sunshine

SunRail

3 hours ago, AmIReal said:

SunRail at 5: Ridership for commuter train is growing, but will it ever run to DeLand? A very god article posted in the Daytona N-J.

"SunRail in the current fiscal year has already topped a record 1 million riders and projects to a 78-percent increase over 2018..." 

"DeBary was part of the first phase and has proven to be SunRail’s third-busiest station in the first five years. Only two downtown Orlando stations, Lynx Central and Church Street, have had more passengers."

"The DeBary SunRail station hasn’t generated new transit-oriented development as rapidly as some of the other stations, but a major piece is now coming out of the ground. The Integra Land Company is developing Integra 289 Exchange, a complex featuring 289 one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments, a clubhouse, resort-style swimming pool and walking trail on a 17-acre site between the train station and Gemini Springs Park. The apartments are projected to be completed by late summer 2020. The Junction, another planned development near the station, will bring homes, commercial development and a grocery store to the corner of U.S. 17-92 and Dirksen Drive, while Rivington, a 700-home development within a half-mile west of the SunRail station, is moving closer to turning dirt, said DeBary Mayor Karen Chasez. Without a SunRail station, DeLand remains without new development, in contrast to the three new stations in Osceola County." where "In all, within a half-mile of the SunRail stop, there is already $412 million in new investment creating 775 permanent jobs."

Regardless, "Volusia County... isn’t pushing for a solution to the missing DeLand funding."

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20190525/sunrail-at-5-ridership-for-commuter-train-is-growing-but-will-it-ever-run-to-deland

I am cross posting this in the "Orlando Extended Metro developments Volusia/Brevard/east Polk" thread.

I thought Volousia, at some point, wanted to extend it to the  beach, to try to push itself to become Orlando's beach? Is that completely dead now?

• Like 1

I don’t think any significant studies have been done on anything further than Deland.   As far as Deland, it was one-upped by the claims of urgency to get it to the airport and now it looks like political will is looking towards Polk.   I agree that’s better but Volusia has a right to be upset and want nothing to do with the train.

• Like 1

Spoke with Congressman Mica some years back and he said the reason Deland was not able to get their train station was because they dragged their feet. Something about getting signatures in by a certain drop dead day and they submitted these signatures the following day. This article just confirmed his story.  The story reads that their was always ambiguity from Volusia County. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, aent said:

I thought Volousia, at some point, wanted to extend it to the  beach, to try to push itself to become Orlando's beach? Is that completely dead now?

I’ve never heard that theory.

That being said, I do often wonder why the Volusia and Brevard beaches seemingly dwindle in their status quo (while in close proximity to Orlando) whereas other beaches in the state continue to invest in themselves.

About 3 years back I  was delivering  mail to him when I decided to pick his brain. I thanked and congratulated him for Sunrail. We started talking about Volusia County since at the time I lived in Orange City. He sighed and shook his head about them. Then he told me the story of how certain politicians, without naming ppl, waffled and dragged their feet. They were indecisive. I found it curious how they feel like the red headed stepchild but in reality it’s their own doing. It seems like the Deland city officials are very much on board while the Volusia County officials were the ones that put them in todays predicament. At the time Ron DeSantis was their representative and I’m sure he had something to with this. It was not a secret that he didn’t want Sunrail. 

Edited by Urban Mail Carrier
  • Like 2

I understand there’s plenty of blame to go around.  Volusia/FDOT was set to go after a TIGER grant for Deland and everyone decided to rally around the US192 BRT project and told Volusia to be a team player and not submit a competing grant application.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

I understand there’s plenty of blame to go around.  Volusia/FDOT was set to go after a TIGER grant for Deland and everyone decided to rally around the US192 BRT project and told Volusia to be a team player and not submit a competing grant application.

Hey I don’t know. But that county seems behind on everything. I lived there for some 6 yrs and I could see the contrasts. It seems like they relunctly go along with the other 4 counties because they see that they are falling behind, but not because they want to. Sunrail being a prime example.

