SunRail

sunshine

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

they recently submitted HSR proposal for first leg to go from OIA-OCCC-WDW-Lakeland-Tampa (along 528 then I-4). Sunrail is also being pushed for HSR money since it will link with the HSR.

The question remains, where will HSR and Sunrail interface?

Near the intersection of Sand Lake and Orange Avenue. That's about a mile west of Tradeport Rd.

THe whole point is, there won't be a stop for someone to get off of HSR and make it onto the local Sunrail System. Sure, it might come close, but these two systems are in two separate vacuums as currently designed. It's funny how not a single soul has yet to point this out - either in the HSR or Sunrail camps.

^^

Not entirely accurate.

Sunrail is supposed to link with OIA via Lynx shuttle busses- for now. In the future, an LRT is supposed to go to OIA to that Intermodal station that was posted a few years back to the east of the North Terminal and to the future South Terminal Intermodal Station. I won't count my chickens for the South Intermodal Station; we'll just stick with the North station for now as a probability.

I guarantee you, if HSR does come, the North Terminal Intermodal Station will get built-- it will have to get built; its already been designed.

Now the question is simply, will they route the LRT via Taft and out to lake Nona to the east, and I-Drive to the west as "proposed?"

As it stands now, Sunrail will link to OIA via the Sand Lake Station bus route. If the LRT is built, it will link up in Taft, where the spur currently is that eventually goes to the power plant near Avalon Park.

Maybe they'll just build a 2-3 mile LRT from the Sunrail Station to OIA and expand it if at all in the future. Since they own the easement (I believe GOAA), it will be super cheap to do, which means, the link will be in Taft.

There are no plans to put LRT through Taft... the preferred alignment spoken of for LRT is positioned along the Sand Lake Corridor and then goes through the Universal City property after it crosses the Turnpike in a south west direction, linking up with Canadian Court (or whatever it's called now) in the vicinity of the Convention Center.

But, considering CRT's problems, I'm not holding my breath for LRT along that corridor.

And the CRT/LRT corridors through Nona and Innovation Way are a pipe dream. After all, the first DRI at Innovation Place is screaming to do conventional development. What's the point of providing that infrustructure; additionally, the medical city at Nona isn't exactly urban (well, maybe the medical school). Nemours, Veterans and Burnham are not urban - the routing of the LRT is an afterthought in the design. Clearly it's an auto-dominated area.

^^

everything I've heard for the past two years from Mica's office has been that the spur easement to the power plant from Taft would be incorporated as the most feasible link of Sunrail to OIA via LRT.

no, Lake Nona isn't at all urban; but the VA will be there. that should be a rather big generator of traffic in and of itself.

I would design an LRT that goes from Milennia down to Prime Outlets then down the I-Drive corridor where it is super-dense all the way to Sea World, with a future extension to Premium Outlets and Marriott World Center. There's so much high density/traffic development in that corridor such a line couldn't fail for lack of ridership. Then, I would link that to OIA and really p*ss off Mears.

For the I-Drive corridor, perhaps an AGT could work...

• 2 months later...

Well, if Dockery listens to LaHood and the beloved HSR that her hubby wanted so much has a legit shot if they decide to support it now, then 3rd time might very well be a charm.

That new senator who took the place of the senator who was against Sunrail was a plus. 23-16 was the last vote. With this new guy, it changes immediately to 22-17 all things being equal. I think an article stated he had influence over a couple of other senators. If true, the 22-17 could do a 4 point swing to 20-19 against. And if worst case only 1 more senator also changes his/her tune, it could flip 20-19 in favor of Sunrail.

I thought Mica was looking into the Amtrak angle with this after the last denial. I think Obama's infrastructure plan might have altered the overall funding strategy. I think they said something about getting union backing unlike from before too.

• 2 weeks later...

Encouraging article in the Sentinel today.

Things are looking up

Again.

For now.....

