, would it also be account style login (preferred) like TWC or free public use?  

On 4/27/2016 at 1:36 PM, kermit said:

^ its essentially the same pricing as gigabit from AT&T.

There is an increasing amount of talk that stringing fiber has been more difficult than Google had anticipated (largely due to issues related to accessing poles) so the slight price bump over their initial estimates is not a big surprise. 

Southpark has a ton of rear easment. Don't know why duke didn't bury the lines, but whatever works. Cheaper power not burying the lines. Either pay extra for internet or power i suppose. 

• 1 month later...

Other than Google's normal webpage/social media venues, is there a way we can stay updated on the rollout of GF? I signed up last summer and got a nifty black T-SHirt, but have had zero communication from them since.

I know they are running into issues laying the fiber optic lines, by my patience is running thin with TWC.

Here are my latest numbers from Ookla...

5398683722.png

btw...I am paying for the TWC Ultimate 100 plan and rarely do I ever get speed tests over 30mpbs. (yes, I run tests with direct connect bypassing the router but even with router it only shows a 3% degradation)

When I asked TWC customer service why they are throttling my speeds they are on record stating they do not throttle:tw_angry: so my next response was. "So when can I expect to see an 80% credit on my bill when I'm only getting 20% of service?  

Needless to say they had no reply and are not in the business of issuing credits laying blame to heavy internet traffic, time of day, e.t.c....REALLY!!

"I WANT MY MTV"   (no make that Google Fiber)    yes, please!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, UPNoDa said:

Other than Google's normal webpage/social media venues, is there a way we can stay updated on the rollout of GF? I signed up last summer and got a nifty black T-SHirt, but have had zero communication from them since.

I know they are running into issues laying the fiber optic lines, by my patience is running thin with TWC.

Here are my latest numbers from Ookla...

5398683722.png

btw...I am paying for the TWC Ultimate 100 plan and rarely do I ever get speed tests over 30mpbs. (yes, I run tests with direct connect bypassing the router but even with router it only shows a 3% degradation)

When I asked TWC customer service why they are throttling my speeds they are on record stating they do not throttle:tw_angry: so my next response was. "So when can I expect to see an 80% credit on my bill when I'm only getting 20% of service?  

Needless to say they had no reply and are not in the business of issuing credits laying blame to heavy internet traffic, time of day, e.t.c....REALLY!!

"I WANT MY MTV"   (no make that Google Fiber)    yes, please!!

Make the switch to AT&T gigapower. It's not perfect and I certainly don't get 1GBPS over wifi. But I avg around 600 mbps and that's just fine 

Sounds good, Jayvee but according to their website, gigapower is not available in NoDa yet. We can only get the U-Verse Power plan which is $60 month for only 45mbps with a 600GB allowance. I don't use more than 200gb per month as a light user and this would definitely fill the void until GF gets here but I would be curios to see what the actual speeds are from any of my neighbors that have this plan. (may have to reach out on NextDoor NoDa)

Too bad AT&T can't come out and do a real world in-house demo prior to the customer signing off on a yearly contract.

AT&T first has to deal with all the screw ups that Google is saddling them with...  Damages of $300M so far as I was told..

To all

Google contractors were in the process of placing new cables for their upcoming services.  In the process they damaged several very large cables that were 27 feet deep.  Due to depth of the damaged cables it has been ruled unsafe for our works to repair.  We have decided to replace the section of cable and re-splice in the manholes on Woodlawn Rd.  Please note that AT&T and its contractors are working around the clock to restore service. 

Our contractors have placed new conduit to be able to pull the new cables (4) back through.  Woodlawn road was cut in 2 places to allow entrance into the manholes where the cable will be spliced.  That contractor work was completed on Saturday.

The cable are now being be pulled through by AT&T employees (729 feet).  We will then have set splices up in the an holes to allow cables to be cut around.  The work will have to be completed in the evening hours due to location and restrictions by the State of NC.  I would anticipate that services for some customers would start coming up by late Tuesday night early Wed. morning.

This outage has to potential to effect over 8,000 customers. 

Best ETR I can provide to be complete is Friday 6/17.  Although some services will be restored before that as the repair is taking place.

AT&T would like to apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused the customer.  Please know that we are working around the clock to restore services.

T.... K...
Network Manager
At&t Charlotte NC

“I CAN HELP YOU WITH THAT”

• 2 weeks later...

Word from a project manager for google's primary installation contractor is that they are currently a full year behind schedule in Charlotte. The delay is primarily a product of equipment shortages (mostly the cable boring machines) which will be made worse by google rolling out more fiber cities shortly. This person believes that google fiber in Charlotte will be two years later than google originally planned.

38 minutes ago, kermit said:

Word from a project manager for google's primary installation contractor is that they are currently a full year behind schedule in Charlotte. The delay is primarily a product of equipment shortages (mostly the cable boring machines) which will be made worse by google rolling out more fiber cities shortly. This person believes that google fiber in Charlotte will be two years later than google originally planned.

They screwed up my parents sprinkler system, tried to fix it, made it inoperable. 

Not to mention the 5-10 natural gas lines they're hitting a day. PNG has had digging crews running around trying to fix what Google is screwing up. Not sure how true it is but I've heard the fines incurred from hitting the gas lines have put a couple contractors for Google under. And AT&T is following right after and is boring right where Google just finished. 

14 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

They screwed up my parents sprinkler system, tried to fix it, made it inoperable. 

"They" meaning a company contracted to put in the fiber?

10 hours ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

Not to mention the 5-10 natural gas lines they're hitting a day. PNG has had digging crews running around trying to fix what Google is screwing up. Not sure how true it is but I've heard the fines incurred from hitting the gas lines have put a couple contractors for Google under. And AT&T is following right after and is boring right where Google just finished. 

No one is fixing anything that GOOGLE is screwing up. That's akin to me saying I screwed up my plumbing because a plumber i hired made a mistake. Google contracted with companies that are supposed to know what they are doing. If they screw anything up, I would assume the fines and damages will be paid by them, not Google.

However, I do understand the expressions of frustration. Check that. I "think" I understand. Since I do not currently live in an area that will be getting Google Fiber, I can only wish that I could understand the frustration. I'd go out and cut my utility lines myself if I thought it would result in GF being an option at my house.

Edited by jednc
Thought of more I wanted to say...

On 6/26/2016 at 0:58 PM, jednc said:

No one is fixing anything that GOOGLE is screwing up. That's akin to me saying I screwed up my plumbing because a plumber i hired made a mistake. Google contracted with companies that are supposed to know what they are doing. If they screw anything up, I would assume the fines and damages will be paid by them, not Google.

It may be the contractor's responsibility, but it is Google's accountability.