SunRail

sunshine

Absolutely. Although it helps if the line runs later-you can get off work DT, ride to Sanford for happy hour at some place on Lake Monroe (is there such a place now?) then ride home to DeBary. Or just live near one of the closer stops :-)

metrowester It's just a matter of money I think. Money and the willingness to take a risk-I mean is the rail line even a go yet?

I'd bet a few million on a TOD development if I had a few to throw around. Or at least a million on some land speculation.

Wolfie's in DT Sanford on the lake; not sure about other places;

Wolfie's in DT Sanford on the lake; not sure about other places;

Point being, if you can stop somewhere and shop, drink with co-workers, eat with the family or just hang around looking shady and walking around in baggy pants, then have time to get back on and go home, it's ideal for developments along transit stops.

Just kidding about the shady part of course, but that has been used as an excuse as to why areas DON'T want transit.

• 3 weeks later...

Just ran across the article from the Dallas threads. It states that DART has spurred north of $3BB in development and that cities are clamoring to have them built. Orlandoans have a lot to learn from these Texans.

DART spurs development

well, that's the idea. Altamonte and Longwood have already done mini studies regarding developing the sites of future stations with multi-use construction.

Do you know any sites I can check out JRS?

no, but there was an article about this I believe posted on this thread a couple months back. maybe there's a link on the commuter rail website (can't remember the name).

Don't know if this was spurred from the Commuter Rail but it looks like Lake Mary is busting out bookoo retail all around the future Lake Mary CR station.

http://www.lakemaryfl.com/maps/downtown%20master%20plan.htm

that is cool.

Don't know if this was spurred from the Commuter Rail but it looks like Lake Mary is busting out bookoo retail all around the future Lake Mary CR station.

http://www.lakemaryfl.com/maps/downtown%20master%20plan.htm

It would be cool, but I don't know how accurate it is. The map is dated 2003, and I remember reading in the OBJ several months back, and in the Sentinel as well I think, that a lot of the proposed development for this area of Lake Mary has fallen by the wayside. The developer pulled out of several of the projects proposed.

It would be cool, but I don't know how accurate it is. The map is dated 2003, and I remember reading in the OBJ several months back, and in the Sentinel as well I think, that a lot of the proposed development for this area of Lake Mary has fallen by the wayside. The developer pulled out of several of the projects proposed.

They document must have been updated, they just forgot to change the date. I don't remember hearing anything about a commuter rail back in 2003. On the plan it shows the location of the office for the future Commuter Rail office. There is al ot of development going on in that area right now. They just refurbished the history center. Opened a new shopping plaza and are in the process of building a pedestrian walkover over Lake Mary blvd.

I had never once see people cross that street at Reinhert and Lake Mary.

Only students cross that street in the morning at Old country road.

oh yeah, I called that a waste of money. And they work extremely slow.

It's either teach people to drive safely and to ALWAYS yield to peds, or this kind of krap will continue to get built...and later demolished. Remember the one over I-4 near Fairbanks? Some school changed districts and it wasn't needed....but hundreds of bats had made there home there.

The question is, where are those bats today? :huh:

Probably living in someone's attic.

It's either teach people to drive safely and to ALWAYS yield to peds, or this kind of krap will continue to get built...and later demolished. Remember the one over I-4 near Fairbanks? Some school changed districts and it wasn't needed....but hundreds of bats had made there home there.

The question is, where are those bats today? :huh:

Probably living in someone's attic.

Bats are actually very beneficial to the environment. The bats are probably now under an overpass or living in a strip mall--- seriously. They're all over Williamsburg Downs at night and under where the 528 crosses I-Drive. Not to mention thriving in SeaWorld and Discovery Cove... hell this whole area!

why the animosity towards elevated walkways. You couldn't pay me to cross LMB with the traffic it has. aren't building 3-4 bridges over there?

I think the only way those could work is if the strip centers on the south side of LMB were closer to the roadway, b/c who is going to walk across a vast parking lot just to walk across LMB to the Gamestop or to McD's when you can drive?

why the animosity towards elevated walkways. You couldn't pay me to cross LMB with the traffic it has. aren't building 3-4 bridges over there?

I think the only way those could work is if the strip centers on the south side of LMB were closer to the roadway, b/c who is going to walk across a vast parking lot just to walk across LMB to the Gamestop or to McD's when you can drive?

Slowly, they are allowing, or even encouraging, people to build closer to the road-new urbanism, I suppose. But when the area is already developed.....you're stuck with seas of asphalt in front of strip malls.

I think people just think the walkways don't get used enough for their cost. And they often fall into disrepair.

Slowly, they are allowing, or even encouraging, people to build closer to the road-new urbanism, I suppose. But when the area is already developed.....you're stuck with seas of asphalt in front of strip malls.

I think people just think the walkways don't get used enough for their cost. And they often fall into disrepair.

Parking lots are often prime development spots. If and when the owner of that property decides to upzone the property, the parking lot can be ripped up, new street front retail can be created and a multi level parking garage could be built.

Parking lots are often prime development spots. If and when the owner of that property decides to upzone the property, the parking lot can be ripped up, new street front retail can be created and a multi level parking garage could be built.

And, God willing, when more people walk, bike and, HOPEFULLY, take some type of mass transit, not as much parking will be needed anyway!

I've not really understood cities and counties having minimum parking requirements anyway. If people want to build a parking lot too small, hey let them. I've had to leave Winter Park Village before b/c there was no parking. Oh well, their loss, why is the government involved in telling them how many spaces they need? I drove somewhere else and no body got their feelings hurt too bad :thumbsup:

Here is why those two locations, Country Club rd and Rinehart where chosen I believe. The traffic in the morning at that intersection can get congested due to people using LMB as a way to I-4 and the people who live off of County Club driving to work. At the same time, a big portion of kids have to cross over LMB. Simple enough, they want to have a full proof system in place to get the kids to school and once it's in place, it will require almost no maintenance. I think the Rinehart location was chosen due to an increase of people walking, jogging and biking for excersise on Rinehart rd. There is a huge town home neighborhood that is being developed very close to that intersection so I think that the pedestrian traffic will increase even more when those people start moving in. By the way those townhouses look nice. From what I've heard they are 3 stories and have personal elevator. I can't think of the name of the development right now. I'm also trying to figure out if Publix is going to take advantage of the opportunity to open a Publix GreenWise Market at the Rinehart bridge since I believe they are moving the publix that is currently there to a new location across the street where a Winn dixie was. So, that's pretty much why I think they are putting in the walkovers.

Here is why those two locations, Country Club rd and Rinehart where chosen I believe. The traffic in the morning at that intersection can get congested due to people using LMB as a way to I-4 and the people who live off of County Club driving to work. At the same time, a big portion of kids have to cross over LMB. Simple enough, they want to have a full proof system in place to get the kids to school and once it's in place, it will require almost no maintenance. I think the Rinehart location was chosen due to an increase of people walking, jogging and biking for excersise on Rinehart rd. There is a huge town home neighborhood that is being developed very close to that intersection so I think that the pedestrian traffic will increase even more when those people start moving in. By the way those townhouses look nice. From what I've heard they are 3 stories and have personal elevator. I can't think of the name of the development right now. I'm also trying to figure out if Publix is going to take advantage of the opportunity to open a Publix GreenWise Market at the Rinehart bridge since I believe they are moving the publix that is currently there to a new location across the street where a Winn dixie was. So, that's pretty much why I think they are putting in the walkovers.

Isn't there a trail that runs near/along Rhinehart from the Mall (+-/-) south? I know we (my company) did a development I believe on the corner of Rhinehart and 46 (or whatever road it is just north of the mall) and we had to put in a section of a 10 foot walking/biking trail. So that's another reason for the bridge.

• 3 weeks later...

So has this system been submitted to the FTA for Prelim Engineering? Is so when did it happen...if not, when do they plan to submit it for Preliminary Engineering review?

The Republicans only care about public wars and bridges to nowhere. We see what they did to the highspeed trains here in fl. For now its up to local communities to try and change things for themselves.

Denver is a great example; they are heavily increasing their light-rail system and building that high-speed rail that us Floridiates were tricked out of by the republilcans.

Orlando seems like its truly attempting to work on the transportation issue and that's refreshing to say the least. It's amazing the difference in the way things are run here since the Democrats took over ... were actually making progress on so many fronts. Of course not everything's perfect but as a native I have lived the difference.

The Republicans only care about public wars and bridges to nowhere. We see what they did to the highspeed trains here in fl. For now its up to local communities to try and change things for themselves.

Denver is a great example; they are heavily increasing their light-rail system and building that high-speed rail that us Floridiates were tricked out of by the republilcans.

Orlando seems like its truly attempting to work on the transportation issue and that's refreshing to say the least. It's amazing the difference in the way things are run here since the Democrats took over ... were actually making progress on so many fronts. Of course not everything's perfect but as a native I have lived the difference.

Oh, gawd.