SunRail

sunshine

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

So, we have Elon Musk's proposal, and Virgin, and HTT wanting to build hyperloop routes? 

Elon isn't making one. He published the original concept and then made it open for anyone to use.  Then these other companies, Virgin being at the forefront, took the concept and are actually attempting to build it.  Elon published it because he didn't have the time to pursue the venture with Tesla, SpaceX, and Boring taking up so much time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

The trainyard being on the north end is the killer to using it for not commuter purposes.  Last train leaves altamonte /maitland/ WP at 830-845 if I don't want to uber home.

Call your elected officials!  FDOT owns the tracks and the trains so the only thing in the way From having more service is more funding

Edited by Jernigan

• sunshine changed the title to SunRail

Interesting article on how mass transit is being killed in many cities by people with a huge financial interest in fossil fuels.

Supporters of transit investments point to research that shows that they reduce traffic, spur economic development and fight global warming by reducing emissions. Americans for Prosperity counters that public transit plans waste taxpayer money on unpopular, outdated technology like trains and buses just as the world is moving toward cleaner, driverless vehicles.

Most American cities do not have the population density to support mass transit, the group says. It also asserts that transit brings unwanted gentrification to some areas, while failing to reach others altogether.

Public transit, Americans for Prosperity says, goes against the liberties that Americans hold dear. “If someone has the freedom to go where they want, do what they want,” Ms. Venable said, “they’re not going to choose public transit.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/19/climate/koch-brothers-public-transit.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytclimate

4 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Interesting article on how mass transit is being killed in many cities by people with a huge financial interest in fossil fuels.

Supporters of transit investments point to research that shows that they reduce traffic, spur economic development and fight global warming by reducing emissions. Americans for Prosperity counters that public transit plans waste taxpayer money on unpopular, outdated technology like trains and buses just as the world is moving toward cleaner, driverless vehicles.

Most American cities do not have the population density to support mass transit, the group says. It also asserts that transit brings unwanted gentrification to some areas, while failing to reach others altogether.

Public transit, Americans for Prosperity says, goes against the liberties that Americans hold dear. “If someone has the freedom to go where they want, do what they want,” Ms. Venable said, “they’re not going to choose public transit.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/19/climate/koch-brothers-public-transit.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytclimate

Let me ask: Does Houston, Dallas, and Denver have rail transit?  Yes.  Are there major fossil fuel interests in those cities?  Yes.  How about NOLA?  They have a streetcar system and major refineries and energy companies there.  Same with LA.  Or are these people pressuring politicians in other cities?  I ask because in most case, large cities have Democrats for mayors; fat chance pressuring them against mass transit development.

Well, I've never heard of that group.  I don't know who they really represent, though.  But they do have a point.  If owning a car gives one the freedom to travel without hindrance, then relying on public transportation as an alternative is much more limiting to the individual.  That's common sense.

I don't know about the gentrification argument; I thought train stations bring more TOD.  They are correct about density though.

IMO, The Times is magnifying the opinion of a small group in an attempt to paint a picture that they reflect the opinions of typecast conservative viewpoints, which we are most all aware. 

So where has mass transit been killed thus far because of this group, or is this The Times sensationalizing... again? 

Nashville, for starters.  Did you read the article?  New Orleans had streetcars before Orlando was named.  Cars didn't even exist.  What does the point about New Orleans even mean?  Do you think having mayors who are Democrats in those cities guarantees that matching federal of state dollars will be available for public transport projects?  You've never heard of what group, the Kochs?  How is having public transportation as an alternative "limiting to the individual"?  How is that common sense?  Would folks in Chicago be able to "travel without hindrance" using their cars if all of the City's public transportation infrastructure vanished tomorrow?

Construction is expected to start this summer on a 289-unit luxury apartment complex near the Sunrail station in DeBary. This is the first stage of the $180 million DeBary Town Center which will also include a senior living facility, stores, eateries and at least one small grocery store. Additional pedestrian trails and manmade lakes would also be part of the development.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gibby said:

Nashville, for starters.  Did you read the article?  New Orleans had streetcars before Orlando was named.  Cars didn't even exist.  What does the point about New Orleans even mean?  Do you think having mayors who are Democrats in those cities guarantees that matching federal of state dollars will be available for public transport projects?  You've never heard of what group, the Kochs?  How is having public transportation as an alternative "limiting to the individual"?  How is that common sense?  Would folks in Chicago be able to "travel without hindrance" using their cars if all of the City's public transportation infrastructure vanished tomorrow?

...and New Orleans still does have streetcars and they are a major fossil fuel industrial city/region which should be influenced by anti- mass transit fossil fuel types per the article.  I guess that was my point?  

Can I drive to gainesville to see a game? yes.  And can I take my car and go all over town and in the outlying areas to my heart's content with that same car?  Yes.  Could I do that without a car? No.  That's what's common sense.  No one ever said having public transportation as an alternative with both coexisting was limiting. 

But another argument could be that in spending $$$ on a rail route within Miami's city limits means you forego extending the TNPK south past Homestead (hence the TNPK Extension), then that is a bad trade off (one over the other).

New York is a better example than Chicago.  People still heavily commute by car in Chicago regardless of how extensive Metra seems to be.  And downtown Chicago is bumper to bumper with cars (as is Manhattan) regardless of the El Train, which is not as extensive as many believe it to be.  I wonder what the percentage of train riders is vs car drivers; it's can't be more than 10%.

2 hours ago, orange87 said:

Construction is expected to start this summer on a 289-unit luxury apartment complex near the Sunrail station in DeBary. This is the first stage of the $180 million DeBary Town Center which will also include a senior living facility, stores, eateries and at least one small grocery store. Additional pedestrian trails and manmade lakes would also be part of the development.

I don’t think it made it into this thread but Altamonte Springs is looking to sell off their city hall and municipal complex adjacent to their train station to a developer interested in meeting their criteria for a mixed use proposal.   

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

I don’t think it made it into this thread but Altamonte Springs is looking to sell off their city hall and municipal complex adjacent to their train station to a developer interested in meeting their criteria for a mixed use proposal.   

Where did you hear that?  I can see selling off some of the facilities on Ronald Reagan but the Municpal Complex on Newburyport isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

Well, I don't think we can move this to the Brightline thread just yet b/c they're putting it up for "bid", wink, wink.  But I think that's where it should go.

That said, I bet this was in the plan for a while and they kept the announcement under wraps until Scott needed it to shut Nelson up about rejecting the Obama HSR money.

Also, they may revive the former potential route alignment they had before with a potential 528 alignment taking it to OCCC then WDW then  Downtown Tampa.

This is probably the moment that Sunrail has been waiting for, a spur will be involved without a doubt where Sunrail and Brightline can use. Sunrail can use it to connect to MCO and Brightline to travel towards I 4 . Subsequently since International drive runs along the interstate it can also connect international with MCO and downtown Orlando.

4 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

I hope this materializes, BUT this is not HSR. IMO 80 miles and hour in quite slow...at that speed, DT Tampa to MCO would take about an hour! Oh well, i'll take it for now

The train is set to operate at 125mph between Cocoa and Orlando, and that should be the minimum for Tampa to Orlando as well. New tracks are not being laid that don't comply to higher speed standards.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aent said:

The train is set to operate at 125mph between Cocoa and Orlando, and that should be the minimum for Tampa to Orlando as well. New tracks are not being laid that don't comply to higher speed standards.

This.

There are no 80mph tracks being laid on new paths.  Only *higher* speed rail.  It's not high speed, but higher.