SunRail

sunshine

I read a brief article about Apopka's desire to have a Sunrail route in the next decade. I know many on here track the train story better than I do- so this may be common knowledge, but this was the first mention I heard of the option on the Aloma spur.

"SunRail currently holds three options on area spur’s more commonly known as secondary tracks. One of them is in Apopka."..."The other two spurs SunRail currently has options on are the DeLand spur and Aloma Spur."

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2022/02/19/apopka-officials-push-for-new-sunrail-station-in-the-next-10-years

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I read a brief article about Apopka's desire to have a Sunrail route in the next decade. I know many on here track the train story better than I do- so this may be common knowledge, but this was the first mention I heard of the option on the Aloma spur.

"SunRail currently holds three options on area spur’s more commonly known as secondary tracks. One of them is in Apopka."..."The other two spurs SunRail currently has options on are the DeLand spur and Aloma Spur."

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2022/02/19/apopka-officials-push-for-new-sunrail-station-in-the-next-10-years

WHERE IS THE ALOMA SPUR??? Does it cross Semoran Blvd(SR436)

On 2/20/2022 at 1:21 PM, AmIReal said:

I searched long and hard (actually I made google do it) and the best answer I got came from @truebluecfl right here on UP back in 2014.

"The Aloma Spur rail line runs from the City of Sanford down to the City of Winter Springs. "

So, no, it would not cross 436.

Yup, it used to go through downtown Oviedo (you can see buildings that interacted with it in Google Maps) along the current trail. It went south to Downtown as well on the current Urban Trail route.

On 2/21/2022 at 9:08 AM, orlandocity87 said:

OBX is such a missed opportunity for a logical, already-existing next SunRail segment (only behind the airport segment). 

do we know whether that line ever got the funding for renovations of the track?  there was talk about that back when Sunrail began operating and talk of OBX was circulating...

13 hours ago, jrs2 said:

do we know whether that line ever got the funding for renovations of the track?  there was talk about that back when Sunrail began operating and talk of OBX was circulating...

Yes it did get upgraded. I think the speed for passenger rail, even after the renovation, is limited to 59 mph instead of 79mph on Sunrail, but other then that it should just need trains and stations, and the democrats to get voted out and someone like John Mica voted back in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, aent said:

Yes it did get upgraded. I think the speed for passenger rail, even after the renovation, is limited to 59 mph instead of 79mph on Sunrail, but other then that it should just need trains and stations, and the democrats to get voted out and someone like John Mica voted back in.

lol.  I’d have voted for Mica forever but he’s not going to be the one on that ticket.  More likely to be a Joel Greenberg type 

Edited by Jernigan
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

Would be nice if they extended that line to Clermont. Most likely ,if that ever happened , via the EAST-WEST expressway. 

yeah.  if there's one thing we've learned from BL, it's that it doesn't have to be built on an existing track.  it could be a viable example of how to do it on 408/TNPK easement like they did on 528 with BL.

2 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Which sour is that ?

don't know the name, but it's on google map; branches off of the OBX line (can't recall exactly where.

4 hours ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

Would be nice if they extended that line to Clermont. Most likely ,if that ever happened , via the EAST-WEST expressway. 

Would have been nice if there was a spur that went the Clermont via Oakland and Winter Garden but alas, nothing like that existed or our politicians would have had the foresight to make sure the R/W was available. :rofl:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 9:00 AM, aent said:

I had the pleasure to meet John Mica.  He is really nice low key guy.  He was very effective on transportation issues.  Here is the route and upgrades if anyone is interest. A  Sunrail line to Apopka would be quite a difference maker imo. 

0FAE4E9E-4EB6-47CA-9621-BC93A7EF8692.jpeg

• Like 1