sunshine

SunRail [Phase 1 Completed]

1 hour ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Sanford starting trolley service from Sunrail to the Zoo, Riverwalk, Downtown on Oct 1. I will definitely do this as I love spending Saturdays up there and now I can drink more and not worry about it.

How ya gonna get to the Sunrail station on a Saturday?

There may be an issue with this system in the not so distant future.  Apparently, they got an extension to upgrade to certain safety features at the crossings, which they haven't done yet, and this may jeopardize their standing with the FRA, which impacts insurability or ability to receive federal $$$ or something like that or both.  It ain't good, so, I don't know...

For the life of me I can't figure out why SFB isn't desperately trying to get public transportation out that way.  Seems like a no-brainer, but I don't live up that way, so I'm probably missing a lot of factors.  I see a bunch of rail track on a the Google Map...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

How ya gonna get to the Sunrail station on a Saturday?

You know totally forgot they don't do weekend service. The article mentioned running the trolley on Sat so I thought it happens. Really dumb.

On 8/23/2017 at 0:02 PM, popsiclebrandon said:

Sanford starting trolley service from Sunrail to the Zoo, Riverwalk, Downtown on Oct 1. I will definitely do this as I love spending Saturdays up there and now I can drink more and not worry about it.

That's great news to hear. Maybe in the future they can beef it up into an actual streetcar/light rail. The infrastructure is there, there are still spur tracks going right in Downtown Sanford and another line that goes south and runs along the western side of SFB. They could even build a platform where zoo is, as the entrance of the zoo and its parking lot is up against the main railroad line.

4 hours ago, HankStrong said:

For the life of me I can't figure out why SFB isn't desperately trying to get public transportation out that way.  Seems like a no-brainer, but I don't live up that way, so I'm probably missing a lot of factors.  I see a bunch of rail track on a the Google Map...

Sanford is blessed with an abundance of railroad tracks, abandoned ROW, and undeveloped land where it theoretically run its own streetcar lines and reach most of its destinations. Currently SFB is busy expanding and adding more gates, and I don't think mass transportation is part of that picture - it seems they're focused on getting travelers into rental cars, which is a shame.

To be clear, I always want to do a Sanford evening / sunday-funday, but just can't justify the uber price and the train station is too far away so it just never happens.  I'd love this if it actually came to be.

• Like 1

I don't remember where I read it, but Sanford should have been the cultural center of Central Florida and not Orlando. Sanford has the marina with an outlet to the Atlantic Ocean, and International airport with railroad tracks that lead along side it. Plus miles and miles of railroad tracks that lead to the marina, downtown, zoo, etc... imagine how different Central Florida would have been if that was the case. Perhaps in some alternate universe. Central Florida will not be exclusively landlocked..

42 minutes ago, shardoon said:

Its behind a paywall, but apparently the Brightline CEO expects construction to start in Orlando next year???

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/08/24/brightline-ceo-construction-to-start-in-orlando.html

hasn't it been "shovel ready" for a little while now? if and when the legal and funding issues are worked out, they're supposed to be able to get right to construction

Doubtful but heard directly from them today that they will have the southern leg running by the end of the year.  We need to hope it goes really well so that the public rally's for its expansion.  Right now, elected officials are only hearing from opposition 

6 hours ago, aent said:

hasn't it been "shovel ready" for a little while now? if and when the legal and funding issues are worked out, they're supposed to be able to get right to construction

God I hope so.  we can't have that intermodal terminal sitting empty, and the Brightline operating should spurn more interest to get the Sunrail connection built, or built quicker.

2 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Doubtful but heard directly from them today that they will have the southern leg running by the end of the year.  We need to hope it goes really well so that the public rally's for its expansion.  Right now, elected officials are only hearing from opposition 

Have you heard any chatter about FRA compliance being an issue?

No - but they wouldn't have mentioned it. It was at a conference where their public relations person was speaking.

• Like 1

Okay, I was just looking at the photos just posted in the Colonial overpass thread and noticed the aerial views or overhead views of the CSX crossing at Colonial.

When Sunrail first opened, the crossing at Central had not yet been improved (like Washington St.) with new  concrete panels in between the tracks and roadway which make for a smooth ride over.  They recently did the one at Central. It's great.  It looks like they just did Colonial as well; I didn't remember Colonial being smooth when driving over before.

I guess the $$$ to do them wasn't available at first?  Or does the City pay for that?

They did multiple intersections about 6 months ago. Magnolia and Highland as well. I rode past the equipment on Magnolia and Highland on the OUT many times as they were working on it. 

• Thanks 1