SunRail

sunshine

Two new articles from Channel 9 news.

Feds Coughing Up Millions More For SunRail

Report: Proposed Fed Funding To Jump-Start SunRail

<h1 class="Headline"></h1>

Who writes these headlines? No wonder people are against it when they use language like "coughing up" and "MILLIONS... MILLIONS... oh, btw, 357 MILLION dollars." Oh well, still good news overall.

That's understandable, because you don't live here, but there are plenty of people that live in our state that are saying we need to stop the high speed SunRail. They don't even realize that we are discussing two rail projects, yet they know that they are supposed to call it a boondoggle.

In all honesty, I did grow up there. I'm a Dr. Phillips grad, went to Lakeview Middle School and am a former EDC intern. In my shock of reading the article I made an error. I hope you can find it in your heart to overlook my mistake.

In all honesty, I did grow up there. I'm a Dr. Phillips grad, went to Lakeview Middle School and am a former EDC intern. In my shock of reading the article I made an error. I hope you can find it in your heart to overlook my mistake.

And beyond that bulldogger, I work for a major real estate investment firm that invests heavily in Central Florida. It's a market I follow very closely and have helped source several deals there.

I wasn't trying to pick on you. Sorry if I upset you.

I am trying to state that the problem isn't you, but a vocal part of the community that still lives here. They speak against something and they don't know much about it. You obviously know what is going on because you have been on this board here for years.

• 2 weeks later...

Orange Blossom Express could ferry commuters between Lake County and Orlando

A long-discussed train gains steam when a state agency agrees to help pay to upgrade tracks

Mention commuter rail and Central Floridians think of SunRail — the line from DeLand to Poinciana via downtown Orlando — or the high-speed train between Orlando and Tampa.

But a proposal for another commuter train is gaining steam: The Orange Blossom Express, which would shuttle passengers between Eustis and downtown Orlando with stops in Apopka andTavares.

For Lake County residents, it could mean commuting to Orlando to work or taking in a Magic game. For Orange County residents, it could provide a hassle-free ride to northeast Lake County to check out, for example, the popular Mount Dora Arts Festival. The Orange Blossom train also could link with SunRail lines in downtown Orlando, supporters say, to create a regional passenger-rail network.

"This is really a unique opportunity for Central Florida," said T.J. Fish, executive director of the Lake-Sumter Metropolitan Planning Organization. "I tell people that if we have train stations, that land will be close to the value of beachfront property. That's been proven all over the country."

The Orange Blossom trains "feasibly" could be up and running by early 2014, Fish said, and could draw from as many as 200,000 residents in north Lake County.

Orange Blossom Express - Lake County to Downtown Orlando

Edited by DeepEyez

Orange Blossom Express could ferry commuters between Lake County and Orlando

Oh yeah, I read about this a while back and wondered what happened to it. So glad to see the plan hasn't disappeared. I hope they go through with it. With all the planned improvements to the line and the relatively low cost, I don't see why they wouldn't... other than the usual naysayers.

Edit: Found the detailed newsletter I saw a couple months ago, if anyone's interested. Maybe the project will get its own thread once it's approved ;-)

Edited by alex

Alas, passenger and freight rail don't mix in this country. No technical reason, just that operationally freight railroads aren't willing to work to make it work.

I believe that is a lightly used line though for freight, right? If all of the freight is banned during the rush hours, I think they should be willing to work together. This is also a shorter line with slower speeds (top proposed speed is 60mph), so it may be more compatible with freight. I believe they're waiting on this line to make sure SunRail is really approved and will only pursue it then...

Kind of makes me sad they yanked out the tracks that went to downtown Oviedo from downtown Orlando. That would have been a great spur.

Yes ... Oviedo to downtown is a crap drive. Especially if you're in that weird spot where you're not quite close to 417 @ University and not quite close to 417 @ Red Bug. Such as right along Seminole county line.

I agree, a third spur to Oviedo (after north/south and Eustis) would make a great addition. At the same time, something going towards UCF/Research Park would be great, too. That's thousands of students, many don't have cars (or would prefer not to need one). I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but how awesome would it be to have a tram/light rail system - like in Houston, Portland, and increasingly more American cities - go down the Colonial median?

MetroRail.jpgStreetcar.jpg

Imagine these stops on the 14 mile route:

• UCF Central Bus Station
  • Research Park (Research Park circulator bus?)
  • 50/Alafaya (connecting bus to Waterford Lakes/Avalon Park?)
  • 50/Econ (connecting bus to Valencia East Campus?)
  • 50/Semoran (connecting bus to OIA?)
  • Executive Airport
  • 50/Bumby/Fashion Square Mall area
  • 50/Mills/Little Vietnam area
  • 50/Orange
  • Lynx Central Station / SunRail Station

I know construction-wise it would be a challenge, but I bet the ridership would be there. Just brainstorming and hoping that at least SunRail makes it through this disaster...

Edit: Cool video. I think light rail would sell better because it's sleeker looking and much quieter.

Edited by alex

I don't think that the land use around just about any of those stops would support rail as it stands now.

Especially Waterford Lakes.

Agreed, not enough density for LRT. Also, space wise I'm pretty sure most of SR50 doesn't have enough of a median for LRT, and would thus need to be elevated, raising construction costs significantly. What Colonial needs is a good BRT system, with its own ROW and control over traffic lights.