SunRail

sunshine

From what I understand, the board balked at the cost estimate so OIA connection isn’t moving forward at this time.

The airport connection would be awesome but I’m not sure I see it as the most logical need.   Give me a 441 line first!

22 minutes ago, aleonrivera said:

A dedicated source of funding needs to be established to have everything we want out of Sunrail and Lynx.   :tw_bawling:

I don't think that would help, given the airport is too scared to losing rental car revenue to mass transit. Funding had nothing to do with the reason the airport rejected the maglev line which would have connected the airport to Sunrail, at no taxpayer expense.

7 hours ago, aent said:

I don't think that would help, given the airport is too scared to losing rental car revenue to mass transit. Funding had nothing to do with the reason the airport rejected the maglev line which would have connected the airport to Sunrail, at no taxpayer expense.

That is my question, then why build it if you did not want peopleto use that service for fear of losing the car rental money? something is not adding up

3 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

That is my question, then why build it if you did not want peopleto use that service for fear of losing the car rental money? something is not adding up

i agree. well, I think they are okay with brightline  and were ok with the florida HSR, as users of those systems would likely have needed to rent a car rather then using it to avoid a car rental. They did sign  a lease agreement with brightline.

On 5/12/2018 at 7:02 AM, aleonrivera said:

A dedicated source of funding needs to be established to have everything we want out of Sunrail and Lynx.   :tw_bawling:

In an effort to take mass transit into their own hands, the city of West Hollywood is considering a tax on marijuana to fund a rail line that will finally give Weho access to the metro. It would essentially extend the Crenshaw line north from Culver into Weho and then head east to the Hollywood / Highland red line station.

Its really time for Orlando to start thinking creatively about how it can bring transit solutions to the area.

Despite progress on many things, Orlando actually seems regressive regarding a comprehensive mass transit system. There was more ambition on this front in the 90s than there is now, despite SunRail. I don't hear anything out of our leaders addressing the issue of transit let alone actually putting forth proposals. 

City races for Orlando are done. Bill Sublette was going to make transit a centerpiece of his OC mayoral campaign (as that rare breed, a moderate Republican, it would have given him cred among the majority blue voters in OC) but he dropped out.

Since Jerry Demings is likely to emphasize public safety and conservative Republicans hate transit, unless an OC commission candidate brings it up, we may have to wait until Buddy's reelection.

Truthfully, other than a dedicated funding source for Lynx (which needs to happen first anyway), other transit projects will have to wait until the climate is more friendly in Tallahassee. That could happen this year but all our Transiteers on UP need to get active in gubernatorial/legislative races if you want to see a change.

I cannot understand how they are coming up with this $250mm price tag.  It's only a few miles of existing track that needs to be double-tracked.  Brightline will be extending the line south from the airport train station to the OUC spur for their maintenance yard anyway.  The OUC spur is obviously owned by OUC.  The Mayor is on the OUC board.  Most of the adjacent property along the spur is also owned by OUC and is undeveloped.  This shouldn't be difficult.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, codypet said:

They can't share their spurs unfortunately.

But why not? If you're referring to Brightline, it will share a station and platforms with Trirail in downtown Miami as well as many more miles once Trirail's coastal link is finished.  If you're referring to OUC, they barely use that spur.  The only trains that use it are the occasional cargo with coal.

The issue comes from having Sunrail run full through trains through Brightline's yard while trains are stopped and workers are working around there.  Its a safety issue.  We've seen the layouts of the yard posted on here before and you can see why there'd be a problem.  Sunrail will need to build their own spur.

They'll need their own spur to go around the actual maintenance yard (roughly one mile) but they should be able to share Brightline tracks from there north to the station.  Regarding the OUC spur, I don't see how double tracking that line would cost very much.  It's only about three miles.

Edited by gibby

17 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Just heard Downtown Kissimmee to Downtown Orlando will be shorter than a 30 minute trip.    That’s fantastic!

I theorize that the extension south is going to be the shot in the arm that Sunrail needs.   There's no good way to get from Kissimmee to downtown much less to Longwood.  There's a ton of hospital staff (nurses, cleaning people, etc) that live in BVL and Kissimmee and Meadow Woods that could use the train to get to the hospitals.   Sunrail IS extending their late night hours to accommodate the longer route.  I think Sunrailriders said it was two extra trains at night.   Well there goes the argument that you can't take it to Magic games or have a drink and dinner and make it back home.  I think that's going to boost ridership.  I just wish they'd close those gaps in the middle of the day already.

• Like 4