SunRail

sunshine

There is a lot of silence around this project. I would think with the spectre of much higher gasoline prices, they would be taking the opportunity to push the project as much as they can.

No kidding. I would ride it in a heartbeat if they would just get it running. I hate driving around in a car all the time. It's either that or I need to look into investing in a donkey to ride into work. Donkey feed's gotta be cheaper than gas...

There is a lot of silence around this project. I would think with the spectre of much higher gasoline prices, they would be taking the opportunity to push the project as much as they can.

I agree.But on the bright side just think the higher prices for gas equals more people wanting to live closer to their work.I think this is really helping those folks dowtown to sell their condos

well....they can do it fast....or they can do it right.....

To clarify, I understand the concept of 'doing it right', it's just that there is already a program in place which is tied to various funding arrangements. I just don't see why they'd want to jeopordize that.

"doing it right" would be to build the line proposed from debary to poinciana.

they can use the myregion study to see what other lines they can build after that, b/c those lines will cost much more $$$ (save a line up 441 to Eustis, if they so choose.

I think Bande and Camillo need to chime in on this issue.

"doing it right" would be to build the line proposed from debary to poinciana.

they can use the myregion study to see what other lines they can build after that, b/c those lines will cost much more $$$ (save a line up 441 to Eustis, if they so choose.

I think Bande and Camillo need to chime in on this issue.

A line to Eustis would be freakin' awesome!

It would be even better if rail line went further north to the Heathrow Office park area. I live in College Park and work up in Heathrow and I would take the rail if it existed. :thumbsup:

This was just a rough schematic of what I believe would be major areas that would need to be hit with a mass transit station (Downtown, Winter Park, College Park, Lockheed/SandLake/I-Drive, Attractions, FL Mall, Airport, Citrus Bowl/TdWaterhouse, etc.)

I still think Orlando's mass transit would have to be different than many other places because of our city's reliance on cars. I'd say that every station, except Downtown, would need a good sized parking lot. But, it would be much better for cars to only have to drive a short distance to get to a commuter lot than having to drive all the way to their destination.

I don't know, the whole idea above seems pretty simple to me. I think it's what Orlando needs more than anything.

• 1 month later...

The website is Central Florida Commuter Rail.

The bad news is the Bush Adminstration has cut transit funding so much that the 50% federal matching portion to build this line probably isn't going to be available. For 2007, the Bush budgen only appropriated $1.5B for $45B in requests. Most of that $1.5B went to commitments on existing projects. There is a topic on this in the Urban Transit section of UrbanPlanet if you would like to see where the money went.

The website is Central Florida Commuter Rail.

The bad news is the Bush Adminstration has cut transit funding so much that the 50% federal matching portion to build this line probably isn't going to be available. For 2007, the Bush budgen only appropriated $1.5B for $45B in requests. Most of that $1.5B went to commitments on existing projects. There is a topic on this in the Urban Transit section of UrbanPlanet if you would like to see where the money went.

Don't need to go to that section. The money went to Iraq.