SunRail

sunshine

Commuter rail picks up speed

Jay Hamburg {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted March 15, 2007

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...=orl-home-promo

I think Tri-Rail ran once every 40 min. until they implemented double-tracking of the 72 mile system to cut it down to every 20 min. Starting off at every 30 min. isn't bad.

But like I mentioned a few days ago, 6 train cars have already been contracted for; 4 powered cars and 2 regular cars, to make two 3-car trains-- for now in Phase I.

I think it's genius, though. Start with Commuter Rail first; make new bus feeder routes as well. Once you prove it's success, then you go the next step with Light Rail or another form of rail. THe beauty of this project is that OIA is building the Intermodal system which could easily connect to CFRAIL via that spur that goes from Taft to Avalon. People could take CFR from OIA straight to downtown. THis could actually boost DT's clout a bit too, and spurn new growth.

I know I probably asked this already...

Do you think there would be a problem with taking a bicycle onto the commuter train? I live about a mile from any of the proposed stations in WP and work about the same distance from the Lynx station downtown for work. In the winter months, I don't mind the walk, but in the summer, it is too hot.

I would like to be one of the walk the walk people, too. I don't want to preach about commuter rail and then continue to drive my car every day once it is available.

I know I probably asked this already...

Do you think there would be a problem with taking a bicycle onto the commuter train? I live about a mile from any of the proposed stations in WP and work about the same distance from the Lynx station downtown for work. In the winter months, I don't mind the walk, but in the summer, it is too hot.

I would like to be one of the walk the walk people, too. I don't want to preach about commuter rail and then continue to drive my car every day once it is available.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they will definately allow bikes on the train. I'll be doing the same thing, at least until they have shuttles from the station to the commercial park where I work.

This is going to be so great, I'm going to save a ton of money and wear on my car from my current commute. This is EXACTLY what Orlando needed. :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they will definately allow bikes on the train. I'll be doing the same thing, at least until they have shuttles from the station to the commercial park where I work.

This is going to be so great, I'm going to save a ton of money and wear on my car from my current commute. This is EXACTLY what Orlando needed. :thumbsup:

Can you see the ads on the train now... They will show someone speeding along on a Segway (person is smiling; hair is slightly windswept, tie (or skirt) is slightly blowing to the side) and someone else sweating to death (person has frustated look) as they both approach a commuter train terminal. Ad copy is something like.... "Life with Segway is a Breeze." Or better yet, they may have flat screens placed on these trains with "live" tv-type ads running.

If someone works for an ad agency, don't forget where the idea came from (this is time stamped and I will find you). :D

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be amazed if this thing is up-and-running by 2009. Maybe they'll start preliminary construction while Winter park and Maitland are still dithering ?

What exactly would prelim construction entail? Aside from new stations, aren't all the tracks already in place?

Any idea of where the double-tracking is supposed to occur? That's one of the things I've wondered about the project, how effective it will be on a single track.

There are many areas such as Winter Park that is already double tracked. I've seen trains going opposite directions pass by within minutes so I don't think that is just a siding. There would be existing sidings at stations also (Sanford for instance).

Any idea of where the double-tracking is supposed to occur? That's one of the things I've wondered about the project, how effective it will be on a single track.

can't remember. but I google mapped it one day (I was bored) from DeBary to Poinciana. it comes and goes...

Commuter rail runs into 'deal-killer'

Christopher Sherman {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted April 15, 2007

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

That is ridiculous. I am for Winter Park paying to have a stop, but Orange County would have no way in measuring a loss solely based on either Maitland or WP pulling a stop. There is no way in isolating that situation and these cities should not be penalized if they decide down the line that they cannot afford them. I can see either of the municipalities being charged for all the new signage that would have to be replaced when a station would be removed (and the aforementioned federal money to create the stop).

Orange County should delete that statement from the contract.

I suppose it's conceivable that, after a season of near-utopia, we wind up without commuter rail, a PAC and a new arena.

keep positive. don't let some article by the Slantinal make things worse than they really are.

The Las Vegas tram deal is nothing more than an extension of the Bally's/Paris to MGM Grand tram that was in place in 1999. Now it goes from Bally's/Paris to the CC and the LV Hilton. At MGM Grand, it literally touches McCarren Intl. property.

We need soemthing like that on I'Drive. Jax has the AGT like the Metromover in Miami. I know it's stating the obvious...

The Las Vegas tram deal is nothing more than an extension of the Bally's/Paris to MGM Grand tram that was in place in 1999. Now it goes from Bally's/Paris to the CC and the LV Hilton. At MGM Grand, it literally touches McCarren Intl. property.

We need soemthing like that on I'Drive. Jax has the AGT like the Metromover in Miami. I know it's stating the obvious...

I totally agree. The "Tram" in Vegas is actually a Monorail. In fact before it was expanded, there were two Mark IV Trains from Walt Disney World's previous fleet running between Bally and MGM. Disney sold them to Bally's once the upgraded their monorail fleet to the current Mark VI Trains.

Monorail would be perfect in Metro Orlando, but Mica doesn't want it. They continue to say it cost more, but it takes up a smaller right of way, less impact during construction, and can be done in half the time because beams are built off site. Once the supports are up, (Small footprint), then bring in the beams and sit them on top. Construction in Vegas was not that long but the system was delayed due to some problems with the trains, dropping some wheels. There are even some monorails in Japan that were built and are run by private investors......because they make a profit. Granted their ridership is huge in that part of the world but, imagine never having to stop because of a commuter train during rush hour.

Sorry, it has been a sore spot for many years and I have never had the outlet to vent.

I totally agree. The "Tram" in Vegas is actually a Monorail. In fact before it was expanded, there were two Mark IV Trains from Walt Disney World's previous fleet running between Bally and MGM. Disney sold them to Bally's once the upgraded their monorail fleet to the current Mark VI Trains.

Monorail would be perfect in Metro Orlando, but Mica doesn't want it. They continue to say it cost more, but it takes up a smaller right of way, less impact during construction, and can be done in half the time because beams are built off site. Once the supports are up, (Small footprint), then bring in the beams and sit them on top. Construction in Vegas was not that long but the system was delayed due to some problems with the trains, dropping some wheels. There are even some monorails in Japan that were built and are run by private investors......because they make a profit. Granted their ridership is huge in that part of the world but, imagine never having to stop because of a commuter train during rush hour.

Sorry, it has been a sore spot for many years and I have never had the outlet to vent.

Yes, JR (Japan Rail) is one of the private companies that operates many of Japan's public transportation systems. Are there any private public transit companies in the States?