SunRail

sunshine

It is only a suggestion at this point, but combining Lynx and Sunrail into one organization was floated by the Orlando Economic Partnership.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/09/16/officials-may-oversee-lynx-and-sunrail-one-entity.html

"the city of Orlando, Orange, Osceola, Seminole and Volusia counties. Initial discussions by local stakeholders already have begun on whether to combine the two entities when SunRail comes under local control"

And, Vegas votes to spend tourist tax money on transit.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell-commentary/os-op-vegas-monorail-orlando-sunrail-scott-maxwell-20200916-a3eqbwtsunf3xbaj7w7xxpdvlq-story.html

Edited by AmIReal
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

It is only a suggestion at this point, but combining Lynx and Sunrail into one organization was floated by the Orlando Economic Partnership.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/09/16/officials-may-oversee-lynx-and-sunrail-one-entity.html

"the city of Orlando, Orange, Osceola, Seminole and Volusia counties. Initial discussions by local stakeholders already have begun on whether to combine the two entities when SunRail comes under local control"

This is such a painfully obvious choice for me. Common ticketing and marketing and all. Or better yet include MetroPlan and CFX and give us one regional transportation group. Give them power over bike/scooter rental companies, bike trails, etc. 

It’s possible the OBJ read the OEPs publicly released “blueprint” but doesn’t know there’s a SunRail transition process in place.   It’s moving slow and is bloated with consultants of course but nevertheless, once SunRail is managed by the locals...where do you think it’s going to live?

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

It’s possible the OBJ read the OEPs publicly released “blueprint” but doesn’t know there’s a SunRail transition process in place.   It’s moving slow and is bloated with consultants of course but nevertheless, once SunRail is managed by the locals...where do you think it’s going to live?

The article did mention "The operational costs of SunRail — which currently is funded by the Florida Department of Transportation — is in the process of being handed off to local partners: the city of Orlando, Orange, Osceola, Seminole and Volusia counties."

This particular article was because OEP "mentioned the idea during a Sept. 16 virtual press conference"... "Initial discussions by local stakeholders already have begun", says Mayor Dyer.

Also, for @Jerry95 and @Urban Mail Carrier...

The transportation priorities for the group also include (among other things) "Empower a regional transportation authority"... whatever that means.

10 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Also, for @Jerry95 and @Urban Mail Carrier...

The transportation priorities for the group also include (among other things) "Empower a regional transportation authority"... whatever that means.

I believe this would require legislative action from Tallahassee to modify the powers or create a new RTA. From a branding perspective I'm surprised we haven't used "Greater Orlando" as a GO acronym. Maybe it's too obvious. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jerry95 said:

I believe this would require legislative action from Tallahassee to modify the powers or create a new RTA. From a branding perspective I'm surprised we haven't used "Greater Orlando" as a GO acronym. Maybe it's too obvious. 

Effectively pooling Votran, Lynx and Sunrail into one entity right?  That would make sense so we don't stupidly have 3 different ticketing systems that don't talk to each other. 

That said Lynx itself is just now finally rolling out ticketing machines that can read the app generated electronic passes.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, codypet said:

Effectively pooling Votran, Lynx and Sunrail into one entity right?

I say go one step further and lump CFX in. Let's allow toll and transit dollars to be used on multi-modal solutions to combat congestion and increase mobility. I'd also like to see all Central Florida toll roads besides mainline I-4 and the Turnpike turned over to CFX. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Jerry95 said:

I say go one step further and lump CFX in. Let's allow toll and transit dollars to be used on multi-modal solutions to combat congestion and increase mobility. I'd also like to see all Central Florida toll roads besides mainline I-4 and the Turnpike turned over to CFX. 

Back in the day before the road was widened to the median, I felt SR 408's R/W was prime for an elevated transit line similar to the Van Wyck in NY.  Downtown out to UCF.

image.png.c06b41e20d7c135df9bc4e53a343afa3.png

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Is this the "blueprint" document you mentioned?

https://orlando.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2020/04/Transportation2030Report.pdf

From here- https://orlando.org/l/alliance-for-regional-transportation/

7 hours ago, Jerry95 said:

Toll roads are funded through bonds and backed by the collections. 

