SunRail

sunshine

It pains me to see this city stuck in mediocrity. Following development in this town feels like being friends with a crack-head who's trying to go sober-- just when you think things are starting to change and your friend is showing signs of promise and a bright future, old habits creep back in and he becomes a degenerate again. The same is true of Orlando with its failures to overcome issues like congestion and nearly letting its one major sports team leave town (twice). It's so frustrating to see such a young city struggle to advance itself past its small-town, touristy image. I used to think that I would return to Orlando to settle down later on in life but I really think that there's almost no chance of that happening. It's just too dumb of a town.

It pains me to see this city stuck in mediocrity. Following development in this town feels like being friends with a crack-head who's trying to go sober-- just when you think things are starting to change and your friend is showing signs of promise and a bright future, old habits creep back in and he becomes a degenerate again. The same is true of Orlando with its failures to overcome issues like congestion and nearly letting its one major sports team leave town (twice). It's so frustrating to see such a young city struggle to advance itself past its small-town, touristy image. I used to think that I would return to Orlando to settle down later on in life but I really think that there's almost no chance of that happening. It's just too dumb of a town.

Ummm, you mean as opposed to Miami cosmopolite Larcenia Bullard?

http://blogs.tampabay.com/buzz/2008/05/lar...ullar.html#more

I'm not sure folks from south FL should be throwing stones at the moment.

According to the article in today's Sentinel, the fed money is not tied to the liability issue. If true, why are people conflating the liability thing with fed money ?

Because the agreement with CSX hinges on liability, and when the fed money is gone, its gone for good.

ladies and gentlemen, what we have just witnessed is a travesty. basically we witnessed a city like newburgh, bakersfield, and southbend single handedly have more pull to derail a mass transit plan to alleviate severe traffic congestion in new york city, los angeles, and chicago respectively.

this is complete BS. ohhh..... but lets not worry about the waste of money they laid out for a half beltway around their little town. lets not go there. it would be interesting to see if the tolls collected on that road are actually enough to pay for that thing. i say we have an investigation into that.

basically, the state just caved into this BS liability arguement which was purely political crap. we all know the real reason that b1tch didnt want commuter. she was afraid of a few more trains going through mayberry. PURE SELF INTEREST!! i guess the state feels lakeland is more important than orlando. and they want to argue about backroom deals? puhlease. the only way commuter rail dies in a city of over 2 million people is back room deals.

Because the agreement with CSX hinges on liability, and when the fed money is gone, its gone for good.

Based on CSX's remarks, in today's Sentinel, it remains to be seen as to whether this is the case.

BTW, does anyone else get the impression that Daniel Webster can't wait to get through with this session, retire and go home ? I think this is twice in 24 hours he's pronounced commuter rail dead.

Why shouldn't CSX be considered the bad guy in all this ?

You are exactly right. They should be. CSX was very difficult to work with. They wanted it to be a unilateral negotiation (Kind of an oxymoron, isnt it?). The state was willing to go on with this only because of the commuter rail agreement.

Dont put this on the city or its leaders. They busted their asses on this. At the end of the day, it comes down to what the legislature thinks.

The senators from Lakeland screwed Tampa in this as well:

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/may/03/na...er-rail-future/

Wouldn't they think that if Orlando had commuter rail and Tampa had commuter rail, that it would finally make sense to link the cities together with rail. And if Orlando and Tampa linked up, would Lakeland not be included?

And with Miami and South Florida's current rail system that is continually expanding, the idea of bullet trains between Orlando and Miami would soon follow. After the 2 initial legs could be built, Orlando, Miami, and Tampa could be linked by HSR.