SunRail

sunshine

More Central Floridians are taking the bus

"...Ridership at Lynx is up more than 10 percent. If the trend continues, Lynx will top its record of 27.2 million passengers, which was set in 2008 — the last time gas spiked to almost $4 a gallon. ..."

"...Lynx's most popular route — drawing 2.3 million people last year — goes from the downtown terminal to the International Drive tourist corridor. ..."

"...He is restructuring routes to get buses to emerging employment centers such as Lake Nona, where a new medical hub is developing. Lewis also is counting on SunRail, the planned commuter train that would link downtown Orlando with Volusia, Seminole and Osceola counties. Gov. Rick Scott has put the $1.2 billion project on hold but has promised to decide its fate by July. If the train gets up and running, Lynx would provide shuttle services to and from many of the 17 stations. ..."

It looks like SunRail is getting overwhelmingly positive press from all types of people, everyone from developers (hospitals, Creative Village, downtowns) to planners, politicians to public transit users. I think a strong link between the airport and I-Drive/Disney that involves SunRail will really make it a success. If buses can manage to attract over 6,000 people per day to travel between downtown and I-Drive, imagine what it could do for tourists, convention center visitors, and locals.

While we wait on a critical decision to be made, I like to think of the nearly endless options we'll have to create a regional network. Looking around for examples, I came across Minneapolis/St.Paul's MetroTransit. I moved from there right before it opened, but looking at it now I'm impressed by two things:

1. The light rail (2004) is only 12 miles but links to most of the important landmarks: Airport, Mall of America, Metrodome, the new Target Field, and of course downtown. It's also used as a free connector between the two airport terminals. In 2010 it was expanded to the suburbs via commuter rail. I know SunRail isn't a cure-all, but it's 61 miles long and somehow still skips the airport, I-Drive, convention center, and theme parks - not to mention UCF, Lake Nona, and the beach cities.

2. They have some great pricing ideas. One that stuck out was a 6-hour Event Pass ($4 weekday/$3.50 weekend). Imagine somebody from Lake Mary hopping on the train to see a Magic game and getting home for $2 each way. They also have a U-Pass for $97 per semester - that's less than what you pay to park at UCF!

Hopefully the Orange Blossom and some sort of light rail happen sooner than later.

1. The light rail (2004) is only 12 miles but links to most of the important landmarks: Airport, Mall of America, Metrodome, the new Target Field, and of course downtown. It's also used as a free connector between the two airport terminals. In 2010 it was expanded to the suburbs via commuter rail. I know SunRail isn't a cure-all, but it's 61 miles long and somehow still skips the airport, I-Drive, convention center, and theme parks - not to mention UCF, Lake Nona, and the beach cities.

This is basically Paula Dockery's criticism of SunRail, that it will not be a cure-all and reach some of the regions most important tourist destinations. But, commuter rail and light rail have fundamentally different purposes. Commuter rail is designed to get passengers from point A to B across a longer distance, typically from the suburbs to the city and back again. SunRail's planned route does just that, and if I might say, in an impressive way. It cuts right through the historic spine of Central Florida, the cities with traditional downtowns and enough density and urban spread to support an initial commuter rail line in the region (where people will actually want to hop off a train or wait for one), and to reap the economic benefits of commuter rail almost immediately (transit oriented development is a lot easier to stitch together when the fabric already exists). I like to think this was a smart move on behalf of Central Florida. This is the type of development that builds community pride and identity.

East Orange/UCF: I think this area would be better serviced by a rapid bus transit line (like those in Mexico City or the Silver Line in Boston). This area just does not boost the urban density needed to nourish a rail line.

I could see light rail along 434 starting at the Longwood SunRail station...serving Winter Springs, Oviedo, UCF, Waterford, Avalon Park and ending at 528.

Commuters from Brevard could Park and Ride there to a variety of places. It could also calm Alafaya down near UCF.

Scott's budget announcement came today. He didn't veto SunRail specifically but did raid the transportation trust fund. I'm not sure what impact that could have on the rail?

I could see light rail along 434 starting at the Longwood SunRail station...serving Winter Springs, Oviedo, UCF, Waterford, Avalon Park and ending at 528.

Commuters from Brevard could Park and Ride there to a variety of places. It could also calm Alafaya down near UCF.

Scott's budget announcement came today. He didn't veto SunRail specifically but did raid the transportation trust fund. I'm not sure what impact that could have on the rail?

Rail along 434 is an interesting idea. I wonder if that would ever work. Density is definitely increasing along 434 near UCF. Just look at the new 4-6 story apartment buildings going up on the west side of 434. I lived in Oviedo on the Seminole/Orange county border in 2007. 434 was a nightmare then. I can't imagine it has gotten much better in 4 years ... But, then again, the Rouse widening project looks done and I'm sure that helps the University to Colonial stretch of 434.

This is basically Paula Dockery's criticism of SunRail, that it will not be a cure-all and reach some of the regions most important tourist destinations. But, commuter rail and light rail have fundamentally different purposes. Commuter rail is designed to get passengers from point A to B across a longer distance, typically from the suburbs to the city and back again. SunRail's planned route does just that, and if I might say, in an impressive way. ...

East Orange/UCF: I think this area would be better serviced by a rapid bus transit line (like those in Mexico City or the Silver Line in Boston). This area just does not boost the urban density needed to nourish a rail line.

That's true. If you look at it that way, SunRail perfectly fulfills its purpose. I guess I'm just anxious that we won't see another rail development for years, so I want Central Florida to get the most it can from SunRail. On one hand, I'm glad it's not "just for tourists," something people thought about HSR which may have helped make it unpopular. Citizens feel like SunRail is for them, the "taxpayers" as they love to call themselves. Maybe a that Airport - Sandlake Road - International Drive - Disney light rail mentioned a while back will happen.

