SunRail

sunshine

This is great that Orlando is getting this system. However, I have a few questions? Does the proposed route really serve the actual needs of the people who would use this train? Would the route and trains be attractive enough to make people ditch their cars for public transportation? Does the proposed train go where people really need to go?

The train could be a overwhelming success if it served the major employers, and/or employment centers, in the area. Stops at Millenia, I-Drive, Universal, Sea World, and possibly Disney (doubt they would allow it on property, but I'll add them for the sake of argument) would guarantee a solid base of regular riders.

System planners also shouldn't forget the tourist market. A line from the airport to an I-drive "transportation center" could generate dollars to expand the line even further. Or, do we continue to push for a seperate light rail or monorail to serve this sector?

It would be great if someday we could board a train at Champion Maingate, Reunion, or Celebration and ride to our office in downtown Orlando--hop back on for a lunch meeting in Uptowne Altamonte, and then finally back home again in the evening.

System planners also shouldn't forget the tourist market. A line from the airport to an I-drive "transportation center" could generate dollars to expand the line even further. Or, do we continue to push for a seperate light rail or monorail to serve this sector?

It would be great if someday we could board a train at Champion Maingate, Reunion, or Celebration and ride to our office in downtown Orlando--hop back on for a lunch meeting in Uptowne Altamonte, and then finally back home again in the evening.

The commuter rail which was just approved (unlike light rail) goes where the tracks are. That's why they were able to fund it. No new tracks, just new stations. If you want these locations you need light rail with new track ... it was killed once, maybe it'll come back. But at least we have commuter rail that's a start.

Orlando Sentinel Pictures from today's announcement:

Gov. Jeb Bush (right) talks with Orlando mayor Buddy Dyer during the announcement ceremony for the nearly $491 million deal with CSX that will bring commuter rail to Central Florida.

24690337.jpg

Gov. Jeb Bush (left) talks with Congressman John Mica before the announcement of the nearly $491 million deal with CSX that will bring commuter rail to Central Florida.

24690332.jpg

A proposed route map is displayed as Gov. Jeb Bush announces the nearly $491 million deal with CSX that will bring commuter rail to Central Florida.

24690178.jpg

Gov. Jeb Bush steps off a prototype commuter rail car with CSX CEO Michael Ward and Lynx Executive Director Linda Watson to announce a nearly $491 million deal today with CSX that will bring commuter rail to Central Florida.

24690176.jpg

State senator Lee Constantine (R-Altamonte Springs) talks with Chris Adamik of Orlando (right) while touring a prototype doubledecker commuter rail car after the announcement by Gov. Jeb Bush of a nearly $491 million deal with CSX that will bring commuter rail to Central Florida.

24690152.jpg

Gov. Jeb Bush talks to reporters after announcing a nearly $491 million deal with CSX that will bring commuter rail to Central Florida.

24690150.jpg

Ken Bordner, a CSX rail signal maintenance worker (far right) checks out a prototype doubledecker commuter rail car as guests tour the car.

24690149.jpg

Miriam Lancaster of Orlando gets look at a prototype doubledecker commuter rail car.

24690146.jpg

A CSX freight train chugs through downtown Orlando on Tuesday. Freight trains might move away from downtown under a new deal to bring commuter rail to Central Florida.

24683867.jpg

The commuter rail which was just approved (unlike light rail) goes where the tracks are. That's why they were able to fund it. No new tracks, just new stations. If you want these locations you need light rail with new track ... it was killed once, maybe it'll come back. But at least we have commuter rail that's a start.

Some of those locations in the previous post were also proposed for the high speed rail to connect between OIA, tourist corridor, and then on to Lakeland and Tampa. That got killed, too. I think that may have a better chance of happening once we have more rail in place waiting for it in Orlando. Tampa has some rail in Ybor and I believe more coming in their downtown. Miami has more rail than us already and that is the proposed 2nd leg of the HSR. Maybe in some of our lifetimes our entire state will have rail in the major metro areas and interconnected by high speed rail. That would be real tight. And I think this can only start happening faster as the price of gas continues to rise.

Some of those locations in the previous post were also proposed for the high speed rail to connect between OIA, tourist corridor, and then on to Lakeland and Tampa. That got killed, too. I think that may have a better chance of happening once we have more rail in place waiting for it in Orlando. Tampa has some rail in Ybor and I believe more coming in their downtown. Miami has more rail than us already and that is the proposed 2nd leg of the HSR. Maybe in some of our lifetimes our entire state will have rail in the major metro areas and interconnected by high speed rail. That would be real tight. And I think this can only start happening faster as the price of gas continues to rise.

