SunRail

sunshine

I wonder if Lynx Central Station will ever be a true central station for trains. It's not uncommon to have a platform with 1 - 2 tracks per line, so in this case 2 platforms with 3 - 4 tracks. A comparable city of Orlando's size in Europe would have 6 - 10 platforms with 12 - 20 tracks (not including separate freight tracks). I know we won't have that kind of train traffic for decades (if ever), but it doesn't look like the space would even support more than just the two current tracks -- which is a shame, since the Lynx station is pretty nice and in an ideal location.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are links to transit oriented development concepts for each of the SunRail stations -- I'm not aware that these have been posted here before. Some of these are incredibly ambitious (Sand Lake, Osceola Parkway, Poinciana) while others show how SunRail can aid already established downtowns with infill development. Crucial to the success of SunRail will be how TOD is implemented around each of the SunRail stations.

Beware, big files:

Deland to Winter Park: http://www.sunrail.com/Assets/tod%20sketchbook%202011%20update%20section%203a.pdf

Florida Hospital to Poinciana: http://www.sunrail.com/Assets/tod%20sketchbook%202011%20update%20section%203b.pdf

What were the reasons that this didn't pass the first time? Maybe this new proposal is the same group with the recommendations given from the last meeting. IMO not having High Speed rail would actually make this OIA, FLA Mall, OCCC rail even more profitable. Could we convince them to swing this thing up past the convention center and have stops at I-Walk and I-Shops as well?

What were the reasons that this didn't pass the first time? Maybe this new proposal is the same group with the recommendations given from the last meeting. IMO not having High Speed rail would actually make this OIA, FLA Mall, OCCC rail even more profitable. Could we convince them to swing this thing up past the convention center and have stops at I-Walk and I-Shops as well?

I think if they were going to extend past the Convention Center, going all the way to Universal would be the next choice for a terminal. And of course a stop at Sand Lake & Orange!

If they go all the way to Universal why not up to Valencia West? Having Valencia West connected with I-Drive and UCF-Rosen along with the Florida Mall, SunRail, and OIA only makes sense.

On the OIA side why not have this extend into Lake Nona and connect at least that section of the proposed Avalon/UCF/Sanford Airport line? Having Nona connected should be a major priority as that area in the coming years ramps up its amount of employees and residents.

The "OIA Connector" is being studied by FDOT with funding from the City as well (Alternatives Analysis)

The video appears to show that at one time something was in the works, but not anymore. I'm sure the private companies numbers were no longer good once HSR was rejected.

SunRail starting to showcase its worth

<p class="shareTop" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opinion/os-ed-sunrail-102911-20111028,0,7811286.story

Sounds like a great proposal. The original NYC Subways were all run by private companies. It wasn't a public endeavor until later. I'm not sure about the exact date, but I know that each line privately funded initially.

I thought there was privately run elevated rail, but nobody wanted to tackle underground.

(note: well I was mistaken. Thanks for that, mrh3. A fascinating study of New York public transportation initiated by you. Thanks!)

Edited by Boomer136

TALLAHASSEE – On November 3, 2011, the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) completed the purchase of the 61-mile SunRail commuter rail corridor owned by CSX. The purchase means work will soon start on the construction of the first phase of the commuter rail system.

Secretary Prasad said:

"Today's purchase is another important step in the process to bring SunRail commuter rail to Central Florida. All along the way, the Department has worked closely with federal, state, local and private partners to help achieve the vision to deliver the most effective and efficient commuter rail system in the country.

Our partnership with CSX, and today’s announcement of their increased infrastructure investment in Florida to $500 million over the next 8 years, will improve the movement of freight and commuters throughout the state, will increase the capacity and efficiency of Florida’s ports, and will make Florida the best place to live, work, and visit.”

With the purchase of the corridor, the State’s contractors will begin to manage and maintain the 61-mile corridor including signal and track maintenance. Today’s closing will also enable contractors to begin construction on Phase I of SunRail which will include the double-tracking, signal improvements, stations and operations control center. Construction will start this year.The 31-mile first phase of SunRail will serve 12 stations, linking DeBary to Orlando. Phase II will serve 5 additional stations, north to DeLand and south to Poinciana. Service for Phase I is expected to begin in early 2014.

• Like 1

Looks like sunshine has a good source - I have heard the same thing about the private company looking to do a maglev type rail along that route.

That said, the DOT/municipalities are also looking into that corridor as well as the Lake County-Downtown "Orange Blossom Express" for rail options.

You mean all the conventioneers and tourists who have to rent cars otherwise wouldn't rather just take this train to the convention area or I-drive? We got 50 million visitors last year, why wouldn't it have enough ridership?

Edited by Pete C

They need to close the loop to connect Disney with I-Drive. Tourists are going to look at that map and laugh at the fact that they'd have to stop seven times to get from their hotel by the convention center to Disney when the two stations are less than 10 miles apart.

Also, isn't one of Maglev's biggest draws is that it can travel at very high speeds? How would it be able to do so when the stations are so close together as they are along the Sand Lake corridor? North of the airport, this system appears to be something of a glorified light rail proposal.

Clearly they need to connect the I-Drive area to Disney, either down I-Drive or I-4 and then eliminate everything south of the airport. From the airport, everyone would have a one-seat ride for all stops without having to make any decisions. I wish that Disney would extend it further south (down World Drive) to the Poinciana Sunrail station. That would complete a nice loop and would make it easy for folks from Tampa to get there if we ever get inter-city service to/from Tampa on the CSX tracks. Nonetheless, it's very exciting that these ideas are at least being looked into.