SunRail

sunshine

1 hour ago, FLheat said:

I was hoping to take it to the Winter Park Farmer's Market, but it doesn't start running until the afternoon :(

Yeah, me too. Combination of WPFM closing really early (1pm, really?!) and the trains running later.

8 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Should be packed for Pride. Good starting day for this.

Really looking forward to that.

• 1 month later...

Watched SunRail unload hoards of people into downtown all day today. Later on, we took it up to Winter Park to grab ice cream and do some shopping. Both our outbound and return trips (Church St <--> Winter Park) had plenty of people riding. It was very active.

Very exciting to see the service being used. Very diverse crowd, lots of people getting on and off at various stations. Wasn't all joy riding, either -- plenty of people using it to get to the bus station for general transit. 

Edited by castorvx
  • Like 3

Took it downtown Saturday night out of Lake Mary ( To Whalburgers of course lol ) and it had a big crowd using it at 7pm. Steve Olsen from the FL DOT was walking around on the trains and looked pleased. I bet they have around 9,000 - 12,000 people using it on Saturday. Lots of people heading to Winter Park and downtown. Those two places definitely taking the train is better than trying to find places to park the car. Hope it keeps going on the weekends. 

• Like 2

3200 is not half bad, it's a little better than what I projected (3,000)

Keep in mind that the Saturday hours are just over half of a typical weekday.

If they ran a few trains earlier (starting at noon, or maybe earlier) then there probably would have been noticeably more riders, to take advantage of earlier events like the Winter Park Farmer's Market and the Lake Eola Fall Fiesta. I wanted to use SunRail to go to both events but just ended up driving, as the earliest southbound train from the closest station to me (Altamonte) wasn't scheduled until almost 2:30, much too late for me.

The Fall Fiesta was from 10am-5pm apparently. I myself was there from about 1-2pm. By the time the first southbound train arrived downtown (according to the schedule, almost 3pm) the event was getting near the end.

Edited by metal93
revision
  • Like 3

I foolishly tried taking the 111 from MCO to the Sandlake Sunrail station again this Monday.  Missed the train again.  As with all previous tries, the Lynx driver had no idea that he was supposed to arrive there before the train left.  I asked before we left if he planned to be there before the 9:45 train left the station and he basically had no idea what I was talking about, just like the previous drivers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Airport expansion, new SunRail stops on way

Some updated on SunRail:

• Airport South Terminal opening 2nd quarter of 2020
  • The South Terminal station is intended to connect the airport to SunRail, a light-rail service to the International Drive area, and the planned Brightline train service to South Florida
  • SunRail expansion (17 miles through Osceola County) set to open early next year
    • Meadow Woods
    • Kissimmee
    • Poinciana
  • Much of the addition will allow a top train speed similar to that in parts of Seminole County: 79 mph
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2017 at 0:48 PM, alex said:
  • The South Terminal station is intended to connect the airport to SunRail, a light-rail service to the International Drive area, and the planned Brightline train service to South Florida

This statement mentions a SunRail connection as well as light rail to I-drive, but doesn't explicitly say the light rail is what is going to connect the airport station to SunRail. Should I assume the light rail service to I-drive is going to hit the Sand Lake Road SunRail stop before continuing on to I-drive?

Looks like the editors of that article got sloppy. From my understaning, the Sunrail airport connector is supposed to be a direct line heading out from Sand Lake and then split off onto a spur line heading towards the airport. The light rail (if it happens) is supposed to be an entirely different entity. That quote from the article is just written in a confusing manner.

1 hour ago, metal93 said:

Looks like the editors of that article got sloppy. From my understaning, the Sunrail airport connector is supposed to be a direct line heading out from Sand Lake and then split off onto a spur line heading towards the airport. The light rail (if it happens) is supposed to be an entirely different entity. That quote from the article is just written in a confusing manner.

Accurate.  Though there is talk of constructing lightrail from airport to I-drive and using it as the Sunrail connection for the airport.  I believe right now, they're weighing the best options between the two.