At best, CFX could merge with those other organizations but the revenue from current toll roads could not be used. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.wftv.com/news/brightline-proposal-could-revive-plans-connect-sunrail-oia/HESUFFM5HNESNBFCEBNHBNND5M/

Sunrail might get some help from, according to spenser, the scam private passenger rail company that keeps stealing from the rich and giving to the government in some convoluted scheme, errrm, Brightline..... Brightline is exploring coming up with an arrangement to share the tracks with Sunrail to Orlando International Airport to allow them both to have stops at the airport. Kudos to Brightline for being innovative and working so hard to excel rail in the state of Florida!

I still am concerned about this plan with Sunrail as all of the proposals so far have involved diverting half of the current service south of the airport spur to the airport. This will leave some stops with service almost 3 hours apart in off peak hours. It seems like given how thing are going, they should explore handing over operations of Sunrail to Brightline and let them be the rail operator for the entire area.

Edited by aent
  • Sad 1

IIRC there was a plan a while back and I forget who I heard it from that the first leg of Orlando -->Tampa was using the existing OUC tracks and stop at Meadow Woods before continuing to Disney and eventually Tampa.  It would mean allowing Brightline to use both OUC's and Sunrail's tracks which would mean a hell of a lot of upgrading.  Sunrail wouldn't ever go to the airport, you'd have to xfer on to a Brightline train at Meadow Woods.  I'm sure they'd have to figure out ticketing.  I don't know if that's any faster than jumping on Lynx 111 at Sand Lake though.

Edited by codypet

3 hours ago, codypet said:

IIRC there was a plan a while back and I forget who I heard it from that the first leg of Orlando -->Tampa was using the existing OUC tracks and stop at Meadow Woods before continuing to Disney and eventually Tampa.  It would mean allowing Brightline to use both OUC's and Sunrail's tracks which would mean a hell of a lot of upgrading.  Sunrail wouldn't ever go to the airport, you'd have to xfer on to a Brightline train at Meadow Woods.  I'm sure they'd have to figure out ticketing.  I don't know if that's any faster than jumping on Lynx 111 at Sand Lake though.

So it looks like Bright Line doesn't want to stop at Meadow Woods or serve as a connecting service - from the news report, they are proposing a new SunRail line that would share Brightline tracks and serve as a connector form the current system to the airport and Disney.

sunrail bright line.PNG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, smileguy said:

So it looks like Bright Line doesn't want to stop at Meadow Woods or serve as a connecting service - from the news report, they are proposing a new SunRail line that would share Brightline tracks and serve as a connector form the current system to the airport and Disney.

sunrail bright line.PNG

Wow. This would be a best-case scenario, for sure.

Edited by uncreativeusername

On 10/7/2020 at 5:16 PM, aent said:

This does make a lot more sense! I wonder if Disney will actually allow Sunrail on their property.... I guess COVID might make them a bit desperate! Now's the time to get the deal done!

Some of us actually suggested this very idea  earlier in this forum. Nice to see that politicians are actually doing their job. Makes  to much sense to just allow Sunrail to use the Brightline Corridor  and allow Brightline to use the Sunrail corridor. What remains unclear to me is the light rail idea.

Edited by Urban Mail Carrier

On 10/6/2020 at 4:26 PM, smileguy said:

sunrail bright line.PNG

Is there a source for this where I can read up on some more information?

2 hours ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

Some of us actually suggested this very idea  earlier in this forum. Nice to see that politicians are actually doing their job. Makes  to much sense to just allow Sunrail to use the Brightline Corridor  and allow Brightline to use the Sunrail corridor. What remains unclear to me is the light rail idea.

Yes, I was one of them. Back when OBX was a thing before a Democrat took over who cancelled the idea, I thought instead of an Sunrail extension, OBX would make a lot more sense to go the airport. It seems unlikely the politicians came up with this route considering what we were getting before, its likely Brightline is proposing all of this to make their project have a better chance of success.