SunRail

sunshine

DeepEyez,

I reviewed the FOX clip and was really intrigued by the Phoenix Newscasters response. I was in Phoenix this summer and would have taken it to Sky Harbor after dropping off the rental car. Two things struck me about the system. It's very centrally located and Phoenix such a low density environment. I understand that the construction period would have caused distress to businesses in the construction zone, but I am curious to know how property values have been subsequently effected. Also, I would love to know if the Cities of Phoenix, Tempe and Mesa upzoned the adjacent land. Unless a concerted effort is employed, people will continue to have "no where" to go on the train. Hopefully, Orlando will follow an upzoning pattern along the rail line to increase ridership and begin the densification process which is required to make rail transit work.

Phoenix RE Broker for Light Rail LIving

• 2 weeks later...

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer I wanted to share exciting news about the Central Florida Commuter Rail project - SunRail. Earlier today, the Florida Department of Transportation finalized the purchase from CSX for the 61-mile SunRail corridor. This act allows SunRail to move forward with a ground breaking in Spring of 2011 which will generate thousands of jobs for our community. The first phase of this project will be open for service by 2013. (via Facebook) http://www.facebook.com/orlandomayor

Edited by DeepEyez

SunRail escrow account moves commuter rail one step closer to construction phase

The SunRail commuter train reached a major milestone Wednesday when the state placed $173 million in an escrow account to pay for the tracks the system would use.

That step potentially places the $1.2 billion project little more than five months away from construction and a late 2013 startup.

"This act sets the stage to make Central Florida a better place for generations to come," said Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer.

The train, beset for years by myriad political and insurance difficulties, is set to run for 61 miles and would link downtown Orlando with Volusia, Seminole and Osceola counties.

Even now, some question whether it will be built because of the lack of a solid commitment from incoming Republican Gov. Rick Scott, who has said he needs to study SunRail and make sure it brings a good return on the state's investment before signing off on it.

http://www.orlandose...,0,440400.story

Edited by DeepEyez

SunRail Means JOBS!

The Florida Department of Transportation invites you to the

SunRail Industry Forum. Learn more about SunRail contracts,

and network with potential vendors.

Friday, February 25, 2011

8:30am to noon – Industry Forum

1pm to 5pm – Networking

Sheraton Orlando Downtown Hotel

400 West Livingston Street

Orlando, FL 32801

To find out more about this free event and pre-register, please

visit www.sunrail.com/forum.asp

http://metroplanorla...forum_flyer.pdf

Edited by DeepEyez

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I imagine this was designed to send a message to rail supporters, but it also sends a message to any business considering doing business in Florida. And the message is this: This guy is a amateurish hack. Ugh. Four years of this? Really?

Here's the web address for sending him an email. I sent mine already. Recommend everyone do the same.

Contact Governor's Office

Edited by FLClarkKent

Trying to stay optimistic here....reasons being:

- He came in and put all +100M contracts on hold. Just to filter them first. Obviously we don't expect him to end road funding and the like.

- I think most people perceive SunRail to already be a done deal and so if it flopped he wouldn't have to take criticism over it as Gov. , whereas if it is a success, he can take credit for the ensuing economic development along the corridor.

- Is he really going to go against Mica's pet project?

However: If he does cancel this thing, then (if it hasn't already been decided by then) it's obvious HSR is done. You don't keep a fairly risky HSR project and kill one of it's support networks that has a lot more sound reasoning for higher ridership (I-4 congestion, future congestion as widening happens, gas prices, etc).

I'm truly not going to sleep well over this tonight. SunRail is a huge game changer in a blatantly obvious way. Frankly, the only people that I talk to about it that really don't get it are the ones that just can't picture urban migration and connected city/town centers. But cmon man - if you're a Governor you should have an ounce of vision - because it doesn't really take that much of a leap of faith regarding this region. Half the stations already have development plans in the works.

Can this guy honestly claim to be pro business and a job creator while decapitating the state's most important investment opportunities? It is no exaggeration to say that Orlando will not recover and ever reach it's potential without these projects. Just when you believe progress is being made, Florida never fails to disappoint, but this I fear is a new low.

Good article. I hope the author is right that Scott realizes there are too many reasons against stopping the project. As for SunRail "showing a return on investment," you mean like our packed, broken roads?

I came to Orlando for college and have had a great time so far. I stayed a couple years after school to work, but now that I'm planning for the future, I really don't think Orlando (or Florida) is where I want to be. Last year I had such high expectations of what was to come, and now it seems Orlando will stay the same, or even get worse. If these are the types of people that get elected, and regardless of party, if this is how they choose to abuse their power, then good riddance.