SunRail

sunshine

^^

Agreed about the notion that had they opened up the entire 61 mile or so system initially, that the Poinciana and Kissimmee ridership numbers would have added so much to the total ridership numbers.

Do we know whether the "Phase III" to OIA et al is still on track for 2020?  Because the way I see it, if that happens, and Brightline is also operational, that ridership numbers will increase even more.

But we really do need a line from OIA to the OCCC.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

I posed this question to Sunrail riders the other day.. This is the second attempt I've made on two separate unrelated occasions. He's not good at responding.. 

But here goes:

I assume you  guys have read about US soccer federation teaming up with their Mexican and Canadian counterparts on making a bid for the FIFA World Cup in 2026 and how Orlando has been contacted as one of the host cities. 

Do you guys think that this might provide momentum in building more phases to SUNRAIL? Like the important MCO connection and light rail to the convention center. 

32 minutes ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

I posed this question to Sunrail riders the other day.. This is the second attempt I've made on two separate unrelated occasions. He's not good at responding.. 

But here goes:

I assume you  guys have read about US soccer federation teaming up with their Mexican and Canadian counterparts on making a bid for the FIFA World Cup in 2026 and how Orlando has been contacted as one of the host cities. 

Do you guys think that this might provide momentum in building more phases to SUNRAIL? Like the important MCO connection and light rail to the convention center. 

Good question. Just speculating, but something like an airport line--especially one that's been in planning and could have a stop relatively close to the stadium--would seem fairly easy to accomplish. I'm not sure if other "amenities" in the area (like the convention center, I-Drive, or the parks) would be relevant to the World Cup crowd. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, apparently, the FH South station is not as busy as anticipated because there is so much parking there, that it's almost too convenient for workers who still drive to there in lieu of riding Sunrail.

The DeBary station expanded it's parking lot recently due to good ridership at that station.

True but even if you forget all of the 7-7 and other schedules and just look at FHs employees that work a normal schedule, it's still a major employer (hundreds of employees) with a train station on its campus.    Those numbers for both hospitals are disappointing.  

Until this system expands it is just going to constantly disappoint as far as numbers go.  There are simply too few opportunities for the region at large to use.

If it went from where I live to where I work I'd use it.  If it ran when I played from where I live I'd use it.  It has to be the same for large numbers of people in Central Florida.

I do believe that the Poinciana station will liven these numbers up a fair bit. 

• Like 1

I'm disappointed with Sunrail.. I was thinking that perhaps the Orlando Metro area can fund the extra trains and service while the state continues its share until 2020. As an effort to bump up the ridership. This way it's not as expensive for our Metro area. By the time the state hands off responsibility, the ridership numbers will be more positive and we may have more experience. 

1 hour ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Sanford starting trolley service from Sunrail to the Zoo, Riverwalk, Downtown on Oct 1. I will definitely do this as I love spending Saturdays up there and now I can drink more and not worry about it.

How ya gonna get to the Sunrail station on a Saturday?

There may be an issue with this system in the not so distant future.  Apparently, they got an extension to upgrade to certain safety features at the crossings, which they haven't done yet, and this may jeopardize their standing with the FRA, which impacts insurability or ability to receive federal $$$ or something like that or both.  It ain't good, so, I don't know...

On 8/23/2017 at 0:02 PM, popsiclebrandon said:

Sanford starting trolley service from Sunrail to the Zoo, Riverwalk, Downtown on Oct 1. I will definitely do this as I love spending Saturdays up there and now I can drink more and not worry about it.

That's great news to hear. Maybe in the future they can beef it up into an actual streetcar/light rail. The infrastructure is there, there are still spur tracks going right in Downtown Sanford and another line that goes south and runs along the western side of SFB. They could even build a platform where zoo is, as the entrance of the zoo and its parking lot is up against the main railroad line.

4 hours ago, HankStrong said:

For the life of me I can't figure out why SFB isn't desperately trying to get public transportation out that way.  Seems like a no-brainer, but I don't live up that way, so I'm probably missing a lot of factors.  I see a bunch of rail track on a the Google Map...

Sanford is blessed with an abundance of railroad tracks, abandoned ROW, and undeveloped land where it theoretically run its own streetcar lines and reach most of its destinations. Currently SFB is busy expanding and adding more gates, and I don't think mass transportation is part of that picture - it seems they're focused on getting travelers into rental cars, which is a shame.

I don't remember where I read it, but Sanford should have been the cultural center of Central Florida and not Orlando. Sanford has the marina with an outlet to the Atlantic Ocean, and International airport with railroad tracks that lead along side it. Plus miles and miles of railroad tracks that lead to the marina, downtown, zoo, etc... imagine how different Central Florida would have been if that was the case. Perhaps in some alternate universe. Central Florida will not be exclusively landlocked..

42 minutes ago, shardoon said:

Its behind a paywall, but apparently the Brightline CEO expects construction to start in Orlando next year???

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/08/24/brightline-ceo-construction-to-start-in-orlando.html

hasn't it been "shovel ready" for a little while now? if and when the legal and funding issues are worked out, they're supposed to be able to get right to construction