• Like 1

If I ruled the world, West Volusia would be Seminole County and east Polk would be Osceola.  And Lake would be a part of LYNX.   Would solve a lot of interlocal issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jernigan said:

If I ruled the world, West Volusia would be Seminole County and east Polk would be Osceola.  And Lake would be a part of LYNX.   Would solve a lot of interlocal issues.

Lake  definitely needs to be part of LYNX, the money they spend on running their own system is more than Osceloa and Seminole's contribution to LYNX, so likely they would save money by joining and have a much better system as well. I made this comment at a county commissioner meeting one time and one commissioner said he was more interested in disbanding LakeXpress and subsidizing Uber instead -_-. I think Commuter Rail would be great to Lake too, Mount Dora would be a big tourist attraction. Also in regards to the comment you made about US192 BRT, was a grant ever submitted for that project, because I haven't seen anything about it in a while, It would be a great project for that corridor.

On 5/26/2019 at 10:15 PM, Jernigan said:

I don’t think any significant studies have been done on anything further than Deland.   As far as Deland, it was one-upped by the claims of urgency to get it to the airport and now it looks like political will is looking towards Polk.   I agree that’s better but Volusia has a right to be upset and want nothing to do with the train.

One advantage Lakeland has over Deland is it's much bigger and the station is in the heart of downtown, while the Deland station would have been been several miles outside of downtown. I still think Volusia should do it along with a station in Orange City, but there doesn't seem to the political will on Volusia's behalf. The Debary station still has the 4th highest ridership after Church Street, LynxCentral and Winter Park and has lots of development planned around the station, so Volusia is definitely benefiting from it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Naqiy90 said:

One advantage Lakeland has over Deland is it's much bigger and the station is in the heart of downtown, while the Deland station would have been been several miles outside of downtown.

I agree.  Getting it extended to Lakeland would be awesome.  There's a big CSX traffic and r/w width issue near downtown Lakeland.  Hopefully, someone will try to get that resolved.

Image result for csx s line lakeland

Allowing CSX to share the new I-4 track from Plant City to Auburndale would be a great solution IMO.

Lakeland is Tampa not Orlando. I suppose that some ppl commute from Lakeland to Orlando, but the majority commute to Tampa. Not to mention politicians from that area fought tooth and nail to reject Sunrail. They very nearly succeeded giving a Death blow.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Here I sit just looking for East/West lines

For sure.

East/West transit in Orlando is basically non-existent. Transit from Winter Garden/Ocoee to UCF is 30 minutes by car or 3 hours with connections at LCS, riding buses that will stop 92 times (not an exaggeration, this is the actual number). Demand isn't there, I'm guessing.  Of course, it never will be as long as transit times are that horrible. Demand doesn't exist because the available options are nonstarters.

If you use transit to go from the west to the east side, you will spend 6 hours a day commuting 30 miles.

Edited by John Hargrove
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, smileguy said:

I don't understand what you mean. Sunrail more or less shadows I-4, which we all know has an East/West alignment! :tw_tounge_wink:

How dumb of me!!  HAHAHAHAHA  I always forget that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, John Hargrove said:

For sure.

East/West transit in Orlando is basically non-existent. Transit from Winter Garden/Ocoee to UCF is 30 minutes by car or 3 hours with connections at LCS, riding buses that will stop 92 times (not an exaggeration, this is the actual number). Demand isn't there, I'm guessing.  Of course, it never will be as long as transit times are that horrible. Demand doesn't exist because the available options are nonstarters.

If you use transit to go from the west to the east side, you will spend 6 hours a day commuting 30 miles.

