Google Fiber coming to Charlotte?

HopHead

Yes thought of that yesterday as was getting ready to set everything back up after I pulled the plug on switching!  Decided not to do that though as the old one had TW in the name and I needed Time Warner/Spectrum out of my life completely.  

The process with Google was so easy and the guys were awesome that came to the condo.  Love the web page and app they have for management of everything.  I went with the $50 100/100 to start   They say there is no tax added on so it is a flat $50/month.  Still a little skeptical on that, but we will see when the first bill hits.

There is one limitation that I think people should know about and that is their is a MAX limit on number of Wifi connections to the Google box they give.  It is 16.  This sounds like a lot, but I have 15 already used. Which does NOT include 3 hardwired devices I have (xbox,TV, Apple TV).  I have to assume I'm in the minority with that number of wifi connected devices???  I am a two person household so of the 15 wifi things, my bf and I each have a phone and a laptop.  The rest is all stuff around the house.  This could be a problem as I already have a 16th wifi device on order since well before switching to Google. 

Side note:  Returning the Spectrum equipment I had was excruciating.  Went to the store on South Blvd yesterday to do it and it took 35 min.  Of that time was 33 minutes of waiting to be called to the person at the desk.  They have 12 stations available of which they had 3 people working.  This was at 10:45am on a Friday.   It was a fitting end.  The 20-30 people in the waiting area were a mix of people paying bills and people returning equipment.  All bonding over how much they hate them and EVERYONE has a maddening story they love to talk about.

Edited by navigator319
  • Like 1

Walking on Tremont st this evening at noticed that at South blvd (in front of Big Ben) there were small survey flags (not advertising, these were little construction markers) in the ground that said "Spectrum Fiber."

Did I miss an announcement about a new fiber provider or is this just some marketing hyperbole?

Walking on Tremont st this evening at noticed that at South blvd (in front of Big Ben) there were small survey flags (not advertising, these were little construction markers) in the ground that said "Spectrum Fiber."
Did I miss an announcement about a new fiber provider or is this just some marketing hyperbole?

I think you missed the placement of your sarcastic quotation marks:

Spectrum “Fiber”
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, kermit said:

Spectrum has fiber all over, but currently it's only available to businesses. My org uses TWC/Spectrum fiber and it's fantastic. They currently only offer coax to residential. 

On 1/4/2018 at 10:28 PM, kermit said:

In spectrum's case , it's still copper coming into the home.  It's not FTTH. Don't get the 1G speeds.  

Edited by mpretori

• 1 year later...

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-fibers-secret-weapon-in-its-gigabit-comeback-has-failed/

So, looks like their efforts to utilize "nanotrenching" have failed, but this article specifically mentions Charlotte when they say that fiber construction will continue in current GF cities. 

Edited by sclark
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2019 at 2:06 PM, sclark said:

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-fibers-secret-weapon-in-its-gigabit-comeback-has-failed/

So, looks like their efforts to utilize "nanotrenching" have failed, but this article specifically mentions Charlotte when they say that fiber construction will continue in current GF cities. 

I hope my place gets connected. I have a Google Fiber jack in my house and there's a Google Fiber embarkation point (and disconnected fiber) at the front of my house. Spectrum has been fine. AT&T tried to sell me their service but having been a customer of theirs before, I said "no thanks at nearly any cost other that free." I never thought I would miss BellSouth, AT&T made me miss them (terribly).

• 2 months later...
34 minutes ago, DCtransplant said:

I did see a targeted ad on a website today that said something like "Google Fiber - As certain as downtown is called Uptown". Seems like they're making some sort of reinvestment.

I saw someone today on Stonewall St wearing a Google Fiber t-shirt maybe they are ramping up marketing again

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I saw someone today on Stonewall St wearing a Google Fiber t-shirt maybe they are ramping up marketing again

Lots of people, myself included, got one of those shirts 4 years ago when you put your name on a list saying you were interested in GF. That’s the closest I’ve ever gotten to having access to GF. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, sakami said:

Lots of people, myself included, got one of those shirts 4 years ago when you put your name on a list saying you were interested in GF. That’s the closest I’ve ever gotten to having access to GF. 

I have one too however this is a new version not the same as mine as I got for free. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well this is interesting internet speeds slowing across the country due to the work at home orders.  And Charlotte is slowing significantly.  (I know this is not about Google Fiber per se but I could not find anywhere else to put this)    Just interesting and look at Austin and Winston Salem! 

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2020/03/25/report-internet-speeds-down-20-in-raleigh-22-in-fayetteville-stable-in-durham/

• Thanks 1

I can tell it is slower. I just ran Ookla at 12:00 noon and down from ~150-200 normal to 45-50 Mb/s down. Enough for streaming with some patience.

Story here Re: SD vs HD.  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-24/youtube-to-limit-video-quality-around-the-world-for-a-month

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Couldn't be happier to have unlimited AT&T gigabit fiber. Worth every penny.

Google Fiber was actually running faster today than it was a few weeks ago. Thankful I'm no longer a Spectrum customer.

5 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Couldn't be happier to have unlimited AT&T gigabit fiber. Worth every penny.

Mine is running about 300mbps slower than 'normal' (but still plenty fast at just under 500mbps). 

I agree (its worth it)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

Much to my surprise, Google fiber appears to have expanded a little in Carborro (in September) and Des Moines (in July) using microtrenching (which does not inspire much confidence about its reliability but gigabit competition is a good thing)

https://chapelboro.com/news/development/carrboro-mayor-google-fiber-construction-progressing-in-community

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/07/07/google-fiber-comes-to-a-new-city-after-long-expansion-hiatus/

No evidence of any Charlotte activity since 2016

Edited by kermit