SunRail

sunshine

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, idroveazamboni said:

1.5 million/365= @4,110 riders a day.  

Sunrail does not run 365 days of the year. The train operates 5 days a week multiplied by 52 weeks =260 days. Minus federal holidays, which I’d say 7 days throughout the year=253 days give or take. Ridership is around 5929 a day I guestimate. This is awesome! As I ride around town I see riders at the many stations at all hours of the day.

Edited by Urban Mail Carrier
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

Sunrail does not run 365 days of the year. The train operates 5 days a week multiplied by 52 weeks =260 days. Minus federal holidays, which I’d say 7 days throughout the year=253 days give or take. Ridership is around 5929 a day I guestimate. This is awesome! As I ride around town I see riders at the many stations at all hours of the day.

Good to know, I'm not local. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, stevenycer1 said:

https://www.apta.com/research-technical-resources/transit-statistics/ridership-report/

I suppose they are using APTA Q3 2019 stats? That's almost half of South Florida's TriRail ridership in just 5 years and a couple million less in pop. :) 

Yes, I’m actually impressed given SunRail is still relatively new.

I was also impressed how far ahead of Nashville we are (not sure of the BNA route so it may be apples to oranges).

I’m not sure when the number are from but Ennis and  company are generally a source I have faith in without playing games.

* Apparently the numbers are APTA 3Q 2019.

Edited by spenser1058

I said the exact number and the facts somewhere in this thread, but if you look at how long it took the NYC subway to go from one fairly unpopular line to the system that everyone typically thinks of for mass transit in the US it took a really long time to get its legs under it.

But since that was well over 100 years ago, it doesn't seem like it in 2020.

• Like 1

Just got back from Charlotte and I had a chance to ride their CATS train. Very impressive!! Trains run every 10-15 minutes. This interval serves to encourage ridership. If u missed your train “ Oh well I’ll wait 10 minutes for the next train, no biggie.” Unfortunately for Sunrail  if you’ve missed the train the wait is  30-120minutes and you’ll be late or avoid the tardiness by taking an Uber or commuting in your own car. This defeats the purpose of commuter rail.  Equally impressive is the development all along the 26 stops that I quickly counted on their system map legend. Their was also a trail system alongside both sides of the tracks that  residents used for jogging, walking, scootering, and skateboarding, etc... All along the trail there were fancy supermarkets, snazzy eateries, delightful ice creameries and breweries galore. All the meanwhile sleek modern trains whizz-by down the center of the trail. I also noticed that the last stop of CATS was UNC@Charlotte thus the trains were packed with students. There also are plans to expand by two more lines by 2030 at the cost of 8billion into Charlotte International airport. The frustrating part of this is that their system was built with money originally awarded to Orlando. That money Catapulted the development and modernization of that city. So why didn’t Charlottes train system make it onto the top 25?

• Like 4

Just now, Urban Mail Carrier said:

Just got back from Charlotte and I had a chance to ride their CATS train. Very impressive!! Trains run every 10-15 minutes. This interval serves to encourage ridership. If u missed your train “ Oh well I’ll wait 10 minutes for the next train, no biggie.” Unfortunately for Sunrail  if you’ve missed the train the wait is  30-120minutes and you’ll be late or avoid the tardiness by taking an Uber or commuting in your own car. This defeats the purpose of commuter rail.  Equally impressive is the development all along the 26 stops that I quickly counted on their system map legend. Their was also a trail system alongside both sides of the tracks that  residents used for jogging, walking, scootering, and skateboarding, etc... All along the trail there were fancy supermarkets, snazzy eateries, delightful ice creameries and breweries galore. All the meanwhile sleek modern trains whizz-by down the center of the trail. I also noticed that the last stop of CATS was UNC@Charlotte thus the trains were packed with students. There also are plans to expand by two more lines by 2030 at the cost of 8billion into Charlotte International airport. The frustrating part of this is that their system was built with money originally awarded to Orlando. That money Catapulted the development and modernization of that city. So why didn’t Charlottes train system make it onto the top 25?

You may thank Clarence Hoenstine for sending our train to Charlotte (along with a couple of others who we won’t mention today).

If you’re asking why Charlotte isn’t on the list above, it just lists commuter rail. Charlotte is light rail, a different category.

21 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

You may thank Clarence Hoenstine for sending our train to Charlotte (along with a couple of others who we won’t mention today).

If you’re asking why Charlotte isn’t on the list above, it just lists commuter rail. Charlotte is light rail, a different category.

Its crazy how ONE decision can affect a region in such a big way. Small minded people dammit

21 hours ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

Don't think we would be at that level today though. Charlotte has gobs of banking money. We are a broke ass tourism/service industry city. Big difference

• Like 2

Another nail in the Sunrail Volusia coffin. Today "the county's commission approved sending a joint letter asking SunRail operations officials to consider making DeBary the end of the rail line".

"In order for Volusia County to exit, the other local partners of the train — the city of Orlando and Orange, Osceola and Seminole counties — would have to approve the move."

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/01/09/heres-whats-next-for-sunrails-planned-expansion-to.html?iana=hpmvp_orl_news_headline

I don't think they're gonna let Volusia exit and make DeBary the end of the line.  The only way I see them letting Volusia exit is making Sanford the end of the line.   Sunrail's maintaining the movable bridge for that station.  If Sunrail pulls from DeBary then all the TOD that's going up will have no incentive to be there.  It's going to cause a house of cards.

Edited by codypet

31 minutes ago, codypet said:

I don't think they're gonna let Volusia exit and make DeBary the end of the line.  The only way I see them letting Volusia exit is making Sanford the end of the line.   Sunrail's maintaining the movable bridge for that station.  If Sunrail pulls from DeBary then all the TOD that's going up will have no incentive to be there.  It's going to cause a house of cards.

Very good points as there is a lot of TOD in process.

Toward the end of the article it said..." Potential changes to the agreement come as FDOT has a May 1, 2021, date for the handoff of operations, costs and control to the local partners. Volusia County Commissioner Ed Kelley said during the meeting that he recently spoke with local Florida Department of Transportation officials and that date may not be a "drop dead" deadline for any negotiations."

So there may be negotiations still to come. However that will require the other partners to swallow that costs and none of them seem to be lining up to do so.