LYNX approved BRT for SR50 in 2015 but don't have the funding currently, but work on the project is progressing slowly. Presumably if the transit tax was passed it would be the first project to develop, Idk how much shorter the travel time will be, but demand is definitely there, there are 6 LYNX routes along 50 which have high ridership and are always crowded. I traveled from Metrowest to UCF for years and the buses were always jammed packed, I started taking an Uber to the Rosen campus and talking the shuttle to avoid the buses. Although with the UCF Downtown campus opening, there will be express shuttles between the two campuses so maybe LYNX won't be as focused as serving UCF with future plans now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Naqiy90 said:

LYNX approved BRT for SR50 in 2015 but don't have the funding currently, but work on the project is progressing slowly. Presumably if the transit tax was passed it would be the first project to develop, Idk how much shorter the travel time will be, but demand is definitely there, there are 6 LYNX routes along 50 which have high ridership and are always crowded. I traveled from Metrowest to UCF for years and the buses were always jammed packed, I started taking an Uber to the Rosen campus and talking the shuttle to avoid the buses. Although with the UCF Downtown campus opening, there will be express shuttles between the two campuses so maybe LYNX won't be as focused as serving UCF with future plans now.

I didn't know about this. Sounds like a good idea. Do you know of where I can read more about it? Any route plans or anything like that? 

I tried to pull it up on Metroplans site, but the links appear to have been expired and not renewed.+

I did find this priority list with is on there.  If its truly a priority list in order we're gonna be waiting a while.

image.thumb.png.c8fae3300885fcfc7fc62408b9f35494.png

Edited by codypet
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, John Hargrove said:

I didn't know about this. Sounds like a good idea. Do you know of where I can read more about it? Any route plans or anything like that? 

I found a short presentation about it here https://slideplayer.com/slide/4363772/ or you can view the cached expired site http://lynxsr50.com at Wayback Machine. Key details would be 10 minutes peak/15 minute off peak frequency, Transit Signal Priority, off-board ticketing and all door boarding, with the first phase 13 stations between Powers and GoldenRod for initial capital costs of $36M. However it would be in mixed traffic so idk how much of an upgrade it would be, I think bus lanes would be essential for it to be truly effective since 50 is such a congested corridor. I personally don't think projects should be called BRT if it is not in an exclusive Right of Way.  Last I saw it mentioned in board meeting documents is LYNX was scouting out station locations.

• Like 2

If only Daytona was smart enough to realize what kind of economic impact it would bring there if the sun rail extended to the beach. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, codypet said:

I tried to pull it up on Metroplans site, but the links appear to have been expired and not renewed.+

I did find this priority list with is on there.  If its truly a priority list in order we're gonna be waiting a while.

image.thumb.png.c8fae3300885fcfc7fc62408b9f35494.png

That's MetroPlans priority list, not necessarily LYNX's priority list . If Orange County passed the transit sales tax next year, presumably they could start working on BRT on 50, Semoran,  OIA to Convention Center, and expanding LYMMO immediately. My issue is all these projects are mostly frequent buses in mixed traffic with amenity upgrades ; I wish the region had the foresight for bus lanes on all major corridors, that's the only way these BRT-lite projects would be true Rapid Transit. I've ridden on real BRT in LA and it works as well as Light Rail, but what gets passed off as BRT here in Florida like the Metro Rapid in Tampa or the First Coast Flyer in Jacksonville are barely an upgrade on regular bus service.

On 5/28/2019 at 11:58 AM, smileguy said:

I don't understand what you mean. Sunrail more or less shadows I-4, which we all know has an East/West alignment! :tw_tounge_wink:

I knew a couple of non-map people in the early 2000's that thought OIA was east of Altamonte because SR 436's alignment going E/W from I-4.  They didn't realize it curved due south after Casselberry.  Similar to the I-4 directional labeling.  I spoke to another person last week that thought Daytona was due east of Orlando and didn't realize it more so north and a little bit east.

• Like 1

That plan is disappointing. Orlando might, if politics allow, plan to begin work on a small stretch (phase 1) of a new bus route that does not improve over existing buses because it's just going to be stuck in traffic on SR50 like everyone else. Nevermind that it's covering a stretch of SR50 that is likely substantially better serviced by existing bus routes.

I'll be shocked if the east-west transit situation has materially improved by 2025.

Edited by John Hargrove
  • Like 1

I would think that if they were to  build a BRT down colonial, the lights would  be linked to give the BRT right of way through intersections, and there won't be anyone in their lane to slow them down.   I don't see them as getting stuck in traffic. at all.

• Like 1