City of Orlando

2 to 3 p.m.

400 S. Orange Ave.

Orlando

Orange County

4 to 5 p.m.

201 S. Rosalind Ave.

Orlando

Also, "On June 30, Washington is expected to commit to funding half of the project's Phase I costs." Really?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agreed.  I hate that people make things for PEOPLE about politics.  There is no partisan divide on things that help all of us.  I don't care if you're rich and never ride a SunRail train.  The pe

Just heard Downtown Kissimmee to Downtown Orlando will be shorter than a 30 minute trip.    That’s fantastic!

https://www.transit.dot.gov/ntd/ntd-data The FTA released their monthly update of transit ridership for August, the first month the southern expansion was open. Sunrail ridership increased 70% fr

Posted Images

If SunRail moves forward, Lake County wants a Eustis-Orlando train

Between this and the potential east Orange link that is being talked about if SunRail is approved we could easily see a regional rail system within the next ten years.

I wonder how if this Orange Blossom Express (a name which I love) would affect the True Grit train that Tavaresis currently getting. Maybe both could work on the tracks creating a tourist attraction itself, similar to the

train that runs each Christmas season.

Has there been more information on this? While they seem to say its as far long in planning as SunRail, stop locations and such aren't even clear yet... is it still supposed to have a stop in Winter Garden still? And are they phasing it? I'd love to see more about this project...

Has there been more information on this? While they seem to say its as far long in planning as SunRail, stop locations and such aren't even clear yet... is it still supposed to have a stop in Winter Garden still? And are they phasing it? I'd love to see more about this project...

I meant to include this link also:

http://www.lakecountyfl.gov/pdfs/green_symposium/2010/nelson_orange_blossom_express.pdf

I can't believe the highest rated comment was 100% about HSR. That, and most of the other comments, show that NYTimes commenters are just as dumb as Sentinel commenters.

I really expect more from such an important national newspaper. I feel like a lot of facts (job creation, development around stations, Florida Hospital, Creative Village, start of a larger network, improved freight movement) were pushed aside to make room for "facts" like cost overruns (has there been any evidence that this could happen?).

Governor's SunRail decision could come this week

Same old information we've been hearing. However, I was pleased to see that in the "Should Gov. Rick Scott Give SunRail the Go-ahead?" poll, over 75% of people said Yes.

Also, Scott's dismal ratings made it onto the Colbert Report (starting at 1:50, via blutown).

Won't take my link, so here it is: www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/390704/june-27-2011/tip-wag---scented-razors---rick-scott-s-approval-rating

Edited by alex

I still can't find a time table for this. For example, I would like to know exactly how long it will take to go from Winter Park to Sand Lake Road. Also, what are some opinions on:

1. Orange Blossom Express

2. Connection to airport via OUC spur

3. Disney private money connection to Poinciana Station

I still can't find a time table for this. For example, I would like to know exactly how long it will take to go from Winter Park to Sand Lake Road. Also, what are some opinions on:

1. Orange Blossom Express

2. Connection to airport via OUC spur

3. Disney private money connection to Poinciana Station

I remember seeing a time table at one point as well. I searched, but was unable to find it. I will keep looking smile.gif.

1.) The orange blossom express can work, depending on the transit times. I can see people commuting all the way from Lake County to our CBD. Let's hope the sunrail will act as a boon to grow our downtown even further and hopefully see a small manhattanization.

2. & 3.) As far as the other two I cannot comment because I know to little about.

Do you think that the train will boost Sanford International Airport being that it is not as crowded at MCO?

Edited by XpressEnterprise

I would ride the OBX for its namesake alone.

Poinciana to Disney: I don't see it. You do raise a valid point, though. Why isn't Disney providing express shuttle bus service for its cast members from Poinciana, Four Corners, etc?

World Drive actually dead-ends pretty close to the Poinciana station (see link). There would be some wetland issues but it does not seem too crazy. A rail spine running up and down World Drive seems ideal to me.

So this means lots of new construction announcements in the next few years. Any word on that long forgotten about Church St Hilton? I think with Amway, the Performing Arts Center, and now SunRail coming makes this site all the better for a nice hotel.

Hopefully the Gertrude's Walk (by far the worst name of any project that I have ever heard!!) will be spurred on by the SunRail news. It would be nice for this to be finished around the same time.

Also let's not forget the Orange Blossom Express that Mica mentioned could be an easy second rail that could come online soon after SunRail.

Mica predicted government approvals will have the Orange Blossom Express running a close second to SunRail and possibly connect to it. He said the big sell to the public is that only a fraction of taxpayer money would be needed -- about $20 million for minor track improvements and a ridership study compared with the $1.2 billion SunRail project."That’s what I like about this. There’s not a lot of taxpayer money, but what we have is a cost-effective alternative," Mica said. "An existing private rail line to not only move passengers but also more freight more safely and economically."The Florida Department of Transportation has already agreed to pay three-quarters of the cost, so communities would split roughly $5 million in costs. Apopka will be deciding its share as soon as this month.

Read more: http://www.wesh.com/news/28160897/detail.html#ixzz1QuYXSft9

With SunRail and OBX Central Florida could easily have a 'almost' entire region connected by end of the decade. Let's hope that the OCCC/OIA link gets some funding soon, along with the briefly mentioned Avalon Park link. The Lake Nona/OIA system could easily link to Avalon and all the way up to UCF. Why can't the Lake Nona/OIA also be the OCCC system? I expect the Lake Nona system to happen sooner than later. Once Florida Hospital and ORMC starts getting all the attention from SunRail all those Lake Nona medical groups will want to be on the next big thing and the Lake Nona developers will drum up support and $ for this rail connection link.

Between all this possible rail, BRT expansion (is the BRT lanes still planned for Altamonte? and when will the Parramore expansion of Lymmo start, will it be done before SunRail gets its first riders?), the community spaces Orlando is in the midst of building (DPAC, redo of Church St, the improved Lake Eola, possible Lake Ivanhoe improvements, and the Creative Village) and the new developments in town that this will create by then end of this decade Orlando will be completely different. Welcome to the 21st Century Orlando.

It's definitely a win for Central Florida progressives. Hopefully, this will open the eyes to so many that view commuter rail as a boondoggle. I for one am convinced that ridership estimates are conservative and will help to alleviate congestion on I-4 especially considering that growth will continue for at least the next 50 years. I hope that this will begin to create a dense urban spine that will attract the type of buildings and architecture that will help Orlando become Florida's preeminent city. Now, if we can just get that Federal Reserve Bank branch... :whistling:

• sunshine changed the title to SunRail