With gas reaching 3$ a gallon it wouldnt be to difficult to get funding for that... I dont believe... We need something going east to west though... and something from the airport to the attractions.... I think we can get something happening in a few years... Orlando is starting to develop a sense of community.

It's nice to see Jeb smiling about this after he cut the publicly voted for High Speed Rail. Probably trying to look "Presidential" in the I-4 corridor, especially in Democratically voting Orange County. I hope this has a great success rate, let's not blow it! Seems to me all rail projects should be on the top burner at this time, remember, we are supposed to be weaning ourselves off of foreign oil. Let's face it, we probably won't get most of these projects until the last $ is made by Big Oil. But anyways, this is one of the most surprisingly happy days in Orlando's history!! :D

But anyways, this is one of the most surprisingly happy days in Orlando's history!! :D

you're right. today is special. this is so huge. its almost numbing. this town keeps getting nicer and better things. there are ups and downs, though. but this is probably one of the biggest things to happen here period; probably since WDW announced the first park and OIA built their present terminal. this is a milestone event; a transformation and validation event.

I feel like the second phase of the line is almost pointless unless it opens with some other form of rail connecting the Sand Lake station to the airport and the I-Drive attractions area.

I agree. This is obviously the first step. The next most obvious is a cross or X over this route....from airport, then to I drive and ...well, hopefully to both Universal and Disney. Or cover one with light rail :)

The Sanford airport has to be covered by this also, it's starting to get more and more international flights. At least a private shuttle from there to the Sanford station...

there is a lot of people that live down there.... it would be as pointless as the northern section.

I understand that a lot of people live south of Downtown Orlando-- there's no doubt about that. But look at the Orlando Sentinel's descriptions of the second phase's five stations:

-Sand Lake Road. "Mostly industrial yars and fast-food joints; few undeveloped parcels. Not a walkable area conducive to residential development. Planners envision bus connections to Orlando International Airport."

-Meadow Woods. "Large stretches of open area, near some newer developments, an undeveloped recreation area and Cypress Creek High School."

-Osceola Parkway. "Fast-developing stretch of retail that includes Wal-Mart [hooray!], just south of Orange County line. Could attract residential building."

-Kissimee Amtrak. "Older station near downtown Kissimmee by many shops, restaurants. City wants transit center with Lynx buses, Greyhound, Amtrak and commuter rail. Mixed condo-retail planned nearby."

-Poinciana Industrial Park. "Mixed area of light industrial companies and some residential development. Nearby development is short-term rentals; could change to more permanent residences."

As of right now it seems like the only really useful stations would be Sand Lake Road and Kissimee Amtrak...and even those don't sound amazing. Meadow Woods sounds like a wasteland, as does Poinciana Industrial Park. At least the northern branch stops at Florida Hospital and the downtowns of Winter Park, Altamont, Longwood, Lake Mary.

I lived on the south side of town for 16 years and I've never had a reason to go to the areas of where the Meadow Woods, Osceola Parkway, or Poinciana stations will be. However, I have often traveled to the locales north of downtown and south of Lake Mary.

I understand that a lot of people live south of Downtown Orlando-- there's no doubt about that. But look at the Orlando Sentinel's descriptions of the second phase's five stations:

I lived on the south side of town for 16 years and I've never had a reason to go to the areas of where the Meadow Woods, Osceola Parkway, or Poinciana stations will be. However, I have often traveled to the locales north of downtown and south of Lake Mary.

Seemingly pointless now, maybe. But with the explosion expected in Osceola in the coming years, this is quite possily the first time Central Florida has been foward thinking in planning. If the prospect of these two stations does anything to concentrate/urbanize growth around the stations instead of letting all of Osceola rapidly turn into suburban wasteland, then who can ask for anything more? The point of commuter rail isn't for every stop to be a destination. Some of the stops are for the sole purpose of picking up the people to bring to their destinations.

The new CFRail web site is up and there is a wealth of new information and media on it. I implore everybody to check it out, and make sure to watch the 10-minute video-- keep a watchful eye as John Mica commits a federal offense during it. Check out the site at:

CFRail.com

That's just a tad big for a dollar bill. Either that or John Mica is a dwarf and he doesn't look like one to me.