SunRail

sunshine

I'm assuming you mean this (65MB doc):

North-South Light Rail Draft

This appears to be the most current North-South line, not the failed proposal from the 90s. The earlier proposal had the light rail running right through I-Drive, which was controversial because it would have required the removal of I-Drive's signature landscaping. This proposal seems to skirt around I-Drive, and connects SeaWorld, Universal, North I-Drive, Millenia, Parramore, downtown, and points North on a 22 mile track. I actually much prefer this proposal as I think it is better suited to tourists and residents. This is the key piece in the puzzle, we need this before an East-West link from OIA.

• 3 weeks later...

SunRail deal with Amtrak is close, officials say

Orlando and Florida officials Wednesday said they are confident a deal would be reached next week with Amtrak that would allow them to buy the tracks on which the SunRail commuter train will run.

"We're just going to sit in a room and get it done," predicted Kevin Thibault, the Florida Department of Transportation administrator who oversees SunRail.

SunRail deal with Amtrak close, officials say

Edited by DeepEyez

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously that's not set in stone. Mayor Dyer has said that he wanted it to run for Magic games - many of which will be on the weekends.

I know it will be a "commuter" rail in the beginning, but with the ambition going into stops such as Longwood and Debary as well as great walkable areas such as Downtown and Winter Park, I hope that it offers weekend service as well. I don't expect a ride home from a bar at 2AM...but just morning-afternoon service could help those "TODs" (Transit orientated development) along the rail flourish.

• 4 weeks later...

SunRail would boost Florida Hospital's growth dreams

57945014.jpg

The future of Florida Hospital just north of downtown Orlando could include 10,000 new jobs and a rash of development of include shops, apartments, restaurants, maybe even a hotel.

One of the keys to making that a reality is SunRail, a commuter train scheduled to be running through Central Florida by late 2013.

Without the train, the grand plan dims considerably: Subtract 1,500 jobs and 15 percent of the new construction, for starters.

"It all boils down to 'Can you get your customers to your business?' " said Jody Barry, Florida Hospital's director of facilities development.

Barry and his team calculate that SunRail could daily carry as many as 10,000 people to and from its campus in Orlando's College Park neighborhood if all the plans are realized during the next decade or so.

Read more about SunRail would boost Florida Hospital's growth dreams here >>

Edited by DeepEyez

SunRail: Who Wins?

Congestion relief; construction jobs And economic growth.

Three major promises from people who've been pushing SunRail, the $1.2 Billion, 61-mile, 4-county commuter train project

And no one has been more of a proponent than Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer.

“There is a ton of support for SunRail,” says Dyer.

And according to the Metro Orlando Economic Development Commission, there is a lot of support from major employer’s downtown that could grow and bring workers to the city from remote regions.

“The expansion of I-4 is just not a doable thing for this community,” says State Senator Andy Gardiner, whose unwavering support for SunRail will certainly please government workers. And it'll protect his private sector interests.

Gardiner works as an executive at Orlando Health.

“I would imagine that every hospital, given what's happening in healthcare in this country with the mandates that are coming down, it's inevitable they're going to have to expand. There's no doubt about that,” says Gardiner.

http://www.myfoxorla...unrail-who-wins

Edited by DeepEyez

This whole backward movement gets my blood boiling. It's as if we don't already lose money on 99% of all the roads in the entire state. :angry:

I've come to realize when it comes to politics in this state and country-at-large, the voice of a very vocal conservative minority is all that matters. If they get the ignorant masses to tag along with their backward ideas and trickle-down theories, the progressive and reasonable majority just doesn't matter....... I'm so beyond the political bullshxt at this point because the current state of affairs is utterly disappointing.

I've come to realize when it comes to politics in this state and country-at-large, the voice of a very vocal conservative minority is all that matters. If they get the ignorant masses to tag along with their backward ideas and trickle-down theories, the progressive and reasonable majority just doesn't matter....... I'm so beyond the political bullshxt at this point because the current state of affairs is utterly disappointing.

You should only be disappointed in the electorate, not the elected officials. Elected officials tend to follow the public. Besides, just because you disagree with something, does not make it backwards.

SunRail: Who Wins?

Congestion relief; construction jobs And economic growth.

Three major promises from people who've been pushing SunRail, the $1.2 Billion, 61-mile, 4-county commuter train project

And no one has been more of a proponent than Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer.

“There is a ton of support for SunRail,” says Dyer.

And according to the Metro Orlando Economic Development Commission, there is a lot of support from major employer’s downtown that could grow and bring workers to the city from remote regions.

“The expansion of I-4 is just not a doable thing for this community,” says State Senator Andy Gardiner, whose unwavering support for SunRail will certainly please government workers. And it'll protect his private sector interests.

Gardiner works as an executive at Orlando Health.

“I would imagine that every hospital, given what's happening in healthcare in this country with the mandates that are coming down, it's inevitable they're going to have to expand. There's no doubt about that,” says Gardiner.

http://www.myfoxorla...unrail-who-wins

DeepEyez,

I reviewed the FOX clip and was really intrigued by the Phoenix Newscasters response. I was in Phoenix this summer and would have taken it to Sky Harbor after dropping off the rental car. Two things struck me about the system. It's very centrally located and Phoenix such a low density environment. I understand that the construction period would have caused distress to businesses in the construction zone, but I am curious to know how property values have been subsequently effected. Also, I would love to know if the Cities of Phoenix, Tempe and Mesa upzoned the adjacent land. Unless a concerted effort is employed, people will continue to have "no where" to go on the train. Hopefully, Orlando will follow an upzoning pattern along the rail line to increase ridership and begin the densification process which is required to make rail transit work.