SunRail

sunshine

Rep. Alan Grayson (D) is now talking like he wants to see this thing delayed because he feels CSX is ripping off the taxpayers by demanding too much money, & that by holding out, we could get them to come down on the price.

I just wanna see those SunRail cars a-chuggin, baby!!!

we will lose federal $$$ if this is delayed.

There is definitely that possibility, but with the new administration & more "mass-transit friendly" Democrats in power, even if it were delayed (which I hope it isn't) all may still not be lost. Obama is pushing rail, so with the right people on the right committees, we could still see this thing.

But I say do it now.

There is definitely that possibility, but with the new administration & more "mass-transit friendly" Democrats in power, even if it were delayed (which I hope it isn't) all may still not be lost. Obama is pushing rail, so with the right people on the right committees, we could still see this thing.

But I say do it now.

Obama and the Feds may all be for mass & rail transit, but if the local yahoos keep thumbing their noses at Federal funding (whatever the reason), then the Feds will simply divert the spending to another locale -- just as they've done before. I keep attempting to be positive about the possibility of SunRail; I just can't shake the feeling that this will die once again.

I think you may be right.

I heard on the news tonight that Dockery has 26 out of 40 possible votes against it in the state senate. leaving only 14 in favor.

I'm thinking Sunrail is likely going to be DOA.

Dockery has been bragging about having 26 nays for a while now. She is full of it. It will be close, but she doesn't have that many votes.

I would use commuter rail if we get it, but I have a feeling that it's not going to happen again.

The media has always given numbers of how much the right of way costs and how much it will take to maintain. In doing so, they are playing advocate to Dockery whether they think they are being objective or not. The media never reports how much roads cost to build and maintain. Roads are just accepted costs for everyone even though the DOT on local and state levels have a hard time keeping up with the amount of cars on the road tearing it up.

I think we are going to lose out to the Lakeland yokel.

But I say do it now.

Isnt it ironic that the "mass-transit friendly Democrats" are the very same Democrats who are blocking SunRail?

Isnt it ironic that the "mass-transit friendly Democrats" are the very same Democrats who are blocking SunRail?

Paula Dockery is a Republican. She is leading the charge against SunRail. Out of 40 Senators in the Florida Legislature, 26 are Republicans. The exact same number of votes she claims she has lined up against it.

So you tell me.

Edited by JFW657

I don't see why every senator and housemember from all of Florida Major Metropolitan areas are not voting for this as it would set a precedence to bring in money for their communities to develop other rail projects and mass transportation. Tampa and Jax should be supporting this as much as our leaders so that in the future when they make their pitches for mass transit projects it will not be a novel issue. I agree with the previous post that it should not be sold as a bipartisan or pro this anti that project. It should be sold as a project that would address a need and CREATE JOBS!

^^

that's why Obama wants to focus on building transportation infrastructure, to create jobs.

And that's also why he has Air Force One flown over the Statue of Liberty specially for a postcard shot- to keep his pilots employed and busy, at $70k/nautical mile...

^^

that's why Obama wants to focus on building transportation infrastructure, to create jobs.

And that's also why he has Air Force One flown over the Statue of Liberty specially for a postcard shot- to keep his pilots employed and busy, at $70k/nautical mile...

I totally agree with point 1. Point 2 however: Is totally false and doesn't belong on this board. Nor does this response. :whistling: 1) Since the President didn't request or know about it and was angered by what happened, he hardly "had them do it." 2) They aren't his pilots, they are US Air Force pilots (their jobs aren't on the line), thus the term "Air Force One." If they aren't flying this plane there are plenty of C-17s that'll put them to work. 3) Pilots have to maintain their proficiency by flying so many hours per month whether it's a C-17 or 747 and whether it's NYC or podunk Air Base in Nebraska, the cost is the same.

We're all entitled to our political views ... but if you're going to make an argument, base it on facts.

Paula Dockery is a Republican. She is leading the charge against SunRail. Out of 40 Senators in the Florida Legislature, 26 are Republicans. The exact same number of votes she claims she has lined up against it.

So you tell me.

Your first sentence and last sentence in the first paragraph are both arguable. Look at the committee votes so far, and you will know what party is trying to pass this, and what party is trying to block it.

So, I guess I just told you ;)

Edited by Go Gators

Your first sentence and last sentence in the first paragraph are both arguable. Look at the committee votes so far, and you will know what party is trying to pass this, and what party is trying to block it.

So, I guess I just told you ;)

The last time I checked, Dockery IS a Republican, & she HAS claimed she has 26 Senate votes against Sunrail.

Aside from that, please post the details of those committee votes and a link to where you got them from.

The last time I checked, Dockery IS a Republican, & she HAS claimed she has 26 Senate votes against Sunrail.

Aside from that, please post the details of those committee votes and a link to where you got them from.

Yes, she is a Republican, in name. And I know she has claimed she has the votes. And as you know, all politicians are always honest.

The votes are on flsenate.gov (SB 1212). You can find them there, its all public record.

Edited by Go Gators

I'm not really following the Sunrail project, but I did receive an email that was forwarded to me concerning the project. I don't know how much of this is already known so I apologize in advance if thats the case.

NEWS FROM TALLAHASSEE FROM JACOB STUART:

Just minutes ago, the President of the Florida Senate and the Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives announced that the Legislative Session would be "extended" into next week to allow additional time to successfully achieve a "budget compromise" between the Florida Senate and the Florida House of Representatives.

So you will know, when it comes to SunRail (SB1212), it's my pleasure to report to you that on Sunday evening, I enjoyed a wonderful dinner meeting with Senator Lee Constantine, Congresswoman Corrine Brown and Congressman John Mica along with the Florida Secretary of Transportation, Secretary Stephanie C. Kopelousos. During our time of sharing and learning, we were able to provide "first-hand knowledge" to Congresswoman Brown and Congressman Mica about the work that now lies ahead.

Yesterday morning, Congresswoman Brown and Congressman Mica were wonderful advocates for our "common cause." They met with key Legislative Leaders and were introduced on the floor of the Florida House of Representatives and the Florida Senate. In addition, they both met with Governor Charlie Crist and held a "Press Availability," answering questions from members of the Media, where they talked specifically about the consequences of failing to pass SB1212 (SunRail). It was during this "Press Availability" that Congresswoman Brown said, "in my 27 years of Legislative experience, there's no such thing as a perfect bill; but, this is a perfect place to start." Her positive words of encouragement, combined with those of Congressman Mica, continue to reverberate around the Capitol today.

This morning, Congresswoman Brown met with the Democratic Caucus, and later today she will be working "arm in arm" with Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer, talking with members of the Florida Senate and Members of the Florida House of Representatives about the importance of SunRail.

There's no doubt about the support of Congresswoman Brown and Congressman Mica; and there's no doubt either, about the support we continue to enjoy from Governor Charlie Crist and Senate President Jeff Atwater. Their patient leadership and continuing encouragement are making a positive difference as this matter works its way through the vicissitudes of the Legislative process.

So you will know, I've had a chance to visit with Christina Johnson, with On 3 Public Relations, regarding our plans for this week and next. As you would agree, she has been a wonderful addition to our "team," coordinating our "grassroots effort," and we would both welcome your ideas regarding activities we should advance over the next several days.

As this matter continues to move forward; I will be in back in touch. In the meantime, if you have any comments, questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to contact me personally.

Jacob V. Stuart

President & CEO

Central Florida Partnership

America's Newest Regional Partnership

Yes, she is a Republican, in name. And I know she has claimed she has the votes. And as you know, all politicians are always honest.

The votes are on flsenate.gov (SB 1212). You can find them there, its all public record.

Yes, most of the Fla. Senators who are, to their credit, in favor of the project, are Republicans & two of the three who voted against it are Democrats, but that still doesn't really say anything about the general attitude towards public transportation of either party.

Going back to your statement "Isnt it ironic that the "mass-transit friendly Democrats" are the very same Democrats who are blocking SunRail?", I'd say it's not surprising that a few Democrats, who hold a small minority in the Fla. legislature, might be against any particular bill, including this one, for varying reasons.

And going back further to my original comment about having "more mass-transit friendly Democrats in power", I was talking about on the national level, with regard to the current distribution of power in Washington D.C., & I think that in general, you'd find that to be true.

I think it's pretty much accepted that Republicans as a whole tend to be against most non-military spending that uses tax dollars to pay for it.

Yes, most of the Fla. Senators who are, to their credit, in favor of the project, are Republicans & two of the three who voted against it are Democrats, but that still doesn't really say anything about the general attitude towards public transportation of either party.

Going back to your statement "Isnt it ironic that the "mass-transit friendly Democrats" are the very same Democrats who are blocking SunRail?", I'd say it's not surprising that a few Democrats, who hold a small minority in the Fla. legislature, might be against any particular bill, including this one, for varying reasons.

And going back further to my original comment about having "more mass-transit friendly Democrats in power", I was talking about on the national level, with regard to the current distribution of power in Washington D.C., & I think that in general, you'd find that to be true.

I think it's pretty much accepted that Republicans as a whole tend to be against most non-military spending that uses tax dollars to pay for it.

You're exactly right. The Republicans entire philosophy on spending can be summed up in your last sentence, with no room for debate since it is "pretty much accepted" (by whom? how many people were sampled? where are these numbers coming from?)

There are far more than 2 or 3 D's who did/will/may vote against it.