SunRail

sunshine

I have a coworker who lives in Poincianna and she was one of the first 50 on the 6:15 train.  She said it was pleasant with no major hiccups.  She said there were about 20 people  on her train in Poincianna, noone getting on in Downtown Kissimmee, another 20 or so at Tupperware, and then the train flooded with people at Meadow Woods.  There was an article in the Sentinel that mentioned Meadow Woods being busy and then it dawned on me, not only are you getting the Hunter's Creek and Landstar Crowd, but Meadow Woods might also be getting the Lake Nona crowd.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, codypet said:

I have a coworker who lives in Poincianna and she was one of the first 50 on the 6:15 train.  She said it was pleasant with no major hiccups.  She said there were about 20 people  on her train in Poincianna, noone getting on in Downtown Kissimmee, another 20 or so at Tupperware, and then the train flooded with people at Meadow Woods.  There was an article in the Sentinel that mentioned Meadow Woods being busy and then it dawned on me, not only are you getting the Hunter's Creek and Landstar Crowd, but Meadow Woods might also be getting the Lake Nona crowd.

That Tupperware station is adjacent to Walmart...literally.  They should probably really develop adjacent to that Walmart.  I know about the new hospital around the corner, but that Crosslands SC that Tupperware built is just too far to be considered TOD.  I'm very curious to see the rate of development of the TOD on these south stations (other than downtown Kissimmee).

The funny thing about being next to that Walmart is that the path to the station from Walmart is unfortunately behind a wall of stores.  I feel like expanding the lot to the north could do a lot to make a gateway into that Walmart Plaza.  (Walmart is to the right of Booty Liquors.  Wait? Is that really the name?)

image.png.277674f5b767c3bfbdb9964d7180d150.png

• Haha 1

I don't if your being a troll or you are misinformed but ridership jumped by 

17 hours ago, leondecollao said:

Incredible how little fanfare there is to this sun rail expansion. Can’t blame them though, they are probably better off flying under the radar and sticking to low expectations.

about 2800 to more then 6300.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe it provides a positive argument that if expanded correctly ridership will indeed rise. While I indeed support sunrail to Eustis, Deland, St. Cloud, and Clermont ; Sunrail needs to first go to higher ridership destinations. MCO and it's 46 million visitors or UCF and it's 64000 millenials or International Drive and the attractions and their 70 million tourists.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

I don't if your being a troll or you are misinformed but ridership jumped by 

about 2800 to more then 6300.

you've got to be kidding me!  that's incredible!

I don't think he was being a troll.  I just did a search on the internet and can't find anything on ridership numbers the past few days.  Do you have a link?

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, orange87 said:

So what do you guys think? Will this help Sunrail stay afloat? Also, what's going on with the northern expansion?

Yes it will. The southern expansion was key. SunRail acted like a Hybrid Bus on wheels only being in Orange and Seminole Counties. If We can just get that further north Volusia expansion underway we're golden.

• Like 2

1. I've said (along with many others) that the South expansion was going to be a MASSIVE factor.

2. I saw 3 people I know in that Kissimmee video. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

IF SunRail goes where the people go, it will be a success.  We needed Phase I to get any other phases.  I understand that, but we need MORE.  We need it to go to MCO.  We need it to go to SFB.  We need it to go to DeLand.  We need it to go to the Villages (and all that out that way).  We need it to go to UCF.  We need it to go to many places.  I hate to steal from Kevin Costner, but if you build it, they will come.

12 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

1. I've said (along with many others) that the South expansion was going to be a MASSIVE factor.

2. I saw 3 people I know in that Kissimmee video. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

IF SunRail goes where the people go, it will be a success.  We needed Phase I to get any other phases.  I understand that, but we need MORE.  We need it to go to MCO.  We need it to go to SFB.  We need it to go to DeLand.  We need it to go to the Villages (and all that out that way).  We need it to go to UCF.  We need it to go to many places.  I hate to steal from Kevin Costner, but if you build it, they will come.

If they build a rail line that connects the airport, Sand Lake ROad Station , and International Drive, those numbers will increase even more.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

How do you go to UCF?  408 easement?  Rails to Trails killed the old train lines 20 years ago going out to Oviedo.

For SFB, you can probably link the CSX line near General Hutchinson Pkwy & Ronald Reagan, go east, cross 17-92, follow the road a little ways longer to 419 where a rail line is currently at.  It's a total of 2 miles.  Then, that rail line heads north right to airport property on it's west side.  They would have to improve that rail line though.

If the sunrail could serve the tourist areas it will also serve the locals that work there. A rail that serves the airport, i-drive/convention center and lake buena vista would make too much sense.  

Reducing the amount of rental cars on the road will save lives.

Edited by Kaz

5 hours ago, jrs2 said:

How do you go to UCF?  408 easement?  Rails to Trails killed the old train lines 20 years ago going out to Oviedo.

For SFB, you can probably link the CSX line near General Hutchinson Pkwy & Ronald Reagan, go east, cross 17-92, follow the road a little ways longer to 419 where a rail line is currently at.  It's a total of 2 miles.  Then, that rail line heads north right to airport property on it's west side.  They would have to improve that rail line though.

How to go to UCF?

Convert Anderson/Lake Underhill to a one-way.  Use the rest of the space for rails. 

Have stops at Milk District, Crystal Lake Rd., Gaston Foster/Lake Underhill Park, Semoran/Azalea Park, Florida Hospital East, Econ, Rouse/Lockheed Martin - East, Alafaya. 

At Alafaya, go north with stops at Waterford, 50, UCF Research Park, UCF, up through Oviedo (if wanted). 

This route would attract a TON of riders.  It would hit every major employment center on the eastside. 

If wanted, a transfer station could be placed at Alafaya.  One route could go to UCF, and another route going to Stoneybrook East, Avalon Park, and to the airport along Innovation.   The airport!!! 

• Like 2