Rail along 434 is an interesting idea. I wonder if that would ever work. Density is definitely increasing along 434 near UCF. Just look at the new 4-6 story apartment buildings going up on the west side of 434. I lived in Oviedo on the Seminole/Orange county border in 2007. 434 was a nightmare then. I can't imagine it has gotten much better in 4 years ... But, then again, the Rouse widening project looks done and I'm sure that helps the University to Colonial stretch of 434.

I'm not sure what to think about that whole area. I've said before, it would be great to have something go down 50 connecting Downtown - UCF (and maybe Cocoa/Beach), and something else going north/south from Oviedo to Waterford Lakes (and maybe even to Lake Nona). But I was really disappointed when the short-lived UCF - Waterford Lakes bus route shut down. When a bus route like that can't tap into a 50k+ pedestrian campus (albeit commuter campus), there's something wrong with either the route, the price, or the marketing. Last I drove from Eastwood to UCF it was still very congested - on a Saturday, no less.

This is basically Paula Dockery's criticism of SunRail, that it will not be a cure-all and reach some of the regions most important tourist destinations.

How utterly short-sighted of her. We need to get this area used to rail transit & this project is the best, most cost-effective starting point we could ask for. Once we get it built & running, then we can talk about adding on to it or even going with something different & better.

But, commuter rail and light rail have fundamentally different purposes. Commuter rail is designed to get passengers from point A to B across a longer distance, typically from the suburbs to the city and back again. SunRail's planned route does just that, and if I might say, in an impressive way. It cuts right through the historic spine of Central Florida, the cities with traditional downtowns and enough density and urban spread to support an initial commuter rail line in the region (where people will actually want to hop off a train or wait for one), and to reap the economic benefits of commuter rail almost immediately (transit oriented development is a lot easier to stitch together when the fabric already exists). I like to think this was a smart move on behalf of Central Florida. This is the type of development that builds community pride and identity.

Dockery's protests are probably mostly politically oriented.

Not sure I agree with that. Been out to Avalon Park recently? That place is a city in itself. The east side is booming & it would be great to have a commuter rail line in place before not having one becomes a liability.

• 2 weeks later...

If it does get approved, will there still be a stop at the airport or a connector without the HSR? I know in south florida, a major reason a lot of people tried out Tri-Rail was to either avoid parking fees and have a closer pickup/drop off spot for those travelling... With the cost of airport parking and the hassle of pickups with flight delays and what not, I think it'd add significantly to ridership of the line.

HSR is already dead. There is an anticipated connector to the airport, but it is not in the immediate plans. People will probably have to stop at the Sand Lake Road station and then transfer to a Lynx line to the airport. It will not be heavily traveled for that use, although, people coming from out of town trying to stay at I-Drive would ride one. I wonder if Orlando could support Super Shuttle?

LYNX also runs from downtown directly to the airport. There might even be two routes that do that trip.

We'll get there. I flew into Dulles this spring and the Metro rail didn't go there so we took the express bus for $6 (they also had Super Shuttle options but I try to take public transit whenever I can. Nice buses that had luggage racks and only made 2 stops at Park & Ride lots along the way. An hour later we were in town and on the rail line.

I wonder if they'd try an express bus that would run 408 >417>528? Only real way to do it without putting a bus only lane on 436

If SunRail moves forward, Lake County wants a Eustis-Orlando train

Between this and the potential east Orange link that is being talked about if SunRail is approved we could easily see a regional rail system within the next ten years.

I wonder how if this Orange Blossom Express (a name which I love) would affect the True Grit train that Tavaresis currently getting. Maybe both could work on the tracks creating a tourist attraction itself, similar to the

train that runs each Christmas season.

I'm both cautiously optimistic and frustrated by that article. On one hand, the fact that the transportation chief is going around "warning" officials about SunRail tells me that it is likely to get approved by Scott (if not, why would he waste the time and effort this late in the game?), and on the other hand, it's the same old small minded Florida politics. Damn, you'd think a commuter train was some crazy new invention never before tested. Build the damn thing, already.

SunRail's supporters need to champion the train at meetings on June 28

Anybody free next Tuesday? ;-)

Volusia County

6:45 to 7:45 a.m.

2570 W. International Speedway Blvd.

Daytona Beach

Seminole County

8:30 to 9:30 a.m.

1101 E. First St.

Sanford

City of Maitland

Noon to 1 p.m.

location not yet finalized

City of Orlando

2 to 3 p.m.

400 S. Orange Ave.

Orlando

Orange County

4 to 5 p.m.

201 S. Rosalind Ave.

Orlando

Also, "On June 30, Washington is expected to commit to funding half of the project's Phase I costs." Really?

If SunRail moves forward, Lake County wants a Eustis-Orlando train

Between this and the potential east Orange link that is being talked about if SunRail is approved we could easily see a regional rail system within the next ten years.

I wonder how if this Orange Blossom Express (a name which I love) would affect the True Grit train that Tavaresis currently getting. Maybe both could work on the tracks creating a tourist attraction itself, similar to the

train that runs each Christmas season.

Has there been more information on this? While they seem to say its as far long in planning as SunRail, stop locations and such aren't even clear yet... is it still supposed to have a stop in Winter Garden still? And are they phasing it? I'd love to see more about this project...

Has there been more information on this? While they seem to say its as far long in planning as SunRail, stop locations and such aren't even clear yet... is it still supposed to have a stop in Winter Garden still? And are they phasing it? I'd love to see more about this project...

I meant to include this link also:

http://www.lakecountyfl.gov/pdfs/green_symposium/2010/nelson_orange_blossom_express.pdf