Light Rail Marks 15 Years of Service - Denver

Why does a place like Denver have Light Rail for 15 years and their people can approve tax increases to expand the system another 119 miles and Orlando can't? Are the people hear that uneducated and inconsiderate of their environment and the future of their children and grandchildren? WOW....Wake up Metro Orlando!

$3M per Double Rail Car from Siemens is not bad. And considering Siemens has their Energy Division Headquarter's right here in Orlando (across from UCF), I am sure they can talk to their Transportation Division brother's to get us a good deal.

^^

that article didn't speak anything new to me. opponents can just as easily hide behind the existing deal as being bad as reason not to support it still. I've been hearing from people on other boards about this whole Amtrak Florida thing, in using them to run commuter trains w/o having to purchase any tracks in exchange; I guess they do it in some other states.

^^

as for a station, HSR's design is the station that's supposed to go just east of Hyatt OIA in a rather large intermodal facility- one for the existing terminal, and one for the proposed South Terminal Complex in a similar orientation. It's supposed to also link with an LRT accdg. to plans. I would assume that the LRT, which supporters have stated would go from Taft to Lake Nona to the east and I-Drive to the west, would link with the proposed Sunrail station at Orange Ave. & Sand Lake Road, but that depends on the LRT alignment and whether they keep the proposed intermodal station where they proposed for it to go- as of 2 years ago.

All I know is that if we get HSR, then that will bolster OIA incredibly so much more than what it is now; it will be incredible. The HSR will really step up the Orlando tourism corridor; wow. If I were Disney, I'd start planning for a Monorail link to the station; they would have to I think. wow. this would really send the ORL into the next dimension of its transportation quotient, which at this time, is decent- but used to be below average only a few years back.

The article says to me that this is now eminent. The time for state bickering and games are over. That being said, Florida really knows how to blow pretty much anything so I could easily see this going the wrong way.

I do appreciate your optimism about how HSR, and rail in general, promotes a new image for a city. I do believe that if Orlando can just break ground, it'll take hold as a new form of transportation that citizens will use and will get behind for expansion. Orlando has always had a way of growing up fast and has a big city feel when in reality it is a pretty small one. In a way, I could see Orlando residents actually learning a thing or two from tourists (mainly British) who will most definitely take advantage of rail if it were in place. It is their most recognizable form of transit and in general are not fond of rental cars especially in the US.

The article says to me that this is now eminent. The time for state bickering and games are over. That being said, Florida really knows how to blow pretty much anything so I could easily see this going the wrong way.

I do appreciate your optimism about how HSR, and rail in general, promotes a new image for a city. I do believe that if Orlando can just break ground, it'll take hold as a new form of transportation that citizens will use and will get behind for expansion. Orlando has always had a way of growing up fast and has a big city feel when in reality it is a pretty small one. In a way, I could see Orlando residents actually learning a thing or two from tourists (mainly British) who will most definitely take advantage of rail if it were in place. It is their most recognizable form of transit and in general are not fond of rental cars especially in the US.

Praha, I'll tell you what, I think that Orlando will embrace rail just with Sunrail alone. I mean, all of the entities supporting it is staggering... from out two major medical centers to every township along the rail line to the four counties involved. wow. all we need is, what, 21 votes to pass it. and to know that it will link to an HSR at some point... wow.

the problem statewide I see with HSR is that Miami has spent $$$ on the MIC and one of its functions is to link with HSR. I don't think HSR will get there, if ever, for many years to come, which is a shame. I thought for sure the first link should've been from Disney to Miami ala the OCCC and OIA. But, it is what it is.

This is my opinion... instead of building the HSR, we should have focus on a light rail. Seriously, who is going to take a train from Orlando Airport to Tampa. Low ridership will eventually shut this thing down and give a reason for the opponent to derail any further expansion. But, somehow I think this thing will eventually change it named to Disney Line. Public money used to build